Exercise Before Obedience Class This Morning?

Do you think I stand a chance of getting a refund if I call them up? When I rang their call centre to book in I spoke to two different people and they both assured me that they would help with a dog that pulls on the lead. The headcollar brand that they were using was the gentle leader...like any other headcollar, surely you aren't meant to yank on them or drag along a resistant dog. That is correct isn't it?!

Yes, definitely correct. I'd explain to them that the class made you uncomfortable and that you don't think their methods are the right ones for your dog.

I agree, but it would probably be best to put it in writing to the club. Good luck, I'd be running a mile too :(

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a similar thing happen at a club I train at, now I do not attend Sunday Morning classes because people think they know your dog better than you do.... I go to Wednesday night classes only and my boy loves it.

Before the class starts I either let him off for a run or walk to every dog around so he can sniff bums, if I don't let him and just start the class, he pulls to sniff the dogs bum in front.

I think there is a clicker class or two up in the Northern Beaches. If it were me, I'd give these folks a ring: http://www.dogsanonymous.com.au/Site_1/About_Us.html

I know nothing very much about them, but anyone who knows anything about clicker training and is interested in the ways wild animals are trained is where I would start. But that's just me.

Yucky.

There are a lot of ways to teach loose leash walking. Pick one that you like and stick to it like you would stick to a plan to quit smoking cold turkey.

I never let a tight leash get the dog anywhere, and I keep the clicker ticking over like a ratchet in the early stages. It gets faded surprisingly quickly once you start raising the criteria (taking more steps between reinforcements).

Would love to see a bit of you tube footage of that Aidan. :love:

I'll see what I can do, I have two classes that have just started (dogs with problems). I have a DOLer in one of those classes, I'll seek permission before saying anything but she has been awesome, had a real problem on week one and on week two came back with a completely changed dog. I love it when they apply what they have learned outside of class and are consistent with what they do. That consistency pays dividends, the method used is secondary to that.

That consistency pays dividends, the method used is secondary to that.

Ain't that the truth.

Sometimes I think about having the word "Consistency" tattooed on my forehead.

That would be inconsistent with the mental image I have of you :love:

Edited by Aidan

That consistency pays dividends, the method used is secondary to that.

Ain't that the truth.

Sometimes I think about having the word "Consistency" tattooed on my forehead.

That would be inconsistent with the mental image I have of you :laugh:

And that would be? (:D Dare I ask? :laugh:)

Or do you mean you just don't picture me with tatts? Hhhhmmm?

Edited by Erny

Or do you mean you just don't picture me with tatts? Hhhhmmm?

Let's just say there would be a certain irony in seeing a smartly dressed, woman of European descent with the word "consistency" tattooed across her forehead :laugh:

I like high drive dogs.

I tried the exercise (3 mile fast run) before training and competing with one particular crazy to retrieve labrador..........worked a treat for a while.........until he made him EXTRA fit!!

I saw that with a working border that did 3 sheep trials. He was young and fast so the owner decided she needed to wear him out, every day they went for a 30 min run with her on a quad bike and him running with her. All that happened is he got faster and took longer before he tired. So instead of taking 5 mins in the paddock before he calmed down and worked steadily it took 10.

... I explained that Tilly gets very sooky wearing her halter and he said she would probably get used to it after a few weeks of coming here and getting treats and positive reinforcement, etc.

He calls dragging a dog around on a halter combined with some token treats, positive reinforcement? :D

I wouldn't let this guy demo on my dog either!

Yucky.

There are a lot of ways to teach loose leash walking. Pick one that you like and stick to it like you would stick to a plan to quit smoking cold turkey.

I never let a tight leash get the dog anywhere, and I keep the clicker ticking over like a ratchet in the early stages. It gets faded surprisingly quickly once you start raising the criteria (taking more steps between reinforcements).

Would love to see a bit of you tube footage of that Aidan. :laugh:

Hi Staff'n'Toller, your wish is my command: http://positivepetzine.com/loose_leash_youtube