Dogs And Fruit

Bubitty

My two have taken a severe liking to fruit and are probably eating equivalent to about 300g a day. Is this too much?

They eat a mix of fruits (strawberries, pears, bananas, blueberries, oranges, apples)

No ill effects but I worry that there is too much natural sugars in the fruit.

Any thoughts?

All my dogs eat fruit regularly & given the opportunity will pull them off the trees, especially oranges, cumquats, apples, pears & mulberries (we have a weeping mulberry which is easily reachable) - they adore oranges. We've never taught them to do this & it is something dogs (wolves etc) do naturally in the wild. If it's not upsetting them in any way then let them eat. :rofl:

If it hasn't affected them thus far as far as the poo factory is concerned then I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure they drink lots and get bones to clean their teeth.

what ellz said.

charlie will choose fruit over meat/bones anyday. i use fruit as treats for him when we do training sometimes...

Thanks Guys!!!!!

Its such a cheap and easy snack/training treat to give them!!!

While we are on it, what do you guys think of sweet potatoes (steamed). Is it too starchy? I know they don’t need rice, wheat etc but they LOVE sweet potatoes!

Thanks Guys!!!!!

Its such a cheap and easy snack/training treat to give them!!!

While we are on it, what do you guys think of sweet potatoes (steamed). Is it too starchy? I know they don’t need rice, wheat etc but they LOVE sweet potatoes!

Don't know about steamed, but my raw vegie/fruit pulp mix is based on pumpkin and sweet potato with no issues.

Sweet potato is great however served, although as with "normal" potato you should be careful with the portion that is directly under the skin.

Sweet potato can also be fed as part of a bland diet if your dog is unwell, along with or instead of white rice and chicken.

I feed fruit regularly. I give apples (sliced up), banana, strawberries and mandarin. They love fruit and we haven't had any problems but probably don't feed as much as you do. They just had a banana tonight after their dinner.

LOL you lot sound like you own monkeys, not dogs! But it is great to see such a wide variety of foods in their diet.

I have one that eats all sorts of fruit and veges but the other one (rescue who has been very badly starved) just looks at me like I insulted him.