Jumping On People At The Front Door

My two dogs go ballistically stupid at the front door, bouncing off it and my visitors whenever they come around. My ex partners friends encouraged when they were puppies by clapping, making excited noises, chasing them etc. All my efforts at asking them to stop because I wanted to TRAIN them not to be so excited at the door didn't work. So 3 years later they have both been HEAVILY rewarded for this behaviour.

Four months ago my ex and I broke up and I thought this was a fantastic opportunity to train the dogs out of this behaviour as I could control all interactions. I have a treat jar at my front door and all visitors take a treat, are invited in and when both puppies have their butts on the ground they get a treat. The theory that behaviour that is rewarded will increase has certainly rung true. When we have visitors they are still rediculously excited and bounce on the door then the visitor and THEN sit on their butts wriggling so fast till they get their treat. Then do the process all over again.

So has anyone had experience with a chronic jumper? What methods have you used and do you have any suggestions to help?

ETA: I do have a manners minder but my problem lies in the fact that I only have one of them and two dogs and so far can't see how to get it to work for them both.

Edited by kiesha09

Have you tried putting the dogs on a lead before you go to the door? Then you can prevent them from jumping on the person, and then reward for desired behaviour (sit) and control interactions. It might also be easier if you do this one at a time - so maybe have one dog outside or in a crate or other room and one dog with you when you go to the door to greet the visitor.

isn't there a contraption jumping dogs can wear to stop them from jumping up? sort of like a harness for their legs?

Hm. I had an issue with my pup jumping when he first arrived.

We'd make the guest leave the door again if pup left the sit position back from the door and we continued to do this untill it was effective.

Haven't had issues since.

Also; you could give silence a shot? No excitement for the door, no excitement for the guest, teach the household and the guests to be silent untill in the living room etc.

Have you tried putting the dogs on a lead before you go to the door? Then you can prevent them from jumping on the person, and then reward for desired behaviour (sit) and control interactions. It might also be easier if you do this one at a time - so maybe have one dog outside or in a crate or other room and one dog with you when you go to the door to greet the visitor.

I have tried this but normally there was two dogs on lead and it all got slightly chaotic. Think I will just have to alternate between the two and put one in the crate.

Hm. I had an issue with my pup jumping when he first arrived.

We'd make the guest leave the door again if pup left the sit position back from the door and we continued to do this untill it was effective.

Haven't had issues since.

Also; you could give silence a shot? No excitement for the door, no excitement for the guest, teach the household and the guests to be silent untill in the living room etc.

I generally make my visitors leave as well when they jump first before sitting. But with such a long reinforcement history they continue going silly and sometimes my visitors could be outside for a good 20 minutes before they can come in.

The rule is definately already in place that there is now no excitement or even talking at the door. Not even a hello :rolleyes: until they have calmed down.

I have tried this but normally there was two dogs on lead and it all got slightly chaotic. Think I will just have to alternate between the two and put one in the crate.

It's always easier to train each dog individually until you have both well trained - so good idea!

I generally make my visitors leave as well when they jump first before sitting. But with such a long reinforcement history they continue going silly and sometimes my visitors could be outside for a good 20 minutes before they can come in.

Use controlled set-ups. Invite a sympathetic friend over and drill this until you get it in hand. The habituation from repeated exposures will help dull the excitement a little, too. If you have the time and inclination, you can devote a weekend to having visitors who are clued up on what you are trying to achieve, have them come over at set times across the weekend. Your neighbours will think you are a drug dealer.

My dog does this a bit as well.

I don't have any solutions.

The best I could come up with, was getting someone to come to the door 20 times a day and walk away unless dog was calm.

Of course this is impractical.But I bet it's going to be the only thing that would work.

We just aren't patient enough to out-wait our dogs excitement.

This is so frustrating in our house. I think if you know someone is coming over it makes life easier.

We have such a highly reactive dog, if we miss that window of opportunity he is off and barking and jumping. We find that having some treats near the door has helped to reward for sitting quietly when we come and go. I am also trying to use the term 'wait' to get a calm (okay, quiet) sit when we go to doors.

Now if I could people who come to the house to not reward him jumping up by making a fuss of him then that would make life SO much easier :rolleyes:

I've got to the stage that Tango greets mate with a lead on and it's still almost impossible to keep him glued to the ground till the obligatory pat has been given....I just know that if I stick to it for long enough it will work - it's easier getting Tango to do what I want than to get mate to greet Tango slowly and patiently...... so I'm educating Tango... :rofl: