Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Also membership fees if you want to join are:

$25 for single, $35 for family.

Membership year starts september to september.

Tracking season is April to September.

They have all equipment on display and you can purchase it through trackwest.

We just put out the word to a bunch of weimaraner people so we hope at least a few rock up to try it out.

I am keen to give it a go, will just have to see is my boy can concentrate on the day lol.

valley perhaps you can bring him anyway? I remember my intitial enquiries and they said that even the groundwork allows them to remember when you go back to it later on... perhaps a different collar will prevent you worries of his nose being on the ground? i am sure eventually, a harness is an indication of tracking just like a showlead can be an indication of the showring...

Sounds good ST I was planning on buying him a harness anyway. I think IF he is too young that dosen't mean I can't learn by watching. :cry: Plus Chessies are supposed to be really good trackers and I don't know if I will have the time/money to get into retrieveing as much as I would like.

Oh really, I emailed someone today and they have given me the name of someone getting measured at a Teams Event on Sunday, but I can't find anywhere that says there is actually anything on this weekend! Could you let me know if yours are getting measured on Friday and I can go there.

Do it Valley! I'll be in Novice Jumping at the Nationals too :thumbsup:

Will have to find my mobile phone (I am always losing the damn thing) and give my instructor a call, if its not this Friday it will be the next one at agility training at Ashfield reserve in Bassendean. Will confirm time and which week as soon as I find phone.
Will have to find my mobile phone (I am always losing the damn thing) and give my instructor a call, if its not this Friday it will be the next one at agility training at Ashfield reserve in Bassendean. Will confirm time and which week as soon as I find phone.

Can anybody come down and get measured or do you have to be part of that club? Is this an official measurement by judges? I'm so confused with the measuring - I basically want Ruby measured soon in preparation for Open obedience (if we ever get there :cry:), but it wouldn't hurt to get Millie measured at the same time.

Oh and thanks! :thumbsup:

Thanks Valley. Hopefully it's this Friday as the entries for the jumping trial I want to enter close on Monday :)

Moving this discussion to the WA thread. :o

Hey everyone.

I have actually just been doing some googling on the whole tracking thing and what should pop up - here! Whhhyyyy didn't I look here sooner!? :cry:

Anyways, my friend and I are interested in joining our girls up. Would 6 months be to early to start her??

We are also going to head to the training day intro on the 27th March to check it out :)

Hey everyone.

I have actually just been doing some googling on the whole tracking thing and what should pop up - here! Whhhyyyy didn't I look here sooner!? :(

Anyways, my friend and I are interested in joining our girls up. Would 6 months be to early to start her??

We are also going to head to the training day intro on the 27th March to check it out :laugh:

I am taking my pup who will be 4 and a half months at the time. :o

Woohoo, good to see so many other potential newbies who are interested, we can all be tracklayers for each other :( I might have to juggle abit as I got my Canine news in the mail today and alot of Agility trials seem to fall on a Saturday but hopefully we can combine the two activities.

I remember reading somewhere that the great thing about tracking is that dogs both young and old (as in slowing down old) can do it as it is not overly stressful on them. Mind you I have also read that scent work is a good way to tire your dog out if the weather is not good for walking. Hehe, we might all be able to go back to bed after training and not walk the dog. Perhaps if quiet a few live a fair distance from the pineforrest you could team up with someone else in your area and share transport costs.

If anyone is not sure they have a breed suitable for tracking don't be put off, tracking is suitable for ALL breeds including toy breeds.

If anyone is not sure they have a breed suitable for tracking don't be put off, tracking is suitable for ALL breeds including toy breeds.

Will Giz be there then? :(

Amypie and Rubystar- Just got off the phone to instructor, will most likely be next Friday for measurments. Also Amypie I think you should still enter, put Kyzers approx height and a note that he is being measured ASAP. Dogs can jump up a class but not down one so if he is borderline I would overestimate. I think you will find they don't mind esp if he is entered as NFC.

Woohoo, good to see so many other potential newbies who are interested, we can all be tracklayers for each other :laugh: I might have to juggle abit as I got my Canine news in the mail today and alot of Agility trials seem to fall on a Saturday but hopefully we can combine the two activities.

I remember reading somewhere that the great thing about tracking is that dogs both young and old (as in slowing down old) can do it as it is not overly stressful on them. Mind you I have also read that scent work is a good way to tire your dog out if the weather is not good for walking. Hehe, we might all be able to go back to bed after training and not walk the dog. Perhaps if quiet a few live a fair distance from the pineforrest you could team up with someone else in your area and share transport costs.

OK, the highlighted bit now has ME interested!!! :(

When and where is it again?

Amypie and Rubystar- Just got off the phone to instructor, will most likely be next Friday for measurments. Also Amypie I think you should still enter, put Kyzers approx height and a note that he is being measured ASAP. Dogs can jump up a class but not down one so if he is borderline I would overestimate. I think you will find they don't mind esp if he is entered as NFC.

He's 34cm when I've measured him at home, maybe I'll ask if they will allow that until I can get him measured. wasn't going to enter NFC though.

Hopefully I'll hear back tonight from the other person who was apparently getting her dogs measured on Sunday! Stupid Western Classic making it so that there are no trials this weekend! :(

I was reading something about a Papillon which did tracking the other day... I'll admit I did have a giggle at how cute and little the tracking harness would've been :laugh:

Will Giz be there then? :laugh:

I did think about it after reading about the Paps with tracking titles in the eastern states, but given that he is comming up 14 and has a bad heart (although you wouldn't think so as it doesn't slow him down these days) I might be better sticking to Jenna. Besides some dogs might think he's a bunny and eat him. :(

With regard to measurments on entries for the Nationals contact Di Rose (will be listed in the Canine News) for advise, she is the one recieving the entries and will be able to let you know.

Guest belgian.blue
www.trackwest.com.au

Pre-season Tracking Workshop

Date: Saturday, 27th March 2010

Time: 0800am to 12noon

Venue: Lumen Christi College, Mills Road, West Martin

This workshop for beginners is held prior to commencement of

tracking season (commencing Saturday, 10th April 2010).

Handlers will be instructed on how to train their dogs in this

fascinating and rewarding sport which utilizes the dog's natural ability.

Is there any cost for this first beginners day? Or do you come check it out and see if it is your thing? I'm thinking Ivy and I will come along. I'd think she'd love it!!!

Where is West Martin?

Woohoo, good to see so many other potential newbies who are interested, we can all be tracklayers for each other :laugh: I might have to juggle abit as I got my Canine news in the mail today and alot of Agility trials seem to fall on a Saturday but hopefully we can combine the two activities.

OK, the highlighted bit now has ME interested!!! :laugh:

You should come to the open day, Dougal can smell food 5Km;s from us up the beach so i am sure he will be good at tracking lol!!

Woohoo, good to see so many other potential newbies who are interested, we can all be tracklayers for each other :( I might have to juggle abit as I got my Canine news in the mail today and alot of Agility trials seem to fall on a Saturday but hopefully we can combine the two activities.

OK, the highlighted bit now has ME interested!!! :laugh:

You should come to the open day, Dougal can smell food 5Km;s from us up the beach so i am sure he will be good at tracking lol!!

I know! :laugh: That's what I was thinking - something he'd enjoy, be good at, and not physically overexerting!