Rotti Drinking Excessively

Rottifan

Does anyone have any experience with this....

My Rotti is turning 9 next month. He has begun drinking water excessively - not just as it has become hot in the last week or so though so its given me reason for concern. He is eating, weeing, pooing and moving normally and is as happy as ever not appearing uncomfortable when he pees or at any other time. I am waiting for a day when I am home all day to only give him one water container so I can measure how much he actually consumes.....i dont want to do that when I am not home in case he knocks it over and needs water in the heat and I'm not there to fix the problem! I took a urine sample to the vet from the first stream of the morning and the results were that his urine was diluted. Blood test results wont be in until Tuesday (2 more sleepless nights to go). Diluted obviously as a result of drinking lots of water....but why? I've heard of dogs having diabetes but that seems to normally be diagnosed from urine tests from what I understand so mustn't be that. Cancer is what worries me....or is it some type of bladder infection or kidney issue? Just wanting to find out as much information as I can...hating the wait :+(

Excessive drinking & urinating can be caused by lots and lots of things, some quite normal and innocent (as in the examples Nekhbet has given you), some much nastier. Good on you for getting the blood tests done.

If you do want to measure the water he's drinking, I believe 20 - 70 ml/kg/24 hour period is considered to be the "normal" range for dogs and cats.

I've had 4 dogs that did this, 1 was diagnosed with Cushings Disease, 1 was kidney and the other 2 were not confirmed but thought to be Cushings - the tests on an old dog are pretty hard - extensive and very expensive so personally, as long as they are coping with life I wouldn't put another old dog through it again.

But it's also worth looking at whether or not you've changed diets because it can be something as simple as that.

I'm hoping in your case it is something minor that can be easily treated.

Thanks for the advice so far. He's on Hill Science Diet Active...has been for some time. I mix his dry with water too. He has a brisket bone or marrow bone once or twice a week - no changes with food at all.

The only other thing I have noticed, but I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid, is even when he hasnt eaten (eg first thing in the morning) when he's lying down his stomach bulges out a little bit or feels harder than I think it should. The Vet did a prod around and didnt feel any liver over-extension (?) but did suggest if the blood tests are not conclusive because of the stomach an ultrasound would be a good idea.

Money is no object when it comes to my boy, he's my life, my everything. I'd give up everything I have to improve his quality of life if I need to and do anything I can but his happiness and wellbeing is always my priority. I wont put him through anything purely for my own benefit or to keep him alive if the verdict is bad and his health deteriorates to that point but staying positive and keeping all fingers and toes crossed that its nothing horrible....

I hate waiting....

If you really do 'feel' that something is amiss, you might consider running a blood test to measure for thyroid levels. If you're going to do this, I wouldn't muck around with the tests that we have out here in Aussie land - especially as your dog is so young, our tests are not as thorough and not likely to pick up thyroid issue so early. Our tests here only show up if thyroid levels are abnormal once 70% of the thyroid tissue is destroyed ..... that's usually considerably later in the dog's life and is also when much of the typical and obvious symptoms (eg. lethargy; coat loss; etc) show up. So if you do go ahead with this, go through Dr. Jean Dodds in the USA. Organising it isn't that difficult - the worst of it for me was the FedEx paperwork (also required for customs purposes). Let me know if you want some help with where to start.

I believe Rotties are on the 'popular' list for thyroid conditions, so it might be worth thinking about.

I can't remember if thirst is a symptom of hypothyroidism (I need to refresh my memory by looking through Dr. Jean's notes on it) but I think it can be.

Edited by Erny

My Rotti is turning 9 next month. He has begun drinking water excessively - not just as it has become hot in the last week or so though so its given me reason for concern. He is eating, weeing, pooing and moving normally and is as happy as ever not appearing uncomfortable when he pees or at any other time. I am waiting for a day when I am home all day to only give him one water container so I can measure how much he actually consumes.....i dont want to do that when I am not home in case he knocks it over and needs water in the heat and I'm not there to fix the problem! I took a urine sample to the vet from the first stream of the morning and the results were that his urine was diluted. Blood test results wont be in until Tuesday (2 more sleepless nights to go). Diluted obviously as a result of drinking lots of water....but why? I've heard of dogs having diabetes but that seems to normally be diagnosed from urine tests from what I understand so mustn't be that. Cancer is what worries me....or is it some type of bladder infection or kidney issue? Just wanting to find out as much information as I can...hating the wait :+(

There is a different type of diabetes called "insipidus". It is no related to sugar metabolism but has to do with hormones that help dilute the urine.

Hope it's nothing at all, or something easily fixed or managed.

There is a different type of diabetes called "insipidus". It is no related to sugar metabolism but has to do with hormones that help dilute the urine.

Hope it's nothing at all, or something easily fixed or managed.

Wouldn't that come up in a urine test (assuming they test for the hormones at the same time?)

If you really do 'feel' that something is amiss, you might consider running a blood test to measure for thyroid levels. If you're going to do this, I wouldn't muck around with the tests that we have out here in Aussie land - especially as your dog is so young, our tests are not as thorough and not likely to pick up thyroid issue so early. Our tests here only show up if thyroid levels are abnormal once 70% of the thyroid tissue is destroyed ..... that's usually considerably later in the dog's life and is also when much of the typical and obvious symptoms (eg. lethargy; coat loss; etc) show up. So if you do go ahead with this, go through Dr. Jean Dodds in the USA. Organising it isn't that difficult - the worst of it for me was the FedEx paperwork (also required for customs purposes). Let me know if you want some help with where to start.

I believe Rotties are on the 'popular' list for thyroid conditions, so it might be worth thinking about.

I can't remember if thirst is a symptom of hypothyroidism (I need to refresh my memory by looking through Dr. Jean's notes on it) but I think it can be.

Polydipsia (drinking excessively) is not really a clinical sign of Hypothyroidism. The most common conditions causing polydipsia are Cushings disease, Addisons disease, renal disease, liver disease and diabetes. Diabetes insipidus (there are a few types of this disease) can also occur but is quite rare.

Cushings disease, renal disease, liver disease and diabetes will all show up on a blood test. If your vet suspects Cushings or Addisons disease based on the first screening blood test - they will probably recommend another blood test (Low dose dexamethasone supression test or ACTH stimulation test) to confirm the diagnosis.

Thanks so much for all of your comments.....the big day was yesterday.

Urine - diluted but all else inconclusive...

Blood tests included thyroid (and waiting to get a copy of the results to see what the exact results are/parameters to see if I should take it further eg USA, thanks alot, definitely the sort of person I am! and I'll be in touch if I need help with that) - all normal.

Vet suggested another test be done with blood sample being for pancreas....paid for that yesterday so possibly tomorrow for that one.

Apart from that I'm waiting for the next day that I'm home all day so I can reduce his water supply to one bucket and mark and measure exactly how much he's consuming. The vet said due to the results there is no need to proceed with an ultrasound of his abdomin.

I will be getting the results of all tests and asking another vet for a second opinion because you can never be too sure and learning along the way is always something to be gained if nothing else...then I can rest assured knowing I have always done everything I can all the time for my boy when its counted most.

All in all, good results though and I'm feeling fairly confident that I may have just spent alot of money to find out that my boy is just getting fat....but I'm ecstatic in this case if its just his tummy muscle relaxing. His weight is still the same and he's not overweight or anything.

Ah!

Blood tests included thyroid (and waiting to get a copy of the results to see what the exact results are/parameters to see if I should take it further eg USA, thanks alot, definitely the sort of person I am! and I'll be in touch if I need help with that) - all normal.

A bit OT and perhaps intended for clarity to anyone who reads - but the point is that our Aussie testing is likely to show "normal" in thyroid tests, especially IF thyroid was an issue but is in early stages. Aussie testing shows up when thyroid issues are more advanced. USA testing can reveal issues much earlier in the peace.

But I do hope that it's only a matter of your boy putting on too much weight without any medically based cause for it. If you are feeding too much (especially dry food) this will increase your boy's thirst.

Thanks for that info again. Keeping a close eye on him. He's on hills science diet active and weaning over to the j/d formula and due to him not being too active himself he's not on the full dosage for his weight. Last time I weighed him the scales said 52kg but this week they were 46kg so I'll guess halfway. To me he looks like he's put on weight but really its just the belly area - like a bloated tight feel even in the mornings when he eats once at day in the evening. The vets say his condition is good, not overweight, will aim to keep him that way and keep an eye on the scales and measure drinking to make a further assessment as time progresses.

All of your information has been tops and helped me get through this worrying time. Thanks so much and keep enjoying the ones you love as much as I do mine!

To me he looks like he's put on weight but really its just the belly area - like a bloated tight feel even in the mornings when he eats once at day in the evening.

I would seriously consider getting your dog tested for Cushings disease.

Weight gain around the abdominal region is another classical clinical sign, along with polydipsia.

Edited by Cavalier