Adopting A 15wk Old Pup - How To Soften The Move?

beenie

Hi eveyone,

I've been lurking for a while, and now it's time to introduce myself and get some advice!

We're adopting/rehoming a gorgeous Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier girl, who'll be 15 weeks old when she arrives in 2 weeks time. We're really excited (well, the kids don't know yet, but you better believe they'll be beside themselves!) and can't wait for our little bundle of fluff to arrive.

I'm looking for any advice or suggestions on how to make Willow's move easier for her, and to help her 'fall in love' with us so as to minimise any anxiety she may feel. Willow has been with her current family since 8 weeks, but they've quickly realised that their lifestyle/ home are not compatible with the needs of a puppy. They work a lot, only have small courtyard, and at the moment have left their little girl at home with a dogsitter for 2 weeks while they go skiing in NZ :) Sad, but at least they've realised it early and have made sure she's going to be looked after (by us!) From what I can tell she's a 'good' little girl with no big behaviour problems, the family love her to bits, but just don't have time.

Given that she's had a bit of a disjointed start, and that she's now going to be leaving what she knows and starting over again here, I'm really keen to do this right and help her settle quickly.

I've booked in for private training sessions wiht the Gentle Modern School of Dog Training and will go on with further training at Kintala, am reading David Westons books, and Ian Dunbar (who I discovered thanks to DOL) so I feel (hope!) that we'll be on track there.

So, give me your tips for the first few days to help Willow feel at home. There'll be lots of love and hugs to be had, but I'm sure there are a few good ideas out there!

Cheers,

Beenie

Have a routine set out before she arrives so that she has good structure from the very beginning.

Make decisions on what you'll allow and what you'll discourage and ensure everyone in the home makes training consistent.

Have somewhere safe and warm for her to sleep at night (perhaps crate train?)

How old are your kids? If they are under about 10 I'd put a flat prohibition on them picking up the pup. Far too easy to drop her.

Resist the temptation to overwhelm her with affection. Gentle pats rather than hugs shoud be encouraged. Establish a place where the kids are to leave her alone (a crate is ideal) and as, recommended routines.

Pups need to sleep alot. Make sure she gets plenty of undisturbed time to do that.

Edited by poodlefan

I would suggest you talk to the kids about this now. This gives them time to learn the rules you are going to set and time to calm down a little about the new arrival. Telling the kids just when the dog is due to arrive will only lead to overexcited kids and a stressed out pup.

Thanks for those replies.

She has a crate, which will be coming with her, so I'll definately make sure that's her own quiet place - good suggestion, thanks! No kids allowed to bother her while she's there! My two kids are 2yo and 5.5yrs, so you're right, certainly no picking the puppy up. I've been subltly doing lots of 'gentle play' activities with my 2yo .... remains to be seen how well she understands the 'no hugging the puppy rule' but I'll certainly try!

Would you recommmend that I limit visitors (with their own kids) in the first week, or have a few friends drop around each day or so? We usually have 1 or2 playdates with kids here each week, so it's something she'll have to get used to sometime??? All the kids have dogs of their own so 'should' be reasonably ok...not totally freaking out iykwim, but still excited by the new puppy.

Thanks for those replies.

She has a crate, which will be coming with her, so I'll definately make sure that's her own quiet place - good suggestion, thanks! No kids allowed to bother her while she's there! My two kids are 2yo and 5.5yrs, so you're right, certainly no picking the puppy up. I've been subltly doing lots of 'gentle play' activities with my 2yo .... remains to be seen how well she understands the 'no hugging the puppy rule' but I'll certainly try!

Would you recommmend that I limit visitors (with their own kids) in the first week, or have a few friends drop around each day or so? We usually have 1 or2 playdates with kids here each week, so it's something she'll have to get used to sometime??? All the kids have dogs of their own so 'should' be reasonably ok...not totally freaking out iykwim, but still excited by the new puppy.

I would add a puppy pen around the your crate so that the kids cannot physically reach the puppy when she's put away for sleeping. I would also accustom puppy to spending time outside on her own when you cannot supervise your children with her.

Kids learn pretty quickly that if they don't play with the puppy as you request, puppy goes away and they don't play at all. You only get one chance to raise a pup that's fine with kids so you have to be very careful that puppy is not hurt or overfaced by excited youngsters. You'll probably find its the kids who need rescuing at times though - mouthing puppies can be very full on. :(

Visitors are fine but if you cannot supervise the pup personally, put her away. Parents who tell you their kids are fine with dogs may smile indulgently while the pup is dragged around and half strangled so I'd err on the side of caution. Kids that are fine with their family dog may be less so with yours.

so you're a geelong person :thumbsup: if you need a hand with anything PM me

The most important thing is to create a routine from the moment the puppy comes home. Set the rules from day dot and stick to them.

Ignore sooking, whining etc yes the pup may be a little stressed but pandering to stress, especially in terriers, will be your undoing later on

nip any biting/nipping in the bud immediately

always supervise interaction with the kids. I would let them know NOW and set the ground rules with them (no razzing up the dog, no rough play, teach them how to ignore the pup if it gets nippy or too excitable, what toys and games are OK, crate time is quiet time etc)

get the dog used to being touched and groomed a little every day. having its ears, eyes, feet touched, mouth opened, still for brushing etc

If visitors pop around that is fine, limit exposure in the first couple of weeks, even maybe put the pup in its crate with a bone to chew as multiple children can be very very exciting to a new puppy so a little play then quiet time.

hi, and congrates on Willow. (pic please :crossfingers: )

everything the other said...

I just want to add, the first day pup comes.. just give her some space so she can look and sniff around, and let her settle down. wait till she goes to you... fight the urge to always pat her, cuddle her etc. especially with the kiddies, who will be very excited to get a puppy.

good luck :welcome:

Thanks again!

I think the idea of a playpen is great, that extra buffer zone will be essential with my 2yo lol. I have a wooden childs playpen which we used for our kids...would this suffice for a puppy or will the bars be too far apart... would the pup chew it do you think?? I've seen threads here about Bunnings compost bin/pens, would that be better?

HI Nehkbet, sorry, we're in Greensborough.... not quite local to Geelong :thumbsup: but thanks for the offer anyway!

I would love to post a pic....just gotta remember how! The only one I have is now a few weeks old... she's growing up fast!

Beenie

I would also suggest that you contact her breeder (if previous owners have those details) to let them know where the puppy they bred is now residing and so that you also have someone to contact if you need any help with her.

She looks lovely and sounds like she will have a great time with your family.

Thanks wire, she's a cutie alright! I hear you on the grooming....it's going to be big job!

Shelby, the breeder is the one who contacted us re: rehoming her. We were on his puppy waiting list, and when she came up for adoption, he contacted us :D

Only 12 more sleeps till she arrives!! Woohoo!