Is Flash A Necessity

Ripley

Quick question for the experts. Do you need flash in the rainforest? I can take a tripod for still shots, but really don't want to use flash or buy a flashgun if I can help it as I never use flash and wouldn't know how to use a flashgun. I've never tried to take pics in very low light before, expecially pics of moving animals.

Nothing confirmed yet but I may need a macro too.

The fastest lens I have is the 50mm 1.8. All my other lenses are f/4. After ISO 800 my 30D shows too much noise.

Edited by Ripley

Quick question for the experts. Do you need flash in the rainforest? I can take a tripod for still shots, but really don't want to use flash or buy a flashgun if I can help it as I never use flash and wouldn't know how to use a flashgun. I've never tried to take pics in very low light before, expecially pics of moving animals.

Nothing confirmed yet but I may need a macro too.

The fastest lens I have is the 50mm 1.8. All my other lenses are f/4. After ISO 800 my 30D shows too much noise.

If it's low light and you're taking pictures of animals moving then you might find it frustrating without one.

(sorry I saw that you just said "experts")

Edited by Pointeeblab

Tis ok, pointeeblab. :laugh: Flash won't be allowed in some areas of the Nat park - was reading the brochure and it said nor will people with colds. I'm thinking I might have to get a DSLR that can handle high ISOs with no flash and I only heard Nikon to be like that. I can't have a full frame due to the reach I'll need. (Might be going to Borneo)

The 40D is fine on ISO 1200. My friend Alex tells me that there should be no noise on high ISO as long as the exposure is correct. I believe everything he tells me *smirk*.

What do you mean by reach? Borneo sounds wonderful!

Both Nikon and Canon have offerings that are very good at high ISOs. If you go Nikon you need to get the most recent bodies as it's only been the last 1-2 generations that have conquered the noise thing. If you go Canon and are happy at 800 you can go back quite a ways in models. Heck, even something like the 20D will handle ISO 1250-1600 as long as you nail the exposure; your 30D should be giving you those results, too. Not as clean as the newer 40D, but still pretty good.

The new 7D or a 40D would be great options in the Canon range.

Pointee...she means crop sensor. On the Canon XXXD and XXD range the crop is 1.6; on the 5D/5DII it's a full frame, no crop factor. IDIII is a 1.3 crop sensor. Basically a 100mm lens becomes a 160mm lens on a 1.6, a 130mm on a 1.3 and 100 true on a FF. So your longer lenses give you more "reach". That's totally oversimplified, of course, but you get the idea :laugh: