Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

VCBR, yes it looks VERY involved, even for Novice! And to get a NRD title you not only have to pass but WIN I think! Would so love to do it one day but for me to find the time I would have to give up obedience and agility and there is no way I am parting ways with obedience :D

I was told yesterday RS that starting this year there is a new title for succsessfully completeing all 3 retrieves in 5 trials regardless of placings. They are trying to make the sport more approcable!

VCBR, yes it looks VERY involved, even for Novice! And to get a NRD title you not only have to pass but WIN I think! Would so love to do it one day but for me to find the time I would have to give up obedience and agility and there is no way I am parting ways with obedience :D

I was told yesterday RS that starting this year there is a new title for succsessfully completeing all 3 retrieves in 5 trials regardless of placings. They are trying to make the sport more approcable!

Sounds good! Silly question but how far are the retrieves??

Sounds good! Silly question but how far are the retrieves??

The length varies, yesterday the first retrieve was about 60-70m, the second one was maybe 150m and over two hills and through a river and the final one was probably around 250m out in the river. The first retrieve and parts of the second the handler couldn't see the dog so it looked super tricky and relied on lots of trust.

It's not like tracking with set distances, it's just whatever the judge decides.

There are set rules for retrieving trials, just like all the other disciplines. For Novice, there is a single mark retrieve, and the maximum distance this can be is 100 metres. Terrain often decides how long a retrieve can be, as a mark must have a skyline, and obviously we want the dog to see it well so he can mark it down and do a no nonsense retrieve. The Novice yesterday was within the rules for distance, with the first mark being about 60 metres max. The second run had very difficult terrrain between the handler and the fall, but I walked out there and the distance was not overlength at all. Sometimes the difficulty of the terrain makes it appear longer than it is.

The final run had a mark landing in water with a good splash, and this would have been close to the 100 metre length. So, you see, the judges do have to abide by the rules, especially for the lower levels. Sometimes in All Age you will find a judge that strays beyond the 150 metre maximum distance, and I have experienced retrieves over 200 metres at that level. Not in the rules, but how do you prove it.

Ann and Trick did a lovely job of the Novice retrieves and were very worthy of their first placing. Allan and Finn also did well, and Sonja and Kajsa were right up there. Eleven dogs competed and five finished the trial. Restricted was much more difficult, and nine dogs started and only one finished. Remember, all judges are different in how they set a trial, and as you attend trials you will see that the dogs are challenged in their retrieves but each judge will have their own stamp on what type of task they set.

4531716388_533ce9ef19_o.jpg

Aww there's my little man! :thumbsup:

Winpara you must have a good zoom lens to capture him looking so big, and it looks like he is jumping heaps higher than 300 :D

I saw you with Mia, she is very cute!

Poor little Kyzer slept pretty much all yesterday, he had a big weekend!

Well that is really good news!! I love retrieving, damn you retrieving for not being possible for me :D

Awesome photos, Winpara!!! I keep wondering if anybody will take nice ones at obedience, it's always at agility where the "action" is :thumbsup: Looks like I may have to work hard in agility training so one day my girl can have gorgeous photos taken :thumbsup:

:D Well I am not very good at estimating distances at all! It may also appear longer from the gallery :thumbsup: .

There are set rules for retrieving trials, just like all the other disciplines. For Novice, there is a single mark retrieve, and the maximum distance this can be is 100 metres. Terrain often decides how long a retrieve can be, as a mark must have a skyline, and obviously we want the dog to see it well so he can mark it down and do a no nonsense retrieve. The Novice yesterday was within the rules for distance, with the first mark being about 60 metres max. The second run had very difficult terrrain between the handler and the fall, but I walked out there and the distance was not overlength at all. Sometimes the difficulty of the terrain makes it appear longer than it is.

The final run had a mark landing in water with a good splash, and this would have been close to the 100 metre length. So, you see, the judges do have to abide by the rules, especially for the lower levels. Sometimes in All Age you will find a judge that strays beyond the 150 metre maximum distance, and I have experienced retrieves over 200 metres at that level. Not in the rules, but how do you prove it.

Winpara - lovely photos!!

Well done to everyone who did well in retrieving yesterday. I would love to have gone but i had an OES open show... a shame really as the show turned out to be a bit of a flop for Charlie and I! must remember to check that crystal ball every once in a while :D

Rubystar, remember you are doing Novice Jumping in June ;)

;) Bad influence!! :laugh:

The idea was fun, but the reality is a big fat NO WAY! :D

Ask me again in June 2011 and I'll see how brave and ready I am feeling then :)

Unless there is anyone out there with a semi-experienced agility dog who doesn't mind a newbie handler giving their dog a shot :) :D

Edited by RubyStar

Unless there is anyone out there with a semi-experienced agility dog who doesn't mind a newbie handler giving their dog a shot :laugh: :laugh:

I could always ask J if you can do a NFC Novice jumping round with Abbey :thumbsup: Although she may be preggers then...

Unless there is anyone out there with a semi-experienced agility dog who doesn't mind a newbie handler giving their dog a shot :mad:rofl:

I could always ask J if you can do a NFC Novice jumping round with Abbey :laugh: Although she may be preggers then...

:thumbsup: But I understand the liklihood of others wanting someone else to handle their dog, especially a newbie handler, are slim :laugh:

Unless there is anyone out there with a semi-experienced agility dog who doesn't mind a newbie handler giving their dog a shot :mad:rofl:

I could always ask J if you can do a NFC Novice jumping round with Abbey :laugh: Although she may be preggers then...

:thumbsup: But I understand the liklihood of others wanting someone else to handle their dog, especially a newbie handler, are slim :laugh:

I would offer you Toby to run when I am at work so have to miss trials but he is too naughty and it wouldn't be something to get you into agility but something that would scare you away