Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

fetchindawgs - i hope you come back in here soon.. i just want to ask one question about retrieving (anyone else who has done it feel free to answer)

when you have the dog to heal next to you, do they need to sit or can they be in a down position? did some practice the other day and Ari had a great wait, but she seemed to be much better in a down position than a sit... is there a rule there that it must be a sit?

fetchindawgs - i hope you come back in here soon.. i just want to ask one question about retrieving (anyone else who has done it feel free to answer)

when you have the dog to heal next to you, do they need to sit or can they be in a down position? did some practice the other day and Ari had a great wait, but she seemed to be much better in a down position than a sit... is there a rule there that it must be a sit?

Hi sparkyTansy, back again after a weekend of trialing.

Re your question, you are allowed to have your dog in a sit, stand or drop position and this is allowed when you are at the gun steward, after heeling to the firing point, and also for whistle control in the field, where you may whistle your dog to stop and it may either be a sit, stand or drop. So, you will be fine with Ari.

If you wish to go over the rules of retrieving, then go to the ANKC website where the new rules are listed. Remember it is for "retrieving" not spaniels & setters, or field.

Fetchindawgs I have a question too. I have brought a bumper that is a good size for Lincoln and I have been working on getting him to love it and making it very special (he will now happily pick it up and walk around with it). Now where do I go from here without ruining him?

Am I reading right in that there won't be any agility trials after the Nationals until 6th June? Crikey! (not including Bunbury and Gero)

Lol you will just have to come to dog shows :thumbsup:

Toby won't even be able to go the 6th of June because I have a Rally Seminar.

Yes I am hooked, have 9 novice agility Runs and 9 novice jumping runs over less than 3 weeks (not including if we get in any finals :thumbsup::cry: ) and I really don't want to have 2 out of 3 passes then have to wait over a month for another go at getting a pass :thumbsup: Yes I'm being optimistic :thumbsup:

Am I reading right in that there won't be any agility trials after the Nationals until 6th June? Crikey! (not including Bunbury and Gero)

The seminar is July :thumbsup: .

The seminar is July :thumbsup: .

Well that changes things :cry: Me and Toby will be at agility on June 6th then :thumbsup: . I am opposite to you Amypie, Toby's weaves are still a work in progress so I have nothing to do until he knows them if I get three passes.

Lol you will just have to come to dog shows ;)

Isnt the seminar in July or is that a diff one?

Sorry DoodleBliss, I forgot to welcome you! ;)

Hi there RubyStar! Thanks :thumbsup: Ur labs r gorgeous!!

I think that ValleyCBR can do good signatures Doodlebliss :thumbsup:

Yes you can pimp out my sig skills ST :thumbsup: I would love to make you one with Ari, Char and James (I actually have pics of all 3) all I need is Spartan...

Thanks for the tip ST. Looks like I may have to call on ur skills one day ValleyCBR :thumbsup: But first, I've gotta take better pics of Ozzie... apparently I'm too slow for him, he always move just as I click... or maybe I just need a better camera. Hmm...time to write to 'Santa' :thumbsup:

Well that changes things :thumbsup: Me and Toby will be at agility on June 6th then ;) . I am opposite to you Amypie, Toby's weaves are still a work in progress so I have nothing to do until he knows them if I get three passes.

I still haven't figured out where our weaves are, maybe at 75% accuracy? Maybe in the month off I'll try and retrain him with the 2x2 method :thumbsup:

Guest RosieFT

sparky - glad I was not the only one misreading Amy's words... however, ahem, i might just add that I *should* have known as she had been helping me out with learning the front cross not long before this and those words of wisdom *did* help me alot. It just was that when i read them online, well i thought maybe there was some agility guru i was supposed to be channelling that ranted about turning into your dog.. literally to understand them. ahem.. ok , so now we all know i am a *touch* blonde sometimes.....

also, thanks for the info re OES. I knew someone years ago who had one as the family dog on a sheep farm and he was always pretty dirty LOL

RS - congrats to you and Ruby - she was a super star. You will have to find something for Millie to excel at now!

I don't have equipment as such... i have used a plank (actually long, wide floating floor board) covered in foam to train for the dog walk and contacts etc. Also very embarrassingly, still get away with my poles and pot plants as holders.... i know.. and you thought somebody elses jumps could potentially be embarrassing to be brought out the other night.. LOL . But they serve a purpose. I just need to make some proper ones so i can go off the property to get more flat ground and practice like you guys do!!

Oh, i also have a collapsible tunnel - ahem.. my kids' old tunnel from ikea ROFL ..

Apparantly, all you need is 'one jump' right?

I don't actually practice enough though! as i am sure you can tell :-)

Weaves are something i am going to research before i try and teach though! will need help with that. Wonder if my super instructor with terrier intuition can give me any pointers about those and 'turning into my dog' hee

DB - welcome :-)

Oh and I have a WA bred dog - only one breeder of SFT in Perth as far as I am aware.... but she does have an American import for a grandfather :-)

Guest RosieFT

oh and I am well and truly over my sugar high.. you will all be pleased to note... back to our normal programming....

There's a fair gap in obedience trials after this weekend too, me thinks :rofl: Hate long waits, especially now that I am just chasing one more pass for her CD title!

I've only just started agility and I am getting hooked! Can't wait to be at trialling stage there in about 5 years :)

Well that changes things :laugh: Me and Toby will be at agility on June 6th then :rofl: . I am opposite to you Amypie, Toby's weaves are still a work in progress so I have nothing to do until he knows them if I get three passes.

I still haven't figured out where our weaves are, maybe at 75% accuracy? Maybe in the month off I'll try and retrain him with the 2x2 method :)

Yeah I might start teaching weaves soon, just to add to the gazillion other things I need to teach!

RosieFT - you can easily make pvc jumps. Even dummy me managed to make some! They don't break like somebody's did last night :sleep: ;) Well ok, I need to glue them in parts to prevent them slipping apart when moving them, but the jump cups are nice and sturdy!! Amy's look so professional though, with the caps and tape! I'm yet to do that for mine.

There's a fair gap in obedience trials after this weekend too, me thinks :rofl: Hate long waits, especially now that I am just chasing one more pass for her CD title!

I've only just started agility and I am getting hooked! Can't wait to be at trialling stage there in about 5 years :)

It will only take 5 years if you wait till your perfect. If you copy me and start trialling before you dog knows weaves or contacts and had only done a broad jump about 7 times you could start in just over 6 months of training :laugh: .

Guest RosieFT

RS- ok I am in. Can you, Amy or anyone else point me in the right direction with regards to sizing, parts etc??? I think you guys use 25mm pvc??? what are the cups made from? lengths?? :-)

thanks in advance :-)

RS- ok I am in. Can you, Amy or anyone else point me in the right direction with regards to sizing, parts etc??? I think you guys use 25mm pvc??? what are the cups made from? lengths?? :-)

thanks in advance :-)

I'll bring one of mine down next week so you can take a look and I'll let you know what you need to buy :laugh: