A What Age Did Your Dog First Compete

nickojoy

Just wondering what ages you have entered your dog in trials of any sort... i know the start age is 6 months and I know how hard it is to train a pup to get to that standard at that age.

What other things did you have problems with because of the age you started?

And how did you score?

My first BC was around 18 months when she entered her first Novice and under the old rules with 2 heel patterns she scored a 187 and was second in the ring. She pretty quickly got the remaining 2 legs towards her CD title and with an extra pass. She entered agility trials around the same age and got her JD title quickly but struggled with her AD and didn't have the skills necessary to compete in the higher classes.

My second BC is just about to hit 18 months and she is yet to trial in anything (ok I lie she has sat a herding instinct test :confused: ) and I am in no great rush to trial her. She has good foundations in both agility and obedience and hopefully should do well when she finally is 100% ready for the trial ring.

Edited by ness

The starting age for agility is 18 months, I did my first trial with Kaos when he was 26 months (so just over 2). It was my first trial too! We made normal novice mistakes, missed a couple of jumps, but he ran happy though he had too much focus on me.

Edit: it wasn't until the start of this year that we got any quallies, then got 3 in ADAC Novice Jumping fairly quickly, then developed a problem with running off. Have pretty much fixed that I think. Have only just started entering ANKC events recently, did really well at the last one, would have come first in our height if we hadn't missed a tunnel.

I haven't been game enough to enter Diesel in obedience :confused: he is now nearly 6.

Edited by Kavik

I think Ed was about 3 and he got 92 and second place, he then took 3 more trials to get 2 passes, and picked up another 2nd in ring

Molls was 3 1/2 (cos I had to get Eds 3 passes first) and she bombed out twice and then scored a 2nd in ring, then bombed another then won her ring twice and got her 2 last passes at state and nationals

Ed novice earlier in the year (4yo) he got 2 passes then bombed out 5 times and I have to enter something now to try to get his 3rd pass! :confused:

I probably could have entered them earlier, but I wasnt ready and why not wait and get some good scores, rather than get disheartened, the dogs arent in a hurry, and they arent going anywhere

With flyball, Molly started at about 3 yo, and she now has her 4th flyball title, Ed hasnt competed yet, but he still trains, and he is pretty much ready, but Id focussed on his obedience more. He doesnt know he isnt competing! He loves training!

Edited by shoemonster

I've started with dogs from 7 months to 7 years!! :laugh: My first trialing dog was about 18 months at his first obedience trial which was a disaster! We left obedience for a while and he had his first agility competition at just under 2 years old where he got his first Q and 3rd place (and hooked me for the sport). He got his AD quickly (before jumping and games were offered) and ventured back into the obedience ring at around 3 years old and got his CD in two weekends. Flynn went on to have a long and successful Agility career and a long and not so successful obedience career :thumbsup:

My 7 year old 'starter' was my Spinone who I got as a 5 year old. I didn't think we'd ever compete but after two years of training we entered the State Obedience Titles where she came second in Novice on the first day and bombed the next :confused: She only managed one other pass (with a score of 194!) before passing away at nearly 9.

Polo did his first Gundog Working Tests at 7 months old and picked up a 1st place. He started Obedience trialing at 10 months old and won the ring with 97 (went onto 3 more wins 93, 94 & 97 by 12 months old). He started Retreiving trials at about 11 months old and although not successful his first weekend was through Novice at 15 months old. At just under 2.5 years he now has his CDX and two Restricted Retrieving stakes wins. I hope to start trialing him in Agility early next year.

Although I started Polo very young, I would never have done so with my Vizslas and may never again with any other dog! He was ready, but many dogs aren't. It's not a race to title dogs, and I don't want to push any dog before they can handle competition.

Jazz entered herding at about 8 months. They can compete from 6 months onwards, she would have been about 8 months when the first test she was old enough to enter was held. As we don't get many herding events in Adelaide she was around 13 months completing her test levels (passed each time, even when I didn't think she would and only put her in so the breeder's friend who was judging could get a look at her.) I entered her in her first competitive trial class at around 20 months, missing 1 trial after completing her tests as I felt she was not ready. Again I put her in the trial so a friend of the breeders could have a look but with no real expectation of a pass but knowing that if she did pass she would pass well or it would fall to pieces - iut was never going to be inbewteen. Well she had 2 runs that weekend and won both with a 99 and a 98 out of 100 then completed the title at our next trial. She needs more training and maturity before moving up to the next stage though. She gained her title a week after turning 2. I am yet to start her on agility and only started her on obedience training this year, she is about ready for CCD after around 6 to 9 month's of semi serious training (I say semi serious as I expect a high level of work but don't train vey often).

Piper was a different kettle of fish - I started training her for obedience an agility the day she came home. By about 9 months I was asked to trial her in obedience and being scored 195 in the ring at training by a hard judge. I felt mentaqlly she was too young and may nto cope with the pressue as I get terribly nervous in the ring. In the end I entered her in her first trial when she was around 14 to 16 months and in reality not working as well as she had been and some what bored by it all. We had the best heel work scores of the ring but a so so stand for exam and shitty recall so ended up 3rd (or might have been 4th on a countback?) behind Ness :confused: Then we did a few trials and had little things go wrong and left it for ages (read several years!) and finally gained her CD when she was about 5, having gained her 2nd pass 2 years after her first and her 3rd 2 yesrs after that on no training since the previous pass!

Agility she started trialling in at 18 months and had some ba handler related problems while I learnt how to run a speed demon after my 2 plod around the course dogs and discovered that rough housing andd games outside the ring were NOT needed! She get either her JD or AD within a few trials and took about 12 months for the other entering a trial every month or so.

Herding Piper started in as soon as it was available to compete in over here, not sure her age exactly but she had been ready for about 2 years at that point in time.

I remember that trial at Gawler all too well Piper. It was Ness's first trial in ANYTHING and I had only entered to go along and keep a friend company. I do know our subsequent scores never matched our first effort in the ring.

To add to my tale we then took 4 years before we ever got around to entering CDX. Ness was 6 when she did her first CDX trial and in quick succession 3 trials later came away from an interstate trip to WA with three passes from three trials and her CDX title :confused: .

No wonder I am so attached to WA - it has done me well :laugh: .

Both my males were between 4-5 years when I started trialling them in agility. Neither were ready & both took a while to title in Novice.

Both my girls were just under 2 when I first trialled them.

Trim was totally ready & titled in Novice agility & jumping with consecutive 1st places. I think she had done about 5 trials before she ever got her first fault. She won a couple of Regional qualifying events & a National final in her first year of trialling :laugh: .

Shine was not at all ready (I entered her as kind of a dare), in fact I taught her half the obstacles the week of her first trial. She still managed to qualify with a 2nd place in her first trial :) . Then I got sensible & did some training before I entered her again. Realistically she was 2 1/2 before she really reached physical or mental maturity. She has been trialling 18 months now & is half way through her Masters titles. She is regularly running neck & neck with Trim for time right now & I don't think it'll be long before she starts to beat her consistently.

Edited by Vickie

Ed hasnt competed yet, but he still trains, and he is pretty much ready, but Id focussed on his obedience more. He doesnt know he isnt competing! He loves training!

He certainly does!

Ebons first flyball comp was just before his second b'day. I would have started him earlier but I was mistaken about what age he could start flyball.

Cole was about 8 months when he did his HIC and the did his PT and Started A Title by 15 months but he didn't get his B started till 20 months and his Inter A at 2 1/2.

In obedience I have only started 1 dog before 2 (under the old rules so no CCD) and that was a mistake as she wasn't mature enough.

I really think it depends on the maturity of the dog as well as how well they work. In obedience now with the CCD it is easier to start them a bit earlier now.

Edited by Janba

Hmm 16 months physically (mentally they are much much younger) seems to be the go with my guys in obedience - and it is usually a push to get them ready for some kind of BIG event like a Royal or the Western Classic. While they know all the foundations I have usually done very little proofing and stays are a case of cross your fingers and pray :laugh: that nothing happens.

With dog #6 now a work in progress, and still working full time, I think she should hit the ring by the time she is about......5 :laugh:

Agility - they are usually ready somewhere between 18 months and 2, but in Beans case - she has her masters titles but is the most unmasters dog out there with very little (translated meaning NO) skills at all :)

My first boy hit the obedience right at around 3 and the agility ring at aroudn 4/5 (only becuase it was a brand new sport in north qld at that time and wasn't offered before!).

My next girl hit the obedience ring at just over 1 and it took a year to do her CD title with LOTS OF bomb outs due to her not really being ready.

Next girl didn't go to the obedience ring until after she was 2 and then proceeded to knock off her CCD, CD and CDX titles in 10 straight trials (we have to do a novice sweepstakes here in QLD which accounts for the 10th trial) in about 5 months. She placed all 10 times and I think won the ring about 6 of those times. Next year we are aiming for UD and OC!! :laugh: She is now 3.5 and maybe will do agility once she has her OC so probably around 5!

I let the dog gauge when it's ready to trial these days, if we're not proofed then we don't enter. I could have rushed Ella but didn't want to make stupid mistakes so I took my time and really proofed her before trialling.

Fern got her encouragement at 1yo and her CD before she was 2yo. She passed all her trials and it only took the time it did because I only entered local trials! She is a great dog. Was very steady at that age.

Brock is 3yo and still lacks a bit of confidence. Not sure if it will ever arrive. Might do some NADAC agility soon with him.

Poppy got her HIC, HT & PT by about 18 months. She could have a good crack at started now but I would like to do it with some style so am waiting a bit. People have been hassling me for ages to do obedience with her but I don't think she is quite ready yet. It would be a bit of a fingers crossed affair. She has a bit of training to do yet with agility, I could probably run her around a course now and she might pass but again I like for the work to be solid.

Xena started Agility at just on 18 months, flyball at about 15 months and Frisbee somewhere in between those two. She has been great from the word go in all her worlds.

CK started flyball at 16 months in his first beginners comp and then joined the team at about 19 months. His first agility trail was at about 20 months and that was way too early, but it has taught him to have fun in the ring if nothing else! Just now at almost 3 years he is starting to go well.

He started frisbee at about 4 months - we try and start getting them in the ring as a puppy and throwing appropriately (rollers, nothing in the air) so they get used to the environment. The problem was he cracked his elbow at about the same time and then did nothing until he was just over 12 months..........

Can competing count in terms of Testing Day/Obedience Competition for a club?

My GSP Bella started competing at just 7 months old in Obedience and got 89 out of 100 for Beginners to Pink and passed and finished the entire course from Beginners 1 to 5 in a span of 2 months I think! Didn't take her very long to pick up everything from sit, stand, stays and recall.

Upon graduating to Pink, Bella went up to the Green Class in about 3 weeks after the testing day to my shock and everyone else's as well! I also realized that at this point, she had to start doing some off lead work!

At 9 1/2 months she completed her second Member's Testing day once again at Southern Obedience Dog Club, for the class Green to Yellow. Bella garnered a score of 147 out of 200 narrowly just won her class ahead of a British Bulldog (By 4 points)! However she did not pass her class, but she did bring home a trophy and sash for her effort and may I note that this is my first award via competing in dog's event!

I had previously trained before with a Whippet named Omo, but I never did well with her because the cold weather hindered her from working well and completing the task as required. I was told by someone that the GSP are one of those breed that could be a challenge to train and I've done very well and believes that I will not stay in the same class for very long (The next class up is when your dog must work with you off lead :p).

I will be trialling with Bella, and my target is in November, but it ultimately comes down to her heeling as it's a bit erratic and Bella is sometime just simply off with the fairies and it can be difficult to maintain her concentration, but I am going to try clicker training with Bella now to see if she will watch and pay attention to me (I've tried food and it didn't help as she wouldn't show interest and not respond quickly to my expectations).

Here is a photo of my little Bella with her Trophy and Sash upon winning her class!

img0360.th.jpg

I am also doing showing and obedience with a Miniature Pinscher named Clancy!

At 5 1/2 Months old, he got 70 out of 100 at his first Member's Testing day 2 weeks ago and passed out of Beginners Class after only 3 classes! In my honest opinion, I believe after his failed attempt to sit, and stay in the test, he should not have passed, but I've accepted it however I will not be putting him in the next class until I am satisfied that he can work well and be able to eventually sit automatically and do an excellent stays and recall.

He did a class in Beginners 3 last week, and he is slowly starting to start automatically sit with a light tap (Where before, I had to make him sit as he refused to do it and rather be picked up!). To my surprise, his stays were much better, but I need to work on going around him as he tend to follow me around as I go round! :)

I am also showing Clancy as well, and the day before the testing day he picked up Baby Puppy of Breed! So I am so proud of him!

My goal with Clancy is I am hoping I will have him titled in the show and I'd love to add some obedience titles next to his name! But I personally think Clancy will be a fantastic dog for Agility as he zooms around the house so far, he is ahead of you! With Bella, I'm going to start with CCD and then work my way up, but I may consider Agility next year as she seems to have a short attention span, so I am just pondering as to whether a fast sport may help get her to focus and be more attentive! :eek:

I am really looking forward to the future competition with both of my babies and 2 weeks ago was just starting and both of my babies absolutely love competing and working in regardless of what type of work it is!

Lomani first competed in agility at 22 months. We had a lot of people saying we should be trialling from when she was 18 months onwards but we didn't think she was ready. Her first trial was a games trial in which she got 2 quallies. Her first agility/jumping trial was a triple, in which she got all 3 novice jumping passes to get her JD title so I'd say she was ready then. :confused: I'm glad that we did wait that bit longer as we've found trialling to be very enjoyable with steady successes, and have watched a number of people coming through start trialling before they were ready and get very very frustrated with the whole process.

I guess every dog has different maturity and different rates of progression though. :)

Clover: About 3 years for both Flyball and Obedience.

Elvis: About 18 months in Flyball, maybe even a little bit older.

Tinny: She was 2 years old when she came home (very early january) and was competing in flyball by the November the same year, so 3 years.

Harri: About 2 years old i think for Flyball. It took a bit to get him going, but once he knew there was no turning back :confused:.