Golden Retriever - To Clip Or Not To Clip?

loulouB

I have a 2 year old golden retriever.

Last Summer we had her coat clipped quite short, because we thought she might be getting hot...

I have seen quite a few golden retrievers with short hair cuts during summer-time.

However - someone told me that you should not clip a golden retrievers coat?? They said the long coat doesnt make them any hotter, because it acts like an insulator, and clipping them wont necessarily make them any cooler. And they also said that it means the coat grows back more coarse & rough.

Any one have an opinion on this?

Thanks!

General consensus from what I've read seems to be don't clip - makes no difference and can actually make it worse - they can even get sunburnt if you clip them too short apparently.

My MIL clips her Border Collie x Golden Retriever and her coat has grown back all over the place since she started doing it 3-4 years ago whereas it used to be nice. It looks awful.

I think you'd be best giving her a good brush and making sure all the dead undercoat comes out - get an undercoat rake, or a mars coat king or a furminator rather than clipping her.

I have a 2 year old golden retriever.

Last Summer we had her coat clipped quite short, because we thought she might be getting hot...

I have seen quite a few golden retrievers with short hair cuts during summer-time.

However - someone told me that you should not clip a golden retrievers coat?? They said the long coat doesnt make them any hotter, because it acts like an insulator, and clipping them wont necessarily make them any cooler. And they also said that it means the coat grows back more coarse & rough.

Any one have an opinion on this?

Thanks!

I had a Goldie when I lived in India,she was never clipped and is was a damn site hotter over there then it is here and she never had a problem.

Personally I would never clip the dog.

Edited by Wolfsong

I just talked my cousin out of clipping her Samoyed this week! On the other hand I do clip my elderly overweight (I know that my fault!) dog Lilly because she HATES being brushed and likes ( :laugh: ) being clipped. I am scared of the heat getting to her and at 13 I don't care that her coat is ruined. On the other hand my cousins 2yo Samoyed should get to enjoy his beatiful coat until he is an old dog.

I just talked my cousin out of clipping her Samoyed this week! On the other hand I do clip my elderly overweight (I know that my fault!) dog Lilly because she HATES being brushed and likes ( :laugh: ) being clipped. I am scared of the heat getting to her and at 13 I don't care that her coat is ruined. On the other hand my cousins 2yo Samoyed should get to enjoy his beatiful coat until he is an old dog.

The very thought of a shaved Samoyed sends chills down my spine

Yup don't clip it again. Since you've clipped it recently you might want to take a bit of extra care that she keeps cool this summer as it can take years for the coat to get back to normal. The undercoat and the top coat grow at different rates and currently her natural insulation would be all over the place.

My friend clips her goldie and his coat is awful. When it grows back it is very coarse and wavey and thin.

Edited by Mim

My first Goldie got clipped for summer. I didn't know any different and thought it would be cooler for him. He was a rescue and was a messy rescue at that. After his coat grew back, he looked fantastic. Will see if I can find pics.

My second Goldie was also a 'rescue' however his coat was SO thick, it was obvious he had been an outside only dog. Early summer, he just lay on the pavers in the shade and panted like mad. It wasn't even that hot. So I got him clipped as well. Same puppy cut as the first Goldie. His coat has grown back fine, no problems at all. However, I haven't had him clipped since I first got him 3 years ago as he is now an inside dog and the aircon gets left on for him on hot days. He gets brushed every day and I give him 3 fish oil capsules every day. His coat is beautifully soft. (He gets bathed once or twice a year :( )

I have a friend who has a Goldie and a Flatcoat and because she never brushes them, they get clipped every summer. Their coats have grown back fine as well. They do look a bit odd though when clipped and that's as much to do with the groomer more than anything. I have tried to discourage her from doing it but each to their own.

Personally, I think if your dog is outside in the heat of the day, make sure you have a paddling pool / clam shell in the shade so the dog can cool off when hot.

Very regular brushing to remove all the dead undercoat helps, and a Mars Coat King Rake (#18) used monthly from October to March makes all the difference too. It's what I do and I have a happy cool dog :love:

My second Goldie was also a 'rescue' however his coat was SO thick, it was obvious he had been an outside only dog.

My 20 month old goldie has a very thin coat compared to other goldies I see. She has never been clipped. Could her thin coat be caused by her staying indoors most of the time?

This is her photo just after a bath:

post-25771-1256765034_thumb.jpg

My second Goldie was also a 'rescue' however his coat was SO thick, it was obvious he had been an outside only dog.

My 20 month old goldie has a very thin coat compared to other goldies I see. She has never been clipped. Could her thin coat be caused by her staying indoors most of the time?

Her coat doesn't look much different to my boy's :)

I had another goldie who was quite dark in colour, I swear he didn't have an undercoat at all! Hever never shed hair :( and you hardly ever got anything off him when brushed. I'm looking for another goldie just like him :)

Any double-coated dog which is kept mostly indoors will normally have a thinner coat than the equivalent kept outdoors. Some of this is because under "artificial conditions" (ie lights, heating etc) the dog will normally shed constantly whereas a strictly outdoors dog will have definite shedding periods, usually twice per year.

Her coat doesn't look much different to my boy's :rofl:

I had another goldie who was quite dark in colour, I swear he didn't have an undercoat at all! Hever never shed hair :grouphug: and you hardly ever got anything off him when brushed. I'm looking for another goldie just like him :laugh:

Thanks Goldielover and ArtyFarty. I don't think my dog would swap being inside for a better coat :rofl:

I was worried since a few people have asked me if she is a labrador x goldie. She is a purebred goldie and her mum has won a few shows. But her mum has a thicker coat.

Don't clip.

The coat's not designed for it.

The coat is insulation- helps keep them cool in summer, warm in winter.

Use common sense- avoid walking them in the hottest part of the day and have a shaded spot for them to rest outside.

I have poodles which need clipping, but they never have a long coat.

They look similar both summer and winter and don't seem bothered at all even though they're active thru summer.

A professional groom is worthwhile, though.

Force dryers can get rid of excess undercoat.

Regular brushing keeps good airlow thru their coat- matted fur isn't as cool as a brushed coat.