November Challenge

tlc

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jrm, Im with Bec, your parrot does look like a poser :)

Huga, your little one is adorable, those eyes are just beautiful!!

Lucianne, I agree with Macka, have a play around with some shots, see if you can get some subjects, if your Brothers and sister are willing, get them pulling funny faces and have some fun with it and remember to move your subject and your position to alter the light source. When I first started out I always used to take heaps of photos and then id look back on them and realize I didnt even move from my position once. If you are working with smaller subjects get down to thier level, or put them up to your level. If you camera has any modes on it you could try these for something different, most point and shoots have a portrait mode. Have fun and look forward to seeing some of your pics soon.

Just plain old photobucket for me. I don't edit much.

Leeshy another question. I find with the flash that I'm losing the glass eyed look and the reflection. Any tips on that one ?

Don't use the flash? :)

Yep, Huga is right. Don't use flash... OR you need to bounce your flash (which is only possible if you have one of the flashes that detaches from the camera that has a swivel head so you can point it at a wall or the ceiling.)

Pandii... just going to go back through the photos now.

Pandii - the black and white photo of your daughter is great. You've captured character and you have even lighting. It's just a little soft which means you need to speed it up. Working in Av mode, you may need to go up again in your iso to 1000 (this will start to make your images look a bit grainy with the camera you're on, but they will give you a faster shutter speed). Ideally, you want your shutter speed to be 1/125th of a second or faster.

You're still a teeny bit too close to your subjects also. Take another step backwards. :)

Here is one from me taken yesterday. Just a snap shot of Ewan hamming it up for the camera.

4074992362_994bb2397c.jpg

Pandii - the black and white photo of your daughter is great. You've captured character and you have even lighting. It's just a little soft which means you need to speed it up. Working in Av mode, you may need to go up again in your iso to 1000 (this will start to make your images look a bit grainy with the camera you're on, but they will give you a faster shutter speed). Ideally, you want your shutter speed to be 1/125th of a second or faster.

You're still a teeny bit too close to your subjects also. Take another step backwards. :)

Here is one from me taken yesterday. Just a snap shot of Ewan hamming it up for the camera.

4074992362_994bb2397c.jpg

Another cutie, with amazing eyes!!

So does that mean candid portraits (as in the manner of street photography) are ruled out for this month?

Just bumping this question for Ash...

It's a fine line between candid/environmental portrait during street photography and photojournalism. I don't think anyone will mind if you choose to post the photos. These challenges are mostly about encouraging people to pick up their camera, understand what they can do and challenge themselves. :)

Sounds like a good way to learn more about my SLR which has been stuck in auto mode since I got it :) By the end of November I shall have a pic up! I might have to read a camera book first!

I have a nice camera so I can take decent pictures, but it would nice to know what I'm doing!

These are some pics I took at the show on the weekend for a friend:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=39104

All down to having a decent camera... not user skill!

Edited by valleywa

Thanks Ash, now to remeber what I did, I do know she was say

" I do believe in faires, I do. I DDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo"

We're always teasing Spence and calling him "short ass" so I had this idea to capture that in a photo.

Peek.jpg

:) Thats great!!

I think I asked in another thread but haven't gone back to see if you answered, what camera do you have your pics are always so clear and sharp!!

Thanks guys!

TLC I have a Nikon D60 (I did answer in the other thread :)). I'm glad you think my photos are clear and sharp...you have no idea how many shots I have to take before I get a good one though! I could just cry sometimes when I try to get a sharp photo, check it on the LCD display and think it's ok and then look at it on the computer and it's crap lol.