Puppy Change In Behaviour

teekay

Where's my gorgeous doggie gone?

All of a sudden she is a nightmare with other dogs and children. She's not aggressive at all but, while we are on our walks, if any children approach her or if any dog comes near her she goes psycho. She looks like she is over excited, she leaps form side to side and backwards and forwards and is generally uncontrollable. If we just walk straight past a dog she isn't too bad but if we stop to talk she's all over the place. Having said that, once she has got it out of her system she will calm down. This started happening about a week ago.

She is a Golden Retriever x Samoyed and is just over 5 months old, is this an age thing? Has anyone any advice about what steps I can take to stop her doing this? She's not so bad when she is off lead but at the moment have stopped letting her off as she is too unpredictable. This was probably why she didn't come when we were at the beach the other day .

Any other people's dogs go through this stage? Some one has suggested it may be the Samoyed part of her. Is this usual behaviour in a Samoyed pup?

Thanks

Edited by teekay

Could be a fear period? See this thread: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=117592

Are you taking her to obedience classes at all?

I wondered about the fear period as i had read about them but it seemed a funny age to get it. It's hard to know what to do for the best because if it is a fear period I should be protecting her from things which scare her but if it isn't, should I be exposing her to the stimuli more to get her used to it?

She went to puppy school and I have been considering obedience classes but TBH I'm terrified she will be uncontollable there, with all those other dogs. Having said that I certainly want to do something so if obedience school would help I think I might give it a try.

Cheers

Where's my gorgeous doggie gone?

All of a sudden she is a nightmare with other dogs and children. She's not aggressive at all but, while we are on our walks, if any children approach her or if any dog comes near her she goes psycho. She looks like she is over excited, she leaps form side to side and backwards and forwards and is generally uncontrollable. If we just walk straight past a dog she isn't too bad but if we stop to talk she's all over the place. Having said that, once she has got it out of her system she will calm down. This started happening about a week ago.

She is a Golden Retriever x Samoyed and is just over 5 months old, is this an age thing? Has anyone any advice about what steps I can take to stop her doing this? She's not so bad when she is off lead but at the moment have stopped letting her off as she is too unpredictable. This was probably why she didn't come when we were at the beach the other day (other post).

Any other people's dogs go through this stage? Some one has suggested it may be the Samoyed part of her. Is this usual behaviour in a Samoyed pup?

Thanks

I can't see how it would be the Samoyed part of her any more then the Goldie side (and I have owned Goldies and do own sammies) and don't know why anyone would have told you that :thumbsup:

My little girl Sammie is just coming up to this age and isn't like that, neither was my boy at this age. (I say this age because he is an effing tool now when there is a bitch in season near him)

How much training have you been doing with her so far?

Both Goldies and Samoyed are highly intelligent breeds and need heaps of mental stimulation.

Samoyed are very head strong and will not take being told what to do unless you have put in the ground work first. As any typical spitz breed they are more likely to ask you why when you tell them to do something.

Definatly get her into obediance right away, its very important with such a x breed dog IMO

Edited by Wolfsong

Sounds like excitement to me. Your baby puppy is turning into a crazy teenager!

Controlled exposure to any stimulus and reward for calmness would help.

Until the dog sees the stimulus as old hat or sees focus on you as more rewarding, you may continue to see it.

Going to group classes will definitely help. You'll be training in a highly stimulating environment with assistance. No one expects perfect manners from a pup at obedience - that's why you're there! :thumbsup:

Can I just say that she must be adorable! :)

I am currently quite enamoured with really rock solid sits (or downs). That might change at some point of course, but right now, I find it so useful to be able to say "Sit" and get a sit even in exciting situations. Even if it's just for a second or two, I think it helps reign them in a bit so they can start thinking rather than reacting. I usually just wait things out and when the dog calms down enough to do a sit, at least they are now listening to me and I can possibly get them to do something else useful, like a heel.

Erik is required to sit quietly before he gets anything. It's a good start on impulse control and is the mechanism by which I get a good sit.

Also, ditto to what everyone else said.

same, my sweet little Matilda-Rose, golden retreiver, was such an obedient puppy and then hit six months - no way was she going to listen to her mum! But she grew out of it.

training, training, training is the key