E Collars South Australia- Legal?

I find this REALLY interesting........my son is away working in Argentina at the moment but before he left he came to SA to say goodbye to Mummy and Daddy (cos we were missing him and he lives in QLD when he's in Aus). We had a couple of dogs doing runners after rabbits etc when out in the paddock and then only coming back 15 mins later when they felt like it so we asked him to bring his 2 e-collars down for us.........he packed them into his carryon luggage with Virgin in front of the Virgin booking staff and walked straight onto the plane to come down to SA. When he arrived he said he thought about giving the big fat man next to him an electric shock to move over :flame:

We were all pretty sure he wouldn't be able to bring them over in carry on luggage as they are illegal here!!!!!!

I find this REALLY interesting........my son [brought] his 2 e-collars down for us.........he packed them into his carryon luggage with Virgin in front of the Virgin booking staff and walked straight onto the plane to come down to SA.

We were all pretty sure he wouldn't be able to bring them over in carry on luggage as they are illegal here!!!!!!

Wording is "illegal to use" not "illegal to have", I think you'll find.

Edited by Erny

So what states are E collars legal/illegal in? Anyone know :walkdog:

I was under the impression that they were illegal to use in Vic but okay in other states, same as pp collars..??

No - it is pretty much the opposite.

Use of PPCollars is illegal in Victoria. Legal everywhere else in the World.

Use of E-Collars is legal in Victoria (conditional) whilst it is illegal in SA and NSW (I'd have to double check before I made claims for the other States).

Which is a pretty amazing thing for our predominantly "Nanny State".

Edited by Erny

I've never been able to get an answer on whether or not e-collars are legal when used under recommendation/supervision of a suitably qualified instructor.

I would have preferred to use an e-collar on Grover for his barking than to have had him debarked but the option wasn't open to us. Citronella collars were unsuccessful because they wouldn't stay in the correct position because of his sighthound neck & long sighthound nose.

Use of PPCollars is illegal in Victoria. Legal everywhere else in the World.

Definitely illegal to own, import or use in Tassie. I understand that even loose links sent in the mail will be confiscated.

Aidan - can you point me (provide a link) to the Tasmanian State legislation/regulation where it states that the PPCollar may not be used in Tassie please?

E collar - legal in QLD.

Not legal to use in SA (words like not allowed "put on collar designed to shock").

I did a ring around and it seems that SA RSPCA staff and SA Police do not know this rule.

So people do use them in SA. Especially for the "invisible fence".

I think they're not legal in Victoria either.

Not sure about other states.

I am stuffed if I know why e-collars are not legal in various states, but electric fences are. There isn't a whole lot of difference in terms of the "cruelty" level. And owners who abuse e-collars - though most of them have time out limits and voltage limits - these are the same owners who are going to abuse cricket bats too. People get hysterical about the tool when they know nothing about how they work or how they feel, and don't look at the user.

VCA (ie Dogs Victoria) members are not permitted to use them or prong collars under their rules or can be de-registered I believe

If you are a member of your state controlling body and want to remain a member I would also check with them to see if you can use them or not under your state's rules

Edited by helen

VCA (ie Dogs Victoria) members are not permitted to use them or prong collars under their rules or can be de-registered I believe

If you are a member of your state controlling body and want to remain a member I would also check with them to see if you can use them or not under your state's rules

I know that CCCQ don't permit the use of e-collars either. Although they accept payment and advertise electronic containment systems in their monthly mag. Go figure.

I am pretty sure they are legal in WA. OH's parents have an electric no-bark collar for their dog that they got while in Bunbury. I'd never seen one and actually thought they were illegal. I looked it up purely out of interest and it seemed they were legal in WA, but not many other places in Australia.

I only had a cursory look, though. It was several years ago.

The e-collar so did not solve the barking issue. They have just moved to QLD and the dog is now drugged half the time and still barks heaps. His bark sets the collar off and makes him yelp, which sets the collar off again. When he was in WA, he would usually figure out to stop barking at that point, but he's got some issues that are getting worse as he gets older, and he didn't take the move that well, poor little guy.

Incidentally, OH's parents have no idea that their collar is not legal in some states. How are people meant to abide by the law when it's so random and the people it's especially relevant to have no idea it even exists?

Incidentally, OH's parents have no idea that their collar is not legal in some states. How are people meant to abide by the law when it's so random and the people it's especially relevant to have no idea it even exists?

If it is not random, then bet your bottom dollar that everything that is banned would be banned in every State, and not the other way around ..... if a certain someone has his way. IOW, one stupid decision in one State would flow through to all other States. That ain't a great idea either, so I'm not complaining about the randomisation aspect.