Loose Lead Walking

kitty

Sounds like you are making progress, well done.

I don't to worried about a puppy jumping around at my side looking for treats, they tend to calm down as they age a little and figure out what you are after. If she is persistantly jumping up onto your leg that is a bit different though, you do need to do something about that!

it's like a bunny hop.... she tends to do it when she's not getting her way and she decides she feels like chewing on the lead (which she no longer does).

She just hops along for a little while, and i don't really want to encourage it. Ignoring the behaviour and turning and starting again (without stopping) seemed to limit that behaviour.

I am proud of us tonight, it was far from fantastic, but it was something. We walked in and out of her breaking point zone, and as time goes on we can further that distance. I think that one of the puzzle pieces i was missing before.

i think i'm on the right track, but only time and persistence will tell.... any other ideas or tips that worked for other dogs is still fantastic though! i'll take all the opinions and education i can get on this matter at the moment!

I actually really lilke working with a puppy that is doing little hops and bounces, especially if they are looking at me.

It is much harder to put the bounce and enthusiasm back in than it is to take it out!

I don't worry much about it and my dogs have all ended up really good, but nice and light in the fronts and very animated.

I would also add that you need to start in your backyard and she needs to be perfect in the backyard before you take her out on the street where it is all very distracting.

I think the OP said the LLW is perfect in the backyard and home?

yep, Shellectra - she does :)

well i found out this morning that we can't train molly out the front of the house, because it's 'common ground' - so i can't focus on the area where she gets hyper excited anymore :crossfingers: i'm only allowed to train in the backyard, or outside of the estate - so i don't know how that's going to assist me at all with introducing areas and distractions gradually :rofl:

we just went for a lazy walk though, and Molly actually settled down during the walk, and didn't pull per se.... she just explored, and we actually had a little bit of LLW - but i'm atrributing that to the heat, as opposed to her knowing what she is supposed to be doing :laugh:

practice and persistence makes perfect i guess :)

Hello Kitty,

Sounds like you are on the right track - you obviously know what you need to do and happily take advice so you'll have it together in no time. I am having the same problem with my min pin at obedience training (and home), but only half the time now instead of 100% of the time. Today he was actually jumping up a little bit next to me (which he never does) because I think he wanted me to protect him from the wind. I didn't correct him for that though, because as other people have said before, at least he was totally focused on me for a change!!! It was a nice change, in our case.

Good luck with it!

Deb :)

well i found out this morning that we can't train molly out the front of the house, because it's 'common ground' - so i can't focus on the area where she gets hyper excited anymore :( i'm only allowed to train in the backyard, or outside of the estate - so i don't know how that's going to assist me at all with introducing areas and distractions gradually :(

Huh? If it's 'common ground' why aren't you allowed to use it? You're not breaking any laws; you have your dog on a lead and are trying to teach her to behave nicely for godssake! I don't get it. I would be questioning whoever told you that...

well i found out this morning that we can't train molly out the front of the house, because it's 'common ground' - so i can't focus on the area where she gets hyper excited anymore :( i'm only allowed to train in the backyard, or outside of the estate - so i don't know how that's going to assist me at all with introducing areas and distractions gradually :(

Huh? If it's 'common ground' why aren't you allowed to use it? You're not breaking any laws; you have your dog on a lead and are trying to teach her to behave nicely for godssake! I don't get it. I would be questioning whoever told you that...

it was the property manager - we live in a gated estate. despite Molly being on lead and everything. Apparently kids are not allowed to play in the area out the front of the houses either. To be fair, we do have quite a large yard, but the backyard isn't exciting to Molly the same way that the front is!

The usual reason that the about turn doesn't work is because people don't do it quick enough. The puppy should really know that you have done it! You shouldn't be going in a circle, it should be a straight line. If you end up circling then you aren't turning sharp enough. You turn sharply and you GO, turn sharply and GO.

I don't agree with tug, tug, tugging either. If you are going to use any sort of correction collar then give a couple of really good corrections rather than nagging.

Being a bit "old school" in obedience, I get lost with clickers, haltis, trick collars and treats etc and learned to train with a leash, choker chain and my William Koehler book for bedtime reading................ :eek:, but I can say that dear old Bill (Koehler) taught me how to throw the leash away which was a big deal in my younger days having an obedient leashless dog :rofl: It's interesting the "about turn" with a "good correction" has been mentioned, failing having rotten tomatos thrown at you for "yank & crank" training methods, the thing is, it WORKS, and the harder the dog, the better it works :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

I've just trained my family's 3 year old lab to walk on a loose lead. I clicker train and have tried a few methods because no one else is willing to train the poor gal and she's put out the backs of the two people who walk her on several occasions (myself included and I'm only in my twenties!). I've also gone through countless expensive collars/halters and after two years of consistent training and trying to do what we're taught at obedience class, she'd only walk properly in the back yard.

I succeeded entirely by accident. I had Brodie walk in a small square and then each time she did it, expanded the space to another square. So we started with one concrete slab at the verandah and then just walked in squares and then rectangles, increasing the space every time she complied. After that, I expanded the space to include the driveway and the footpath in front of the house. I lost my clicker at the time so I just made sure to use praise and small treats (first regularly and then intermittently) and call out to her, exaggerating my footsteps really slowly and loudly before turning corners. I also chanted 'SLOWWWWWWWLY', in case she didn't get it ;). I changed direction and pace, zig zagged and was spontaneous in my actions to mix up the routine and encourage her focus on me.

After about 4-5 sessions before breakfast, she's now able to go for a walk without us having to pace the verandah and driveway first. This is an independent dog that refused to listen to anyone once she left the property and chased everything with her nose :rofl:. I don't know why it worked after everything else (I had tried incrementally increasing space as a reward at other places). Maybe it was mentally tasking for her. But whatever you do, it's really a matter of trial, error and a bit of creativity.

Best of luck, you're lucky you have a pup and the opportunity to avoid a few trips to the doctor, courtesy of an (im)mature adult dog! Loose lead walking is not an easy thing for some owners/dogs.

Edited by Ms Genki

get yourself a martingale collar or even a light check chain. Also have a nice long lead. Now from the sounds of it you are pandering more to her and not giving her an incentive to listen to you. She doesnt have to! Also the dog is to be hungry, no food that day at all and have some super tasty food in your pocket.

just start walking, if she doesnt follow give little sharp tugs on the leash and 'come come come come on pup pup pup' in a high pitched loud voice and she will follow. DO NOT STOP. biggest mistake is stopping, just keep walking, talking, tug tug tug until she catches up then when she does GOOD DOG *TREAT* and keep walking. If she looks at you keep praising the moment she doesnt, stop all praise. If she bolts ahead, do a 180 and same again, tug tug tug and keep moving. I dont want you to stop once. Keep it at a good pace, keep her interested and she will follow you in one small session. She obviously wants interest BUT you have to show her she has to work for it, you are providing everything too easily and there is no repercussion for her ignoring you. She's big enough now to behave and pay attention.

This works on dogs of all ages and I use this with many of my clients. You find you get a natural focus from the dog as it learns to think and treat you as the leader. It also learns it HAS to pay attention or it looses track of where you went and the chance for praise or a jackpot treat (I dont feed constantly I really do not believe in it for this, many dogs can get ill from rich food and romping about. Jackpots for great behavior and thats it)

Excellent post, totally agree on that method :rofl: