Photo Help?

brigie bear

Hey All!

I just got my first ever DSLR camera (Canon 1000d) and am just learning it all now... I am super keen to take studio photos of my dogs but wouldnt know where to start! I would love to to it relitively cheaply and at home using things I'm like;y to have laying around i.e. white sheet & lights I can direct at the "set".

Does anyone have any tips, instructions, photos to share of your own pics from your home studio etc?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

JS's tips are fantastic!

The best thing to do though is to just try and see what works. I find I like my photos of Zero better when he's doing something he likes or when we're having fun. Posing him in photos very rarely works and he tends to dig at any drop sheets I put down so i can get a "studio" shot.

This is probably my favourite photo of Zero - it was taken when i woke him up when he was sleeping in the garden:

3440520629_28e72fd517.jpg

It's not professional or anything but it's very Zero. Here's a posed shot for comparison. I think the colouring is pretty and Zero has a cute expression on his face but i didn't have fun taking this photo because i was sore (a couple of days off crutches) and Zero was uncooperative:

3817754096_580ab14b4f.jpg

ETA: I should add that I don't think Zero had much fun when we took the second photo either. I was slow on my feet and wouldn't let him have any fun.

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Go and head in to the November challenge... somewhere in there I've shown set ups you can do at home using natural light (it will work for the dogs also).

The November challenge is "back to basics" and portraiture is a part of it. It might help. :thumbsup:

JS's tips are fantastic!

The best thing to do though is to just try and see what works. I find I like my photos of Zero better when he's doing something he likes or when we're having fun. Posing him in photos very rarely works and he tends to dig at any drop sheets I put down so i can get a "studio" shot.

This is probably my favourite photo of Zero - it was taken when i woke him up when he was sleeping in the garden:

3440520629_28e72fd517.jpg

It's not professional or anything but it's very Zero. Here's a posed shot for comparison. I think the colouring is pretty and Zero has a cute expression on his face but i didn't have fun taking this photo because i was sore (a couple of days off crutches) and Zero was uncooperative:

3817754096_580ab14b4f.jpg

ETA: I should add that I don't think Zero had much fun when we took the second photo either. I was slow on my feet and wouldn't let him have any fun.

Gosh I love Zero... Does he even take a bad photo? He's unreal!!!

Go and head in to the November challenge... somewhere in there I've shown set ups you can do at home using natural light (it will work for the dogs also).

The November challenge is "back to basics" and portraiture is a part of it. It might help. :thumbsup:

Will head there now to have a squizzzzz...

He's mid-yawn - his eyes get the bug eyed look and i just happened to capture it.

See what I mean about the posed portraits? His unposed ones are more like his personality than anything i can capture posed so I tend to like them better. I think it takes a very very good photographer (have a look at Ashanali's and Ruthless's stuff - though there are an insane amount of good photographers on this site!) to capture a good portrait when it's posed.

I've only had my slr (i have a 450d) for about 18 months - my only advice is to learn what iso, shutter speed and aperture are. They're confusing but once you know what they are, putting your camera on manual is a lot less daunting!! After that, i think it's all practice. Your portraits in the november challenge are great. I'm sure you'll be able to capture stunning photos of your dogs without a problem!

Edited by ~*Shell*~

He's mid-yawn - his eyes get the bug eyed look and i just happened to capture it.

See what I mean about the posed portraits? His unposed ones are more like his personality than anything i can capture posed so I tend to like them better. I think it takes a very very good photographer (have a look at Ashanali's and Ruthless's stuff - though there are an insane amount of good photographers on this site!) to capture a good portrait when it's posed.

I've only had my slr (i have a 450d) for about 18 months - my only advice is to learn what iso, shutter speed and aperture are. They're confusing but once you know what they are, putting your camera on manual is a lot less daunting!! After that, i think it's all practice. Your portraits in the november challenge are great. I'm sure you'll be able to capture stunning photos of your dogs without a problem!

Totally - SO much personality in the candids!

I was going to get a 450d but for $500 less I found the 1000d in a twin lens kit... suited me fine cos I'm so new at it lol!

I have been trying to learn those things - just so confusing haha! I still have to figure it out SO much better! My shots are all on manual but are just chance lol... I have NO idea what I'm doing but I figure if I have it on auto i'll never get it.

The 1000D is a great camera to learn on - it wasn't out when i got my 450d. I would love to see how it performs with some fantastic lenses on it!

Yeah, I'm loving it so far! But then again, I dont know the difference hahaha! I am SO keen to get some lenses... A macro lens is my dreaaaam at the moment but I may just buy a $30 filter or extension tube for now lol.

Congrats on the new Camera!! :laugh:

I love using natural light for my doggy portraits.

Here are a couple of my favourites:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/carlz142/a...-3-day-dreaming

http://www.redbubble.com/people/carlz142/a...19-4-comfy-cavy

Both of these taken with a 50mm 1.8 :rofl:

ETA

Your photography is just gorgeous! I just cant seem to get there yet... I dont "speak camera" yet lol and am still learning what everything means but am SOOO keen to get some good shots of the dogs... Any tips on how you get such beautiful photos of yours?

I am still learning myself. I have had my camera (450D) for about 6 months now.

As for getting the photos I did, some involved treats... and the others just involved waiting for a photo-worthy moment, no tricks involved. I just positioned myself so that I wouldnt distract the dogs too much. It does take some patience as not every photo is going to work out. Most of my photos are taken when the girls are still and not moving around. I also get myself in different positions (eg. on the floor, angled etc) so that the it gives the photo more effect.

My first photos were taken with the zoom lens, so I could be a few metres away and not distract the dogs. The best way to lean, is to practice and that is something im still doing.

Also, I found all the technical terms really hard to understand at first. I dont learn by reading.. Im a visual learner. So I found these tutorials REALLY helpful!

http://www1.canon.com.au/worldofeos/learn/getting-started/

Make sure you post some pics up when you take them!!

JS posted some really good tips. And Shell, your photos of Zero are gorgeous!!

I am still learning myself. I have had my camera (450D) for about 6 months now.

As for getting the photos I did, some involved treats... and the others just involved waiting for a photo-worthy moment, no tricks involved. I just positioned myself so that I wouldnt distract the dogs too much. It does take some patience as not every photo is going to work out. Most of my photos are taken when the girls are still and not moving around. I also get myself in different positions (eg. on the floor, angled etc) so that the it gives the photo more effect.

My first photos were taken with the zoom lens, so I could be a few metres away and not distract the dogs. The best way to lean, is to practice and that is something im still doing.

Also, I found all the technical terms really hard to understand at first. I dont learn by reading.. Im a visual learner. So I found these tutorials REALLY helpful!

http://www1.canon.com.au/worldofeos/learn/getting-started/

Make sure you post some pics up when you take them!!

JS posted some really good tips. And Shell, your photos of Zero are gorgeous!!

Brilliant! am off to learn now then go crazy snap-happy at the dogs.. I can just feel them rolling their eyes now hahaha! Will post pics once I'm done.