How Do I Discourage.....

raffikki

Rhino is just on 6 months old and over the last 3 or 4 days he has started barking at his bowl as soon as he's finished eating.

It's a playful bark, but pretty loud, and I've seen him crouched down with his tail wagging when I've gone out to him.

It was sorta funny the first time he did it, but I didn't laugh or show any sort of emotion, just picked the bowl up as normal.

He is continuing to do it every meal and I'm worried what the neighbours think at 6.15am :cheer:

I feed him outside and Electra inside, he gets fed first and by the time he's finished I'm usually inside with Electra so it takes me a minute or 2 to get out there to pick it up.

Apart from staying out there with him and picking it up immediately, is there something I can do to deter his new obsession?

I'm not sure if it relates to this.....but for a week or so, about a month ago, he was obsessed with his own pooh in pretty much the same way :laugh:

He'd do his business then jump around barking at it :cooldance:

Luckily that did only last about a week!

If not feeding bones, I like to hide or scatter my dog's food, or put it in a toy. My yard is split into two sections so this is easy for me, with two dogs, but you can do the same thing indoors and outdoors also. Or lay a simple track: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/2304 None of these things take much longer than putting the food in a bowl, and your dogs will enjoy the opportunity to work for their food.

If not feeding bones, I like to hide or scatter my dog's food, or put it in a toy. My yard is split into two sections so this is easy for me, with two dogs, but you can do the same thing indoors and outdoors also. Or lay a simple track: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/2304 None of these things take much longer than putting the food in a bowl, and your dogs will enjoy the opportunity to work for their food.

Good ideas there. :cooldance:

Or you could clicker train him to bring his bowl back when he's finished. More work, but would solve your problem, use his brain, and be double cute.

Or you could clicker train him to bring his bowl back when he's finished. More work, but would solve your problem, use his brain, and be double cute.

I have a friend who trained her dog to put his bowl in the dishwasher when he was finished with it! More work initially, but in the long term...

Thanks for the ideas ;)

I'll try a plastic bowl tonight and see if it makes a difference.

I do scatter some of the dry food around, unfortunately anything of higher value he becomes possessive of the area :laugh:

I'll check that link now, thanks :)

I do like the idea of him bringing the bowl back to me :( , I might look into teaching them both that!

I do scatter some of the dry food around, unfortunately anything of higher value he becomes possessive of the area :(

Hmmm, how long for? If it's only while the food is there, separate them. If it's for some amount of time afterwards, that's a whole 'nuther problem. Either way it rings a few alarm bells.

I do scatter some of the dry food around, unfortunately anything of higher value he becomes possessive of the area :laugh:

Hmmm, how long for? If it's only while the food is there, separate them. If it's for some amount of time afterwards, that's a whole 'nuther problem. Either way it rings a few alarm bells.

It's only really for 5 or so minutes after he's finished eating, and I'm feeding him in different places each time(was advised to do this) I thought that if I scatter his raw/smelly food he may continue to be possessive of that area?

It's only with my other pup he is possessive, I can do what I want with him and his food, he's great in that department :(

Oh and thanks Ruth ;)

Scattering dog food or treats around any area when that dog shares the area with another dog is NOT a wise idea at all, even if the dog is alone at the time, theres a good chance he wont find all the treats and then when both are out together it could be the cause of a fight especially as Rhino would believe those treats to be his!

I strongly recommend you refrain from doing that :mad

Instead try feeding Electra outside and Rhino inside that way u can remove his bowl right away...His uncle Cody likes to mark his bowl after every meal and thats really annoying also but i live with it lol ewwww...

reflection was my first thought, I'm sure he'll soon be interested in the noise the bowl makes when you push it round and round ..LOL

Ha.... this is why I use plastic bowls now.

Buster thought it was fun to push the metal bowl around the whole yard... I don't think the neighbours appreciated it at all.

Only thing is now if I don't pick the bowl up straight after he has finished eating, he then eats the bowl too! :cry:

I'm up to plastic bowl number 3 now. :mad

The plastic bowl has stopped him barking for the last couple of days, maybe it was his reflection he was interested in? :confused::lollipop:

As I read your post I wondered "what sort of bowl?" and whether it was a metal one in which he could see his reflection.

I'm not a fan of plastic bowls. They become scratched and can harbour bacteria. This can cause things that appear as similar to snow nose. I prefer ceramic bowls - but good quality proper dog ones, as certain ceramics are not good for dogs either. I also like the ceramics for the very reason that dogs can't get into the habit of using them as toys afterwards.

And whilst a good trick of teaching your dog to place bowl in the dishwasher, careful that it doesn't promote interest in the dishwasher itself, which can become annoying. Moreover, the chemicals we use in dishwashers is often fairly costic (sp?) - I keep my boy well clear of it.

And finally, my apologies. I sound like the fun police :rasberry:. Just some points to consider and intended to be helpful.

Edited by Erny

Thanks for suggesting the ceramic bowl Erny :D

I hadn't even thought of one of those!

I don't really like the plastic bowl for the same reason you say, they get scratched up and and can harbour bacteria.

He has now started barking at the plastic one anyway :( so I'm going out today to get a ceramic one :)

I assume that places like city farmers and better pets & gardens sell the right kind?

I was taught many years ago by an experienced breeder to always feed my dogs together and remain in control. I always feed them in the same place, put the bowls down in the same order (pack order) and make sure everyone sticks to their own bowl. They are trained to wait at their spot untl the bowl is put down. The bowls can then be removed immediately if needed or if I have dogs like the easygoing ones I have now they are allowed to lick each others bowls once I give the word. The bowls are then removed. They also eat bones together and if anyone leaves their bone or tries to bury it, the bone is removed. Buried bones or any food left around can cause fights.

This has always worked well for me with feeding up to about six or seven dogs and even when I have had males that I could not run together, they always ate together under supervision. Even new puppies and visiting dogs all seem to get the hang of this well established routine in a matter of days. Anyone who doesn't want to stick to the rules is fed on lead until they accept my terms for eating dinner.

If the OP could feed both dogs together and then remove the bowls immediately it would solve the barking problem.