Help, My Amstaff Is Obsessed With Swimming!

smellybear

My 9 Month Old female Amstaff is posessed :) Everytime we take our dogs to the river she will not come out of the water.

She swims up and down up and down. I have tried enciting her to come out with treats but that dosn't work. I end up having to get in the water myself and grabbing her collar if i don't she ends up cramping up and near drowning herself.

If i put the lead on her and not let her swim she makes this horrible (not to mention very embarrassing) high pitched squeel!!

Please Help :o

I've had this problem in the past. You need to teach a recall in water as well as on dry land. The long line will help, do lots of short recalls at the water's edge and extend his range from there as he has proven to be reliable. Don't let him get to the point where he squeals, limit his freedom and work into it.

Any ideas on the high pitched squeel?

Work his obedience and use the "swim" as a reward for command compliance. Also use the "swim" as a reward for NOT squeeling.

If your dog likes to chase balls/tug, then you might be able to use this as her reward for coming out of the water. Be careful about not using it as another bribe though as bribes have a habit of losing their appeal and you only end up going back to begging your dog to listen to you.

When she complies and comes out of the water, reward her by releasing her to go back in, if this is suitable.

Edited by Erny