Puppy Breathing Really Fast

Breanna

Hey guys,

this is my first post :( and I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not..

I have a 6 Month old Malamute called Mellow who is a fantastic little guy, but whenever he lays down to relax he is always breathing & panting really quickly. My other dog doesnt seem to do it, so im wondering if there is a reason for it? We do take Mel for a walk everyday, but it is eithier early in the morning or later at night when its cooler and we feel really bad because it always seems like he is really puffed even though there not long walks as he is still a pup.

It might just be a normal thing.. but any advice will be appreciated

thanks! :)

Firstly, welcome to the forum. :(

Has Mellow been vet checked recently?

Is she on heartworm prevention?

Normal Respiratory rate is 18-34 breaths per minute

Respiratory rate is the number of breaths per minute. Normal respiratory rates are assessed when the dog is resting. A dog that is in pain, having heart or respiratory problems, suffering from heatstroke, or simply excited will usually have increased respiratory rates. It is important to gauge the overall situation and condition of the animal to assess the respiratory rate.
Edited by Cazablanca

Hey guys,

I have a 6 Month old Malamute called Mellow who is a fantastic little guy, but whenever he lays down to relax he is always breathing & panting really quickly. My other dog doesnt seem to do it, so im wondering if there is a reason for it? We do take Mel for a walk everyday, but it is eithier early in the morning or later at night when its cooler and we feel really bad because it always seems like he is really puffed even though there not long walks as he is still a pup.

Cory seems to breathe alot faster and harder when he's sleeping/relaxing too! Will watch this thread with interest.

I usually release him from the crate if it's really loud, to let him get a drink, and he does drink alot when let out, so assumed he was thirsty??

Hey guys,

Cory seems to breathe alot faster and harder when he's sleeping/relaxing too! Will watch this thread with interest.

I usually release him from the crate if it's really loud, to let him get a drink, and he does drink alot when let out, so assumed he was thirsty??

Jet does the same. He will then drink a heap of water.

Wuggles does the same,being a Pug it is normal,i usually take him outside if it is a bit cooler,let him settle and cool down,then back inside to relax.After he has been put to bed and sleeping for an hour,i always check on him,his breathing slows right down,and you can hardly even hear him breath :love: ,until he starts to snore that is :) .

Puppies breathe faster than adults ..

if he is warm, but not hot enough to pant...or too sleepy, he may well breathe faster instead...

dogs lying on bedding/carpet- or confined to a crate with bedding may not cool down properly...and stay uncomfortably warm for a lot longer ...

Edited by persephone