Clipper Heating Up The Blade

giraffez

What do you do when your clipper heats up? Do you have a spare blade to change so you don't have to wait till it cools down before you finish the clip?

Is it bad to continuously switch the blades.... would this cause the clipper to not align correctly?

they should not be heating to the point of discomfort after that long, are they warm or really really hot?

Did you lubricate properly before using them?

ETA did you brush the dog first and are you going against or with the hair?

Edited by Nekhbet

If you were using a 30 or 40 they would certainly heat up in that time - I also find they heat up faster in hot weather (or am I imagining it). As poodlefan said you need several blades so that you can change them. You need to feel your blades regularly to make sure they are not too hot or you may burn poochie!!! ouch!!!

how often does it heat up? if they are sharp and enough power they should not be heating up that fast

make sure they are oiled as well

10 -15 mins - brand new wahl km2

That's normal. Use the slow speed you will get longer out of them. You could switch blades (although I have read using a hot clipper isn't great for blades) or also fine yourself another pair of clippers and alternate them.

A good way to prevent it if you can afford it is get clipper vac. Groomers Friend in Ulladulla sell them and they are awesome. They keep the blade cool, keep the room tidy and stop things like fur getting in your skin, plus they really cut down on clippng time.

Im on the list for one for my salon and cant wait to get it!

A good way to prevent it if you can afford it is get clipper vac. Groomers Friend in Ulladulla sell them and they are awesome. They keep the blade cool, keep the room tidy and stop things like fur getting in your skin, plus they really cut down on clippng time.

Im on the list for one for my salon and cant wait to get it!

Clipper vacs are not for everybody as they are awkward to use as there is an additional vacuum hose attached to the clipper. They are also expensive at over $1000.

Changing blades is the cheapest alternative, and in the long run having extra blades will save you money as they will remain sharp for longer if they are frequently oiled and changed before getting too hot.

So it is a myth that using hot clippers ruins them and/or the blades themselves?

I've always wondered and tried where I can to err on the side of caution and swap clippers and blades rather than just blades. This is harder when the weather is hotter though.

I've tried the clipper vac systems and found them cumbersome. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to them. I have RSI in my clipping shoulder so try to use the lightest clippers possible.

So it is a myth that using hot clippers ruins them and/or the blades themselves?

I've always wondered and tried where I can to err on the side of caution and swap clippers and blades rather than just blades. This is harder when the weather is hotter though.

I've tried the clipper vac systems and found them cumbersome. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to them. I have RSI in my clipping shoulder so try to use the lightest clippers possible.

Temperature is the biggest enemy of anything electrical. Motors and insulation materials will break down over time and this will be accelerated if they are running hot. Blade temperature is not a problem and is in itself but the increase in temperature will evaporate the lubricant and this in turn will prematurely wear the blade.

they should not be heating to the point of discomfort after that long, are they warm or really really hot?

Did you lubricate properly before using them?

ETA did you brush the dog first and are you going against or with the hair?

Its actually more like 5 - 8mins when it becomes really hot

1) They do warm up quite a bit very quickly.... after a while it does get hot.

2) Yes - 3 drops of oil - i turn it on, place one drop on the right hand side, middle and on the left hand side. Let it run for a bit and then wipe with paper towel any excess. Is this correct?

3) Mostly going in the direction of the hair, minimal going against the hair (probably 10%)

I'm using a #10 blade.

Is alignment a problem with changing the blade, I've got a spare blade but i didn't want to change it because i am worried i may misalign it. So is it the motor in the clipper i have to worry about overheating or is it the blade itself?

Edited by giraffez

I used to use a clipper cooling spray when I clipped, spray, run a little if they were getting too dry and they didnt leave a residue on the coat either. They did get to the point where you had to change the blade when it overheated and I checked every couple of minutes on my wrist to make sure I never burned the animal (I did cats and rabbits as well) but the clippers themselves didnt need to stop under half an hour if the blades were sharp and they were not strained.

I would try some spray and a spare blade, make sure you oil them properly before storage, and make sure they are sharp enough. Sounds like a lack of lube but I'm just suggesting :D

I used to use a clipper cooling spray when I clipped, spray, run a little if they were getting too dry and they didnt leave a residue on the coat either. They did get to the point where you had to change the blade when it overheated and I checked every couple of minutes on my wrist to make sure I never burned the animal (I did cats and rabbits as well) but the clippers themselves didnt need to stop under half an hour if the blades were sharp and they were not strained.

I would try some spray and a spare blade, make sure you oil them properly before storage, and make sure they are sharp enough. Sounds like a lack of lube but I'm just suggesting ;)

I oil them just before clipping. Should I be doing them after instead?

Anyone else have a KM2 running on one speed that can give me an idea of how long before the blades heat up so i can compare?

Edited by giraffez

In the link I posted(#14) Colin recommends oiling every 10mins while using them.I also used to dip the ends of the blades in a mixture of 90% turps 10% oil while clipping and than re-oiling

Thanks, you don't find it an issue with changing blades and possibly have the clippers not aligned properly?

Anyone else have a KM2 running on one speed that can give me an idea of how long before the blades heat up so i can compare?

I've not ever had clippers last a half hour without getting hot. I am wondering what Nekhbet was using?

As previously said it depends on the weather and the blade, but around 15 minutes tops. I think what you are saying sounds normal.