Can 12 Weeks Old Lab Puppy Get Along With A 6 Years Old Cattle Dog?

cathy6510

HI all,

My Charlie - male lab puppy is 11 weeks by the end of this week and we will take him to see vet this saturday for the first vassination. My colleage will be on holiday from next saturday and asked whether I can look after his 6 years old male Cattle dog. I did once for a weekend half year before Charlie's coming, the cattle dog was very friendly and healthy.

Now I only worry about Charlie's health (too young and not fully vassinated yet) before promising my colleage. Can you pls give me some advice? Many thanks.

Cathy :thumbsup:

if the cattle dog is vaccinated properly, does not have too much random encounters at dog parks, random dogs etc then I wouldnt see why not. Make sure he is friendly and I would not be leaving them alone together! A week after his vaccination should be fine :thumbsup:

Deed not breed.

Lab pups . . . and pups of most breeds . . . tend to be submissive and generally get along with older dogs. . . but there are exceptions.

Cattle dogs vary greatly in how they get along with puppies and other dogs.

If the vaccinations are ok, I'd say it comes down to knowing the individual behaviour of both dogs . . . and having time to supervise during the first few days (and ability to separate the dogs if problems show up).