Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Hi, First off, I was thinking of a competition on Mirawee's property. Of course, it would need us to meet up, and see if the property would suit to hold one there if Mirawee and her parents approve. No problems with horses with the dogs Mirawee, especially with the All Age dogs; they are focused on the retrieves and usually ignore livestock completely. The guns used fire primers, so they aren't too loud, either. The questions about using natural terrain is correct, but, we have been so short on sites over the past few years, that several properties with man made dams/lakes etc have been used. As it is necessary for the dogs to retrieve in or through water, a good body of water is preferable.

For those having problems with their dogs holding the dummy, keep the retrieve very short (a few feet), and reinforce the hold command verbally. Having a longish lead on at the time and encouraging the dog to return quickly with the dummy, can help. Do the short retrieves on land, and at the edge of water, again, verbally encourage the hold. Do not be in a hurry to grab the dummy; even stroke the dog on the head whilst he is holding; praise, say give, then reward.

I have beautiful Goldens and a couple of spirited Labradors. Used to own Rottweillers, and a long time ago a Dalmation, G. Shepherd, and decades ago, an Afghan Hound. Now, I'm totally a Gundog fanatic.

Hope all of you who are interested in retrieving give it a go. There's no bitching or backstabbing in our sport which is very refreshing; Most trialers are very willing to help newbies get started too.

First and foremost, get rid of the squeaky toy !!! Do not let your gundog have any toy that it can squeeze in its mouth. You will only be teaching your dog to be hard mouthed.

Make yourself a dummy/bumper that is lightweight and easy for you and your pup to handle. A paint roller would be ideal (not a fluffy one). You can cover this with an old sock and knot the end so you have a handle.

The thing is to make fetching the dummy the most exciting thing your pup has ever done. Lots of little throws without any formal setting up (these are called play throws or happy throws). Heaps of high pitched exciting sounds from you, and even run away from your pup when he is coming back, to encourage his return to you. Don't do a present yet, just encourage your pup, and make the whole thing a game. If you still have a problem with him coming back after the fetch, put on a soft rope, just so he doesn't run away, and so you have some control over the whole exercise, (without him knowing that you do). Be very careful with toys that your pup plays with, or has access to from your other dogs. No squeezy, or squeaky toys I'm afraid. No tugging (as in agility). Your dogs mouth is the most important part of him at this crucial time, and you need to encourage good habits with his handling of retrieving, regardless of what you want to retrieve.

I practiced fetching anything with my pup, be it a window squeegie (sp), a spanner, a flower pot, a leather glove. Anything I asked him to fetch out of my hand, and carry, was necessary. Try it, without putting pressure on your boy, just ask gently, then lead him a few steps forward and back with the object in his mouth, praising him the whole time, then have his sit, and give the article back to you. You can do a couple of fetch and gives just at a sit beforehand, then progress to the fetch at heel, then, once that is established, try a walking fetch, where your dog is at heel and approaching the object (this could be your dummy), and you instruct him to fetch, then keep walking with it in his mouth.

See how you go over a few days, and let me know your progress.

Fetchindawgs-

When Lincoln has ocassionaly gotten the squeaky toy off my older boy he won't squeak it, just run around holding it, I thought it's cause his jaw was to weak but after seeing my senior squeaking, I think it its because he is being too gentle. Will give your methods a go and let you know how we get on.

Fetchindawgs-

When Lincoln has ocassionaly gotten the squeaky toy off my older boy he won't squeak it, just run around holding it, I thought it's cause his jaw was to weak but after seeing my senior squeaking, I think it its because he is being too gentle. Will give your methods a go and let you know how we get on.

Think I ruined my lab, he has always had squeak toys and loves to squeak them.....oh well too late now.

Thanks for all the advice fetchindawgs, we have a 13 mo GSP who we have been trying to get to give things to us rather than just drop them when we tell her to 'give' but we have been finding she just loves to throw them at us rather than gently put it in our hand!

