Puppy Not Wanting To Hang Out With Us

princesszelda

We have a split level house, and often watch tv upstairs a night time. Bella, our 11 week old Bernese seems much more comfortable hanging out by herself (and her toys) downstairs. This is particularly upsetting my husband, who was really looking forward to a cuddley dog. When she comes upstairs, she gets really hyper, won't settle and often pees. Any ideas what might be going on? :)

The stairs are fine - 5 regular tile stairs and then 3 regular carpeted stairs - she has no problem going up either set, but we don't like her going down the tiled ones by herself because she tends to jump and then bail.

The only difference is there is tile downstairs and carpet upstairs.

She is totally fine hanging out with us downstairs - lots of playing, but is able to settle herself too.

She doesn't act like she is scared of upstairs - she gets hyper, crazy and out-of-control in terms of biting and chewing things. If she was scared, I would have thought she would be a bit more cowering. I think the peeing is about her general level of craziness upstairs.

Has she been confined downstairs while house training was happening? Dogs don't generalise very well, perhaps she doesn't know how to behave in this whole new place? Has she been to other people's houses? How does she behave there? If she jumps then bails I would suspect the stairs do worry her a bit - any way you can tape down some cheap carpet over them for a while? Take her upstairs on leash and just sit with her for a while, then take her back downstairs. Don't expect her to do anything upstairs she hasn't already done downstairs. Feed her upstairs?

My pup likes to hang out downstairs too. He sees upstairs as a sleeping area, so he won't go upstairs unless it's bed time.

Downstairs is more entertaining for him, there is always someone in the living room to play with him, he can go in and out of the house easier, most of his toys are downstairs too, so is he food and water.

Maybe your pup is the same?

Edited by charleswentworth

She doesn't act like she is scared of upstairs - she gets hyper, crazy and out-of-control in terms of biting and chewing things. If she was scared, I would have thought she would be a bit more cowering.

The three basic responses to stress or anxiety that we normally see in dogs are:

1. Flight

2. Fight

3. Frolic

What you are seeing is "Frolic", which isn't always caused by stress or anxiety (sometimes it is caused by happiness), but can be caused by these.

it's just habit, she's excited and probably learned it now. I think she's just super happy, you guys get a bit riled up and she escalates.

put her on a leash and control her, give her a chewy treat or something and teach her that ALL inside is quiet time. Or pop a crate upstairs to teach her good habits.

hanging out on her own is normal ,when you come home you head upstairs to an area that isnt normal to her & the stairs are an area that most likely she has been discouraged to use & again she is following the rules.

Hubby also needs to make sure he isnt being oushy & the disappointment is something she is feeling & as such feels happier to be on her own than feel overwhelmed by the expectations he wants & she isnt meeting.

Dogs arent stupid & they generally wont gravitate to someone is disappointed in them .

Move the TV downstairs :rofl:

:thumbsup: Too sensible. :D

Can you keep the dog with you upstairs? The more the dog is with you , the more she will want to be with you and get more used to it. Hopefully the more she is with you, the less over excited she will be (unless she is a vizsla! :cry: ) She may have to learn how to behave with humans and you can help her by teaching her to be calm and have manners. Trainers are much better suited to this type of advice than me! :thumbsup:

Is there any way to put a kiddy gate at the stairs so she is with you where the TV is? It appears she may be in a habit of being downstairs and if you would like her with you, she needs to learn a new 'habit'.

Good luck, the other posts are excellent and very helpful and from people who know what they are doing. ;)

hanging out on her own is normal ,when you come home you head upstairs to an area that isnt normal to her & the stairs are an area that most likely she has been discouraged to use & again she is following the rules.

Hubby also needs to make sure he isnt being oushy & the disappointment is something she is feeling & as such feels happier to be on her own than feel overwhelmed by the expectations he wants & she isnt meeting.

Dogs arent stupid & they generally wont gravitate to someone is disappointed in them .

Totally agree with showdog...

...and no, can't imagine it's anything eletrical.

You don't want a Bernese puppy running or jumping down the stairs :rofl: Please teach her to go up and down slowly, if she has to at all. Personally I'd keep upstairs off limits (might limit some of the vaccuuming up there too in the months/years to come! :thumbsup: ) and spend time with her where she is more comfortable on the ground floor :rofl:

You don't want a Bernese puppy running or jumping down the stairs :rofl: Please teach her to go up and down slowly, if she has to at all. Personally I'd keep upstairs off limits (might limit some of the vaccuuming up there too in the months/years to come! :thumbsup: ) and spend time with her where she is more comfortable on the ground floor :rofl:

We are very careful with her - have baby gate at the top & the bottom of the stairs....