Early Vaccination Of Hand Raised Pup

Cavalier

After examining all the material, I decided to vaccinate my hand raised puppy at 4 weeks of age. He never recieved any colostrum from Mum, so didnt have to worry about maternal antibodies interferring with the vaccine. Being in a very high parvo area I was so paranoid about him contracting parvo.

I gave him...

1. Virbac C3 at 4 weeks

2. Fort Dodge Parvac at 5 weeks

3. Virbac C3 at 6 weeks

The same day as his second C3 I took a blood sample for titre testing.

His titre came back at >1:80 :cry::cheer:

Just thought this would interest others in the same situation. I feel this is a fantastic result!!

with 3 vaccines each a week apart I wouldnt expect anything less then that. The level of maternal antibodies are not that high they soak up 3 vaccines and the problem is pups HAVE an immune system, we overload it at once and then take them into areas where they can pick up the virus. We also don't know the stats on the number of dogs who actually come in contact with the virus and either show no/low symptoms so sometimes I think we panic a little at parvo.

have you talked to the vet about the long term effects of so many vaccines so young the dogs immune system would be in hyperdrive with that much in it.

I know that. I was meaning that even in a puppy that had colostrum the levels of Igs are not high enough to be negating the effects of 3 vaccines. Maybe I should have been a little clearer in what I wrote.

If Cav is the vet then i'm still wondering why this result is so surprising. Pump the dog full of virus and it got an immune response. Again I'd be more worried about the long term effects of such a young dog being over vaccinated then the smaller risk of catching Parvo.

Depends where you live, I guess. There would be no need to vaccinate so young if you could guarantee the pup wouldn't be exposed to parvo, but if Cavalier is in a high parvo risk area and particularly if she is treating parvo dogs herself at her work, then I guess she may be quite right to be concerned the pup would be exposed.

Great result for the pup!

As for over-stressing about parvo, no we don't, most of the time people get too relaxed about it!

As for long term consequences of 3 vaccines in the pup, likely nothing! An orphan gets to live through a high parvo area, a job well done and the other inputters should probably just say well done and move on.

I know that. I was meaning that even in a puppy that had colostrum the levels of Igs are not high enough to be negating the effects of 3 vaccines. Maybe I should have been a little clearer in what I wrote.

If Cav is the vet then i'm still wondering why this result is so surprising. Pump the dog full of virus and it got an immune response. Again I'd be more worried about the long term effects of such a young dog being over vaccinated then the smaller risk of catching Parvo.

The result is surprising because it is assumed that a 4 week old puppy has an immature immune system and is unable to adequately respond to a vaccination.

The risk of Parvo infection where I live is HUGE. I personally treat 10-15 cases a week. This does not include all the ones who are put down because the owner didnt want to treat.

In this town, pups still catch parvo regularly after their second puppy vacc at 12 weeks. I can only assume it is because of the high dose of virus pups are being exposed to.

The pups risk of catching parvo is WAY higher than any negative effects from a vaccine...

The risk of Parvo infection where I live is HUGE. I personally treat 10-15 cases a week. This does not include all the ones who are put down because the owner didnt want to treat.

Good lord. I work in a high parvo area and we would be lucky to have treated perhaps a dozen cases in the past year. How on earth do your nurses manage with that many cases?! Barrier nursing is so time consuming. You must have a pretty big isolation ward too!

Good lord. I work in a high parvo area and we would be lucky to have treated perhaps a dozen cases in the past year. How on earth do your nurses manage with that many cases?! Barrier nursing is so time consuming. You must have a pretty big isolation ward too!

Certainly do!

8 weeks is the figure given, but some pups could have a sufficiently mature immune system earlier.

W Jean Dodds

Vaccination also can overwhelm the immunocompromised or even healthy host that is repeatedly challenged with other environmental stimuli and is genetically predisposed to react adversely upon viral exposure. The recently weaned young puppy or kitten entering a new environment is at greater risk here, as its relatively immature immune system can be temporarily or more permanently harmed. Consequences in later life may be the increased susceptibility to chronic debilitating diseases.

But the present risk is the most important one.