I think Leila might be wrecked too - she loves nothing more than running around squeaking her squeaking ball annoying us (and probably the neighbours more!). She is also still putting everything in her mouth ... just to see how it feels

I happily am one who didn't do the squeaky toy thing... i also did a lot of short retreive sessions when she was a baby and she has always loved it... except when she is in public with a bunch of other things going on she kind of forgets her head... The one thing i never focussed on is her not dropping it!! ARGH!

fetchindawgs... is it true that when training for comps etc it is best to have a group of people to train with? Valley and I have discussed this and it is one of the main reasons why we haven't gone ahead.

Also, were you at the GDC last gundog trial of the year in 2010? if so, I was there taking photos for the GDC! i had a weim with me... i think most people thoought i was a bit nuts :laugh:

If an ad for an agility trial in the Canine News doesn't specify who to make the cheque payable to, do you just make it out to the club? :laugh:

This is for the SRAODC double header and also the GSDA trial.

Regards,

Trial noob ;)

;) amypie I had a bit of a dilemma this week. I had 3 cheques left in my current cheque book and 4 to write :eek::champagne::thumbsup::thumbsup::banghead: . Talk about bad timing. Ah well have sorted it all out and back to being officially broke :laugh: .

Not weird - I rang them because they automatically send one out with 10 to go but usually I get to slightly less than 10 just before christmas and since I only use mine for trial entries there is no real need to order another one at the end of the trialling season. Just miscalculated the number of trials that seemed to all close Friday this week :laugh: .

Thanks for all the advice fetchindawgs, we have a 13 mo GSP who we have been trying to get to give things to us rather than just drop them when we tell her to 'give' but we have been finding she just loves to throw them at us rather than gently put it in our hand!

I think Leila might be wrecked too - she loves nothing more than running around squeaking her squeaking ball annoying us (and probably the neighbours more!). She is also still putting everything in her mouth ... just to see how it feels

You just need to reinforce the hold command, rather than the give. She obviously understands the game, but seems to me to be demanding that you throw for her, rather than hold it until instructed to release. Put her back on a lead and hold out your dummy in front of her mouth and ask her to fetch. She should take it straight away. Now, say "hold", good girl. You can place your hand just under her jaw to encourage the hold, and stroke her head with your other hand, repeatedly saying "hold" and praising her. Then, put your hand on the dummy end, and ask her to give. Do not pull away on the dummy at this time; you are asking her to release her hold, not for you to tug it out of her mouth. You may have to do this a couple of times a day, (about 3 -4 times each of hold and release). Do it every day for a week, up close and in her face to start off, then as she gets better at her hold, extend to the end of the lead, then, have her hold and come to you, present and give. See how you go, but don't rush it, and make sure she is established with the simple hold first before progressing.

I happily am one who didn't do the squeaky toy thing... i also did a lot of short retreive sessions when she was a baby and she has always loved it... except when she is in public with a bunch of other things going on she kind of forgets her head... The one thing i never focussed on is her not dropping it!! ARGH!

fetchindawgs... is it true that when training for comps etc it is best to have a group of people to train with? Valley and I have discussed this and it is one of the main reasons why we haven't gone ahead.

Also, were you at the GDC last gundog trial of the year in 2010? if so, I was there taking photos for the GDC! i had a weim with me... i think most people thoought i was a bit nuts :rainbowbridge:

SparkyTansy, You can try the advice I have given above with your girl too, and see how you go. Regarding training, it is always better to train with someone of course, but many people train alone. You can achieve a lot even by yourself,and there are drills that can only be done by yourself with your dog.

Re the GDC trial in 2009, yes I was there and I remember you.

Guest RosieFT

Rubystar - i have for the first time in my life, pulled my glutious maximus from carrying that damn tunnel! ROFL heee hee.. i am sooo tender and sitting down and getting up is fun! I KNEW the damn thing was too heavy for me! ahh well at least it isn't my back.. just my butt!! ;-)

Don't get me started on too much computer RubyStar - the physio has said I am really suppose to have no computer for 3 days but we know very well I can't manage that so its just limited computer and NO thesis writing :laugh: .