Different Words

Tiggy

I'm reading Sheila Booth's book 'Purely Positive Training' and she says to have two sets of words for formal(competition) and informal training. So how many people use different words and for which commands? For example on our walks I use 'here' to come back closer but not to come to me then I use 'come' to come to me and I've been giving a food reward whenever I use 'come'. On 'come' Banjo will sit in front like a formal recall so I'm wondering do I need another word for his formal recall. It's very confusing.

if you want to teach tight performance then you will need it to a degree. No good rewarding a dog for a half arsed performance then try and get a tight, fast performance later ... one confused dog!

I have one set of commands for every day stuff and another for work/schutzhund. The two put the dogs in completely different frame of mind too, just make sure they dont sound too similar. Saying that sit, drop are the same for all situations

if you want to teach tight performance then you will need it to a degree. No good rewarding a dog for a half arsed performance then try and get a tight, fast performance later ... one confused dog!

I have one set of commands for every day stuff and another for work/schutzhund. The two put the dogs in completely different frame of mind too, just make sure they dont sound too similar. Saying that sit, drop are the same for all situations

Do you use the German commands in Schutzhund training Nek???

Yep I have two sets of commands.

I use english commands for everyday around the house out and about sort of stuff. I expect compliance and promptness but I don't expect high drive, super responsive work.

For comps I used German commands which in Ella's language means that her drive reward (tug) will be presented later on. I expect very keen, alert and quick responses when I ask her to be in drive.

I don't have two sets of commands, but what I do to get him switched on for formal obedience is different. I have a whole process that Jedi and I go through before we get into the ring or before we train, that gets him in the right frame of mind. There is definitely a different level of enthusiasm when responding to cues after we've done our little prep work.

Tiggy - you can use another language so long as the Judge approves it before you start.

Edited by TerraNik

I've never been able to use two sets of commands....too much to remember...and perhaps I'm old fashioned. "Heel" means walk by my leg and be attentive...."come" means come in and sit front. I will use 'close' when I'm training to indicate that the dog must sit better, that can mean closer or more straight or whatever....naturally I can't use that command in obedience but it's the only extra one I've ever allowed myself to use with the exception of one Manchester I had that absolutely REFUSED to come and get in his crate when I said "kennel" and I always had to sternly insist "NOW" and he would happily bounce into it...(little snot!) But again,.....not something needed in obedience! :)

The only real difference for me is I never use the word come, only in training and trialling when I know it will be 100% successful. In the paddock I say here pup pup pup or here or just a whistle up, they always come but I never want to flatten my 'COME' battery. :)

There is one more, If I want the dogs to lay down in the house and have a rest I say lie down, in training when I want a precise drop I just say down. :cheer: Dogs are so smart, they quickly work out the difference if you are consistent.

Forgot to add that I love Sheila Booths book. :champagne:

Edited by PAX

I might save my 'come' just for formal training to and use 'here' for everyday.

I'm the opposite - I use 'here' for drive work (obedience) and everyone else in my family uses 'come' - quite funny as now Daisy won't come properly to 'come' but speeds over as soon as I say 'here' :thumbsup:

close....naturally I can't use that command in obedience

That's funny as that is the word I use and have no problem with. If you read the ANKC rule book it says one word, one syllable in English so that word is perfect.

Edited by PAX

I'm the opposite - I use 'here' for drive work (obedience) and everyone else in my family uses 'come' - quite funny as now Daisy won't come properly to 'come' but speeds over as soon as I say 'here' :thumbsup:

I don't think that's funny, just shows where the value for your 'here' is. If you put the reward value into a word/command and don't flatten it by not rewarding, it is a valuable command, as it should be. :( Dogs don't understand words, only value for particular words after multiple repetitions of the word paired with reward.

I don't think that's funny, just shows where the value for your 'here' is. If you put the reward value into a word/command and don't flatten it by not rewarding, it is a valuable command, as it should be. :( Dogs don't understand words, only value for particular words after multiple repetitions of the word paired with reward.

Yes, absolutely, but I meant funny more from a family perspective - considering that my family have no real clue when it comes to training, they don't "get" why Daisy isn't as enthusiastic when they recall her compared to when I recall her.

It's sort of the same when my sister feeds the dogs in the morning and tells Daisy "go get it" or something to that effect instead of "ok" which is the release command I taught her - and then doesn't understand why Daisy doesn't race over to her food :) there are mornings when I've woken up because my sister has been yelling "go get it!! I said you can have it!" and is perplexed as to why Daisy is maintaining her stay :) :) :(

Edited by huski

Yes, absolutely, but I meant funny more from a family perspective - considering that my family have no real clue when it comes to training, they don't "get" why Daisy isn't as enthusiastic when they recall her compared to when I recall her.

Well good for you for having a different word to help Daisy know the difference, and a word the family can't flatten. :thumbsup:

Well good for you for having a different word to help Daisy know the difference, and a word the family can't flatten. :thumbsup:

That's part of the reason I have a different word in the first place :( So my family can't "taint" it by using it wrongly :):(

I use 'come' for our formal recall and found I was ruining it by using it everyday so save that for obedience and use either a whistle or 'now' for get back to me right now and I don't care how.

I use 'heel' for attentive walking and for an informal I use 'by my side' which doesn't mean she has to look at me but does mean she needs to come a lot closer and walk by me.

As huski touched on, that's the other reason I have two sets of commands so friends and family can't use my competition commands and let her get away with sloppy work. THe only downfall is that my parents are Swiss so German gets spoken at home... poor mum and dad have to remember that they can't use German commands on Ella!!!

I don't use different words for the same exercise, but then again I regard competition exercises as different exercises with different criteria.

"Heel" for us means heel with attention and focus and precision right next to me, doing the turns like we practiced, and you might get a drive reward for it. That's different to just wandering along next to me on the street, which for us is "by me". They have different words, since they're different things, and I want the dog to expect a different type of reward for doing them.

"Front" means race over and get into a nice precise front position until you are released, and you'll get a super reward for it. That's different to "puppy puppy" which just means get your butt over here please.

"Ous" for us means release instantly and you'll get a rebite. My OH and family are forbidden to use it, for the reasons described by Huski! They're only allowed to use "ta". :D