Gsd Arthritis Getting Worse

Kelpie-i

A lot of people are very anti-drugs, but given the choice, I'd rather have a dog in less pain and risk side-effects.

Even a premature death with long-term meds would be preferable than seeing my dog in pain every day.

Most dogs are very stoic, too, so we don't know until the pain is pretty severe.

I used to be one who was very anti drugs too and I held out for over 2 years but seeing the difference now is all worth it. I tell everyone, it's quality of life that's so much more important than quantity. :walkdog:

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

I don't think as Guardians of dogs we can be anti-drug, if drugs are what are best for our dogs then we have to provide them.

Preventing a dog from having quality of life is selfish and cruel...

Definately swimming. It will increase muscle tone but is low impact. The best is an underwater treadmill. I believe there is one in Melbourne and they have a hydrotherapy pool and physio's as well. A hydrotherapy pool is better than swimming in cold water as the warm water increases blood flow. I have been swimming my dog in a hydrotherapy pool and his muscle tone has improved immensely as has his range of motion. I started out on the underwater treadmill to give him water cofidence, he really enjoyed it.

if the drugs are providing that quality of life with minimal to no side effects I dont have an issue

but to see my own dog sucking them down, actively seeking the storage draw and trying to medicate himself like some drug addict with no benefit to his well being, thats why I dont give them to him. A little bearable pain wont kill him in fact it makes him sit his little but down in the crate and rest. Otherwise he still gets along and his problems are more from wear and tear/not being able to support himself then cutting out medication. Any NSAIDS are reserved for if he trips/falls or his hip comes from the socket a little too much

He gets his alternative therapies, foods, supplements, massages etc.

I have been giving my German Shepherds a product called Syn-flex for many years, which is a liquid glucosamine. It has really helped them, and I just add it to their food, extremely palatable. I have bought it off ebay as it isn't sold in Australia. I gave it to a friend with a 16 year old Chihuahua to try, and she said it has really helped him, but if she misses a day, you can see his stiffness come back. Also another friend with a Poodle has had her on it for a few years with great success.

You can read about it here :

http://www.gmvnutrition.com.au/article1.htm

Just a quick update on Buddy for those who may be interested.

My Vet came down yesterday and gave him some accupuncture treatment. Within minutes he was sound asleep with his head on my lap....so cute!

She also gave him a shot of cartrophen and suggested we up the freqency to every month with this as opposed to every 6 months as is currently. The accupuncture every 2nd month or sooner if needed.

I went out and purchased a concentrated formula of glucosamine, MSM and chondroitin which I have now started him on. He is also booked in for a swimming session next week...slowly to start with.

I never heard back from the lady who does the remedial massage but I know of another who is in my area and will contact her today to organise.

Today he is bouncing around like a puppy (probably due to the cartrophen), still dragging his back legs a little but is sustaning movement much better. I hope that all these measures will assist him in coping with the damned arthritis. I just wish they never grew old.

Wow, K-i. You are certainly doing everything I think anyone could think to suggest to help Bud and make him as comfortable as possible so that his quality of life endures ;).

In the past I have been a bit of a sceptic when it comes to the benefits of acupuncture, but I have seen for myself through the 2 sessions my boy has had, the improvement that can result. Love the image of Bud relaxing so much from it. Must have been a great feeling for him :).

Good luck with all that you are doing - I am absolutely certain Bud will appreciate it all. Bet he will be secretly be going "nah nah nahnanah" at your other dogs, for the special attention and TLC that he's getting. That in itself will probably having him feel great and he'll be able to snub his nose at the fact that the others can zoom around that bit faster than he. :)

Thanks for the update.

Edited by Erny

Just a quick update on Buddy for those who may be interested.

My Vet came down yesterday and gave him some accupuncture treatment. Within minutes he was sound asleep with his head on my lap....so cute!

She also gave him a shot of cartrophen and suggested we up the freqency to every month with this as opposed to every 6 months as is currently. The accupuncture every 2nd month or sooner if needed.

I went out and purchased a concentrated formula of glucosamine, MSM and chondroitin which I have now started him on. He is also booked in for a swimming session next week...slowly to start with.

I never heard back from the lady who does the remedial massage but I know of another who is in my area and will contact her today to organise.

Today he is bouncing around like a puppy (probably due to the cartrophen), still dragging his back legs a little but is sustaning movement much better. I hope that all these measures will assist him in coping with the damned arthritis. I just wish they never grew old.

My girl goes to sleep even before the needles go in :o

I take her own mat to the vets and before I know it she's snoring her head off :)

Our Greyhound boy has been on Previcox for the last couple of months and he is a different dog. He has been on Joint Guard, fish oil and a course of cartrophen but it is the addition of Previcox that has made the difference. We give it to him every day and if we miss one it is quite obvious. Instead of moping around he is now much more interested in what is going on around the house. If it means giving them to him everyday for the rest of his life then I believe it is worth it (he is only 7 1/2 by the way).

I am also interested in acupuncture so will be interested to hear your thoughts.

Trish :)

Hi Kelpie-i.....sounds like you're doing as much as you can for your GSD's arthritis - it's always hard to see them slow down later in life. When the time comes that you have to make your dog's last decision, hopefully you may be able to take some solace in the knowledge that you did everything you could to make his/her senior years pain-free and comfy. I had my old girl (a Rough Collie aged 15 years!) put to sleep last year - and had battled arthritis and hip problems for at least the last 10 years with her..........so can sympathise with what you are both going through.

I now have a 13 month-old GSD longcoat female.........who spends most of her time tearing around like she's been shot out of a cannon - and I'm battling to slow her down! But we wouldn't be without them, right?

Scarlet_GSD

Edited by Scarlet_GSD

I am also interested in acupuncture so will be interested to hear your thoughts.

I used acupuncture on my Dobe and she loved it and it gave her some relief.

I had to keep her quite the day after or she would feel so good she would race around like a loony and undo all the good work. It helped immensly along with all the otehr things I was doing