Aquadent?