Grass Seed Season

kiesha09

Last night I took the dogs to the park for a run and found there was grass seeds everywhere!! :) When I got home I checked both dogs all over and picked out all that I could see. Unfortunately I was too late as CHip already had one in his ear. Off to the vets this morning for him to be sedated and it removed.

The vet mentioned that they had already had 7 dogs in just this week for grass seed removal procedures. Its well and truly grass seed season so don't forget to do the 4 paw, ears and eyes check regularly.

Tell me about it!

I have a cat who looks like she will have to be knocked out next week to get one removed. Vet couldnt find an entry hole, but her foot is infected, so she is on anti bios for a few days, if no better by monday, off to get it opened up.

Grrr

I removed one that was starting to embed out of Kenzie's front paw last week and we haven't even walking at places where I would have thought there were too many grass seeds. Just goes to show you can't be to careful.

I washed and clipped my dogs on Friday (so they had a really good going over)

Saturday Morning, I had Max to the vet to have a grass seed out that had embedded itself in his armpit. There was still a little bit poking out, but I'm not prepared to DIY. It certainly wasn't there on Friday lunchtime. Happens so quick

Had his vaccinations at the same time, but it was $200+ that I hadn't budgeted on this week :)

Okay, might be a stoopid question but can someone please clarify. Is it all types of grass seed or is it only certain type of grass seed that are a problem. It's not something I've ever had a problem with.

Thanks

Actually Kiesha09, this is another reason you need to get your dog's bum scooting under control.

I had a dog with a grass seed that entered just next to her vulva and channelled its evil little way up into her stomach. She opened up a hole the size of a 50 cent piece in the crease next to her vulva with her chewing. It was an awful mess cause simply because she was a low belly "squatter"....a bum scooter would also be fair game for a grass seed in an unmentionable area!

I'm also wondering if it is certain grasse? We have never been pet-less in 16 years, live on unkempt acreage, walk in the bush and at parks and never had a grass seed problem.

Not sure about Oz, but over here it's barley grass that's the prime culprit in grass seed issues. Regular lawn grass or pasture ryegrass is different.

Actually Kiesha09, this is another reason you need to get your dog's bum scooting under control.

I had a dog with a grass seed that entered just next to her vulva and channelled its evil little way up into her stomach. She opened up a hole the size of a 50 cent piece in the crease next to her vulva with her chewing. It was an awful mess cause simply because she was a low belly "squatter"....a bum scooter would also be fair game for a grass seed in an unmentionable area!

:eek::( Yikes that sounds like a horrible place to have a grass seed!!! Wierd thing is she never bum scoots on grass only on the tiles. But agree as you never know where a grass seed could be hiding.

Okay, might be a stoopid question but can someone please clarify. Is it all types of grass seed or is it only certain type of grass seed that are a problem. It's not something I've ever had a problem with.

Thanks

I'd like some information on this as well. Would grass seeds be a problem at ovals or dog parks where the grass is constantly mowed?

• 4 weeks later...

My girl had one in her back paw between her toes that i removed and is looking ok now.. if the grass is kept mowed and doesnt get to go to seed then there will be no seeds.. unfortunately before i got my girl the lawn went to seed here and the guy who mows our lawn didnt have a catcher on and so the clipping and seeds were everywhere.. thankfully the second time he used a catcher and picked up some of the clipping from last time so got rid of a heap of seeds but she still managed to get one in her foot.. You would know the seeds when you see them.. they are kind of V shaped.. and the V shape makes moving into the fur easier.. There are a few types of grass that have V shaped seeds.. some big and some small.. but not all grasses do.. Another thing to look out for are Burrs..