Pros And Cons To Desexing Alaskan Malamute

K1TT3N

if you're not going to breed then desex him. I would leave him longer, at least 12-18 months old before you do it so he grows out and matures then it has little baring on his growth pattern. I would never desex another large/giant breed young again.

If he's not showing hormonal driven bad behaviors and is handelable at 18 months then it's up to you, at least get him a vascectomy so no accidents happen. If he's irritable, dominant, a pushy dog then whip em out sooner then later.

hi kat, were getting bourbon desexed too in a couple of weeks..

he's behaving like a ratbag at the moment, trying to dominate bigger mals/huskies at the park n showing dominace towards Twilight. Were hoping he would mellow down after being desexed. :p

tivins it's still up to you to lay down the law and stop his behavior. Desexing doesnt stop it, it can simply lessen the desire and drive to do that. If you still let him though he will continue and try especially if he is of a dominant personality anyway

Nekh, ive observed him play lately, and always stopped him when he tried.. Same when hes at the dog park.

OH suggested that he get desexed after 6months, when he fills out a bit...Hmmm..now im not sure.

No plans on breeding whatsoever as twilight has been desexed at the breeders at 8wks..

Edited by tivins

Have you had Twilight Desexed? If so how did you find the change in behaviour?

Thanks for the replies, it is a tough choice to make, he's not showing any signs of dominance or unruly behaviour because of it, but at the same time I thought it might calm him down a little still, less to worry about as far as getting another dog pregnant and also registration is obviously cheaper too.

When I rang the vet they told me the price for a dog under 12 months, does it go up or down in price after they're older than a year?

Twilight's sooo much mellower & calm than him...

She's not as boisterous n loud n talkative but in saying that, Twilight is from a reg breeder n bourbon is not...

Difference due to different upbringing at breeder? Maybe..

My vet desexing fees depends on the weight of the dog...still looking out for other best-priced vets though.. hee hee

Edited by tivins

but at the same time I thought it might calm him down a little still

how calm do you want? You have a working breed and still young so he will want to be active. Desexing will make an impact on hormonal driven behaviors such as exacerbated territoriality/pack drive and mating behaviors. A dog can still be dominant, pushy, active etc even with desexing it's up to you to train your dog to stop these behaviors getting worst. Desexing should never be relied on to solve anything unless it's absolutely too much hormones. Your pup is not pushy at 5 1/2 months its up to you when you want to, but if it were me I would leave till after 12 months.

There should be little difference in price before or after 12 months. There sometimes is due to size difference but apart form that it's a simple operation unlike a spey in a female.

different dogs have different personalities, different lines display different behavioral traits. You can raise two dogs exactly the same way and have two completely different personalities. You need to boot camp him a little and keep him on lead more at dog parks before he starts an argument with another dog. He's simply a growing teenage male dog and he's doing what he thinks is right.

So if he's not showing any behavioural concerns in regards to too much hormones, can it be bad to get them desexed? Can it effect their personality in a bad way if there is nothing wrong with them in the first place? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question lol.

I have a friend in Sydney who has two mals, one was desexed at 16 weeks and the other just after his 1 year birthday. Both males same breeder same lines. The one that was desexed later is not so lanky and has a more lushious coat. Not a huge personality difference, if anything I would say the one that got desexed later is a little calmer.

I think large breeds take a while to fill out, that's why I left my Ridgeback x till just before his first birthday.

it wont affect the personality it will affect their growth and coat. Large breeds are still in puppy growth for a lot longer then smaller breeds. I would not consider a large/giant breed an adult until 2-3 years old depending on the breed.

tivins that can be true. The more dominant, pushy one I tend to desex. Saying that I would not get another male if your dog cannot listen to you and accept your leadership. I'd be working on getting bourbon under good control and getting him out of pushy habits before getting another puppy.

Edited by Nekhbet

Had a talk with OH last nite about desexing bourbon n what Nekh had said about desexing affecting their growth n coat..

We have decided to desex him when he's 12-18months. Let him fill out more. :D (still keeping an eye on his behaviour..)

From what ive observed, hes chest has broaden a bit, head slightly bigger, have a bit more muscle..

Maybe thats why show malamutes looks bigger,broader, boofier & heavier boned compared to those desexed ones?

testosterone causes more 'male' looking structure. That is why in most breeds bitches look finer and dogs broader, more muscly, etc

if his behavior is of concern def keep an eye on it. I would rather you have a healthy, friendly dog then a raging hormonal PITA. It's more a cosmetic thing or in HD dogs they should have their hormones but temperament comes first and foremost

Thank u Nekh for the info..

Am i right to say that bourbon is gonna take over twilight as the 'dominant' one, as obviously hes gonna get bigger than her?

*Kitten! sorry if i hijack your thread!*

Edited by tivins

haha don't appologise, I got the answers I needed and your questions are helping me learn things about them too hehe.

Russell did a Magic Trick last night.... we put him out in the rumpus as we always do, put the board hard up against the door as normal so he can't get out, woke up this morning and he was in the garage and the board was still up in place, he doesn't know how to jump and even if he could he would have axed himself on the board coz it's far too high and thick...noooo idea how he got there!!! lol.

size doesnt always mean the dominant one. My Mal bitch is the smallest by at least 20kg here but she's one the others will not mess with.

it is also up to you to teach your dog manners. If you see him harassing her dont be afraid to 'OI CUT IT OUT'. Just like children - if you want a puppy you have to teach your dog that what you say goes and his opinion means very little in this house. Everything is ultimately yours, you control the resources and if they dont like it they wont get it.

the only way to control a doggy household especially a multi dog one.

Thanks Nekh,

I watched them closely when they are play-fighting/mouthing & will quickly cut it short when both start to growl or play rough. They were separated n given their own toys to play with. It amazes me that, that one toy can end up in a brawl between this 2. They have sooo many toys but always wants the same one!!

But all in all, both have been awesome dogs, most of the time well-behaved n follows instructions. :thumbsup: well, sometimes both can be stubborn as...and bourbon just lovvves to 'talk' back when he got told off...brat!