Heartworm Temperatures

Leema

I've heard frequently sprouted that for heartworm microfilae to develop there needs to be so many days above a certain temperature, day and night. It's all around the place.

Is there an academic source for this? A research paper?

I asked my vet about this, and she was under the impression that temperature didn't mater (besides that the hotter the weather, the more mozzies around). So I'm trying to find where this bit of information originated from.

Thanks in advance. :hug:

I think the temperature must be 17 celsius while the larvae are developing from the L1 to the L3 stage inside the mosquito, if the temperature drops below 17 development stalls and if it drops below 13 development is aborted. The larvae must reach the L3 stage before they can infect a dog and a mosquito only lives for about 35 days so if there are a number of cold days the larvae simply don't have time to reach the L3 stage.

Interesting...when I worked for AQIS many years ago, we learned that the particular mosquito responsible for heartworm survives in humid conditions only. And yes that the heat/humidity factor had to be constant for some days (cannot remember the number). This is why we rarely see heartworm in places like Victoria and Tasmania.

And...if I remember correctly...it was the female mosquito. :laugh:

I don't have any references for this info, sorry, just what I remember during the induction course.

I think the temperature must be 17 celsius while the larvae are developing from the L1 to the L3 stage inside the mosquito, if the temperature drops below 17 development stalls and if it drops below 13 development is aborted. The larvae must reach the L3 stage before they can infect a dog and a mosquito only lives for about 35 days so if there are a number of cold days the larvae simply don't have time to reach the L3 stage.

Yes, this is what I've heard. I hope it is true! But I want to know who discovered this in the first place! I can't find any academic sources regarding this, only 'general', 'pet' websites.

Interesting...when I worked for AQIS many years ago, we learned that the particular mosquito responsible for heartworm survives in humid conditions only. And yes that the heat/humidity factor had to be constant for some days (cannot remember the number). This is why we rarely see heartworm in places like Victoria and Tasmania.

And...if I remember correctly...it was the female mosquito. :thumbsup:

I don't have any references for this info, sorry, just what I remember during the induction course.

A little bit off topic, but heart worm is more common in the northern states than the southern? I know of a rescue dog that was in Canberra it came up to Sydney a couple of years back with heart worm,... I thought Canberra wasn't humid. :rofl:

This, from Wikipedia :

Dirofilaria Immitis - Wikipedia

Heartworms go through several life stages before they become adults infecting the heart of the host animal. The worms require the mosquito as an intermediate stage in order to complete their life cycle. Development in the mosquito is temperature dependent, requiring approximately two weeks of temperature at or above 27 °C (80 °F). Below a threshold temperature of 14 °C (57 °F), development cannot occur, and the cycle will be halted.[8] As a result, transmission is limited to warm months, and duration of the transmission season varies geographically.