Aussie Or Toller

kiesha09

Yikes toller scream!!! Haven't heard of that before. Sounds slightly disturbing :rofl:

Yes it is very disturbing if you didn't know the dog is actually having fun!

They just have a demented way of showing it :thumbsup:

I would definately hear a scream before deciding 100% on a Toller on the chance you get a screamer

One of my boys screams whenever he gets really excited, which is frequently as he is a really happy dog :lol:

Tollers are alot lighter and smaller then Aussies I've seen in the ring at the moment.

Good luck, I love Aussies and are the next breed on my list. It was a very tough decision for the second dog though there are definately no regrets, I adore my Tollers :(

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The main thing I don't like about Holly is she is noisy when she plays. She doesn't bark at cars/people walking past or out of boredom but Aussies do tend to bark when they play.

That's not barking, it's talking (or so I've been told). It's worse when you have two because the vocabulary increases to growling, snarling, yipping and groaning, all in the name of having a great time while dragging each other around the backyard by their neck ruffs.

They look at me in amazement if I stick my head out the window to see what's wrong....and as soon as I mind my own business they're right back into it.

There's a lady who belongs to the Sale Obedience Club who owns both an Aussie and a Toller.

I have the broken Aussies, the ones that aren't full on all the time, the ones that are happy enough to settle down and relax when we want them to be quiet. I just love them to bits, they are one very awesome breed.

Don't know much about Tollers, I've only ever seen one (that belonged to the lady in Sale) but I was more interested in her Aussie so didn't really pay much attention to her other dog.

I have 2 aussies after a lifetime of owning shelties and I have to say my first aussie was a real shock and has been a handful in everyway. I love her dearly but she has a number of health and temperament issues that make her a real challenge.

Because of this it took me a very long time to decide to get another but my next one is now 9mths and he is like a different breed. He came from a breeder who socialized and trained her puppies and he has honestly been a joy to own. He is still quite reserved with strangers but I don’t have any issues with that. In short if you do get an aussie spend some time researching the breeder and the temperaments of past litters

Tollers are known as the wash and wear breed in the show ring where over grooming is frowned upon.

Like Aussies they dump coat twice a year. Ears need the occassional pluck if you are showing - but pet people usually leave them unplucked. Feet need to be trimmed every couple of weeks. Bathing is as often as you want - I usually do mine once a month or whenever we have a big obedience event on. I find that the coats dry really quickly.

Drive levels in the breed do vary. From personal experience the girls learn much quicker than the boys

I am not sure if you know this but most breeders charge roughly the same amount and you would be looking at $1500 for a pet puppy and $2000 for a future breeding prospect

Aussies aren't for everyone despite the masses who will attempt to tell you otherwise...

Go out of your way to spend some time with both breeds and make an informed decision for yourself :)

It is better to make your own judgment by seeing the 2 breeds in the flesh - you will know then which breed you prefer

oooh Aussies and Tollers; two of my three favorite breeds (guess #1 :cry:)

Reeeaaaally tought choice here; I say have one of each :rainbowbridge:

But.. IF I had to choose I'd probably go Toller, but then again Aussie... ah you make a hard question.

I have a question- Which breed is more active?

From what I have seen of Tollers, Aussies do tend to have much heavier frames. Except my little midget. :rainbowbridge:

Midgets are the bestest Lyndsay :cry:

I have spoken to several Aussie breeders in the past few months and have been quoted from $600 to $1000. Most were $700 or $800 for a pet.

Yep thats what I've found too, sometime a little more than $1000, but that was with a rebate with proof of desexing.

I got my first Aussie ealy this year, and boy is he a handful. But he is my first working breed as well, so very different to what I am used to.. I have a pug and a foxie, chihuahua cross!

Im sure you'll be happy with whichever you end up choosing, Sparky is SO much fun, and Just the other day, he learnt to swim :cry:

Proud mother photos, coming through!

swimmy2.jpg

swimmy5.jpg

If you want a dog with those kinds of looks but without the health issues and without the scream (but with the clicking talk) perhaps you should consider a long coated Koolie - they also cost a lot less and generally come with an off switch and are available in a wide range of colour variations.

perhaps you should consider a long coated Koolie - they also cost a lot less and generally come with an off switch and are available in a wide range of colour variations

But where do you get them from? Australian Shepherds are relatively easy to come by these days.......there are almost always litters advertised on DOL, and the state breed clubs could probably help potential buyers out with other litters available. All in all, you wouldn't have to wait long, even if you were quite specific about colours and markings (I was with my girl and I waited a few weeks for her to be born, then another 8 weeks til she came home) .

Koolies aren't a breed I've ever seen advertised anywhere. I realise they aren't yet ANKC recognised, so how do you source a good breeder?

perhaps you should consider a long coated Koolie - they also cost a lot less and generally come with an off switch and are available in a wide range of colour variations

But where do you get them from? Australian Shepherds are relatively easy to come by these days.......there are almost always litters advertised on DOL, and the state breed clubs could probably help potential buyers out with other litters available. All in all, you wouldn't have to wait long, even if you were quite specific about colours and markings (I was with my girl and I waited a few weeks for her to be born, then another 8 weeks til she came home) .

Koolies aren't a breed I've ever seen advertised anywhere. I realise they aren't yet ANKC recognised, so how do you source a good breeder?

I was wondering this just half an hour ago! Didn't find any answers though.

Quite easily actually, just do what most people do when trying to find info and Google it.

First result on both Coolie and Koolie was this site......http://www.australian-koolies.info/

In the future I want to add another fur baby to the family ;) This will only be when the right pup comes along, so no definate time frame as yet.

First and foremost this little girl (already know I want a bitch) with be a well loved pet. But I also would like for this new dog to be involved in dog sports, particularly agility. I love training so this new pup will be burdened :cry: with playing lots of shaping games, coming out to different training clubs with me a few times a week and going lots of new places. So mental stiumlation will really not be a problem.

I also already walk my two current dogs for about an hour a day, so exercise should not be a problem. I do have extra time to allow for training and exercising a puppy seperately.

I also work full time, however my current two dogs cope with this fine and with the right training I'm confident my new pup will too.

So I have done lots of research on both breeds and met a number of different Aussies and Tollers. Problem is that now I can't choose!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

So I'm throwing it out to all the expert Aussie and Toller owners out there who already live with one of these breeds to give me your most honest pros and cons of your chosen breed. Please mention ANYTHING that you can think of as all information will be helpful!

Thanks!!!

I have three aussies, and they are pretty diferent to eachother.. it depends onthe lines.

PM me if you want to chat and ask questions, but be warned aussies aren't for everyone.

I know of three very good breeders in SA out near you that breed wonderful aussies.

Two of which have litters on the ground at the moment, one is being handreared.

Quite easily actually, just do what most people do when trying to find info and Google it.

First result on both Coolie and Koolie was this site......http://www.australian-koolies.info/

I did that before I posted, and I found really very little current info, and not many pictures of long haired koolies. Some of the links didn't work, some sites were very out of date and some breed koolies that clearly aren't suitable for pets.....they appear to be hardcore working dogs and not the type most people would want as a pet.

The Australian Koolie Club is the place to start - http://www.australian-koolies.info/breeders.html - Silhouette Koolies near Echuca have medium-long coats in their lines and they are very nice looking dogs. on the whole though, the long coats just turn up in a litter of shortcoats. I can give your their emal if you want to PM me. If she does not have any expected she will probably know of someone who does. The Koolie Club breeders have a policy of keeping prices low. The Club will have a stand at the Sydney Pet Expo in November and I think they are planning one at a Melbourne Pet Expo sometime this year. PM me if you want me to ask the club for names of breeders.

Perry is certainly low care - her medium long coat is soft and fine and dirt just drops out of it. She gets a hydrobath every 4-6 weeks and that is the extent of her grooming.

Edited by Perry's Mum

Thanks everyone for all the info, its been great! At this stage I'm still not 100% sure but 'think' I'm leaning towards an Aussie. Who knows though, I might change my mind next week :rofl:

One thing is for sure, I've made myself the promise that I'm not getting a new puppy until the two dogs I have currently stop jumping on people at the front door :rofl:

So off training I go.... so I can get my Aussie... or Toller.... all the more quickly :)

Thanks everyone for all the info, its been great! At this stage I'm still not 100% sure but 'think' I'm leaning towards an Aussie. Who knows though, I might change my mind next week :rofl:

One thing is for sure, I've made myself the promise that I'm not getting a new puppy until the two dogs I have currently stop jumping on people at the front door :rofl:

So off training I go.... so I can get my Aussie... or Toller.... all the more quickly :)

I have three options for the next dog Aussie, Toller or another Stafford and I change my mind about once a week. :rofl: