Clipper Heating Up The Blade

giraffez

In the link I posted(#14) Colin recommends oiling every 10mins while using them.I also used to dip the ends of the blades in a mixture of 90% turps 10% oil while clipping and than re-oiling

Thanks, you don't find it an issue with changing blades and possibly have the clippers not aligned properly?

It is quite easy to change blades on the Wahl KM2 and they snap on very easily. As long as you place the blade on the tounge correctly and then snap the blade down (you will have to then run the clippers to get the blade on properly) they will line up fine. When I was clipping I had 4 or more blades (of each size I used) and changed them as often as required, sometimes very often on warmer days and used very regular applications of a cool spray. When finished you then need to clean them thoroughly, spray with lubricant and store in a dry clean area ready for next time.

I found The KM2 tended to heat up quicker in either speed setting than the older Wahl clippers that I used before them.

i'm not sure what the brand was I know I used to use a set of professional imported ones that a groomer lent me, and then there were the osters I used on cats and rabbits. I used the cooling spray when they got a warm and they lasted me up to half an hour without needing changing.

that wasnt gung ho matted hair trimming though, it was pretty light work compared to some things I have done and I used the speed that suited the job.

maybe because we used to sharpen the blades often? If I noticed blades were not sharp I used a fresh set.

Never burnt an animal :thumbsup:

I did have one massive massive job of a horribly matted alaskan malamute, that took HOURS! and came off as one huge matt. I went through 3 blades that day and quite a few breaks!

In the link I posted(#14) Colin recommends oiling every 10mins while using them.I also used to dip the ends of the blades in a mixture of 90% turps 10% oil while clipping and than re-oiling

Thanks, you don't find it an issue with changing blades and possibly have the clippers not aligned properly?

It is quite easy to change blades on the Wahl KM2 and they snap on very easily. As long as you place the blade on the tounge correctly and then snap the blade down (you will have to then run the clippers to get the blade on properly) they will line up fine. When I was clipping I had 4 or more blades (of each size I used) and changed them as often as required, sometimes very often on warmer days and used very regular applications of a cool spray. When finished you then need to clean them thoroughly, spray with lubricant and store in a dry clean area ready for next time.

I found The KM2 tended to heat up quicker in either speed setting than the older Wahl clippers that I used before them.

Thanks all for the clarifications.

Rommimum, the instructions on teh wahl clippers says that you have to leave the clipper running before you push the blade down into the lock position, wouldn't this be difficult as the blade as the inside white thing is moving. If the blade is getting hot, is it a sign that the clipper itself is overworking, so changing the actual blade won't really mean anything as the motor is still hot?

Rommimum, the instructions on teh wahl clippers says that you have to leave the clipper running before you push the blade down into the lock position, wouldn't this be difficult as the blade as the inside white thing is moving. If the blade is getting hot, is it a sign that the clipper itself is overworking, so changing the actual blade won't really mean anything as the motor is still hot?

The motor in a KM2 is a permanent magnet type an should not run hot. Most modern clippers use this system and they are designed for contiuous use. If the motor is running hot then I would take it to a warranty agent and have it checked.

they should not be heating to the point of discomfort after that long, are they warm or really really hot?

Did you lubricate properly before using them?

ETA did you brush the dog first and are you going against or with the hair?

Its actually more like 5 - 8mins when it becomes really hot

1) They do warm up quite a bit very quickly.... after a while it does get hot.

2) Yes - 3 drops of oil - i turn it on, place one drop on the right hand side, middle and on the left hand side. Let it run for a bit and then wipe with paper towel any excess. Is this correct?

3) Mostly going in the direction of the hair, minimal going against the hair (probably 10%)

I'm using a #10 blade.

Is alignment a problem with changing the blade, I've got a spare blade but i didn't want to change it because i am worried i may misalign it. So is it the motor in the clipper i have to worry about overheating or is it the blade itself?

You shouldn't be having a problem with just clipping one small puppy. It should all be clipped in a few minutes.

It could be your blades are to tight.

Mine are next to never oiled and don't warm up that fast.

No you do leave them running and they snap on quite easily. It sounds like they should break or something but they don't.

Are your clippers running hot or are the blades running hot? If you are not sure I would contact Wahl and ask their opinion/send them back for a check up.

Mine are next to never oiled and don't warm up that fast.

Same here,we never use all those oils & sprays.

We will disinfect blades if need be but the rest nope.

Full time groomer for 17 yrs & we change blades constantly with no probs

We can clip for 20 mins or more with the same blade & not hot at all.

It maybe the clippers we use Double K .

I would suggest taking the clippers to someone who can see them & now what there looking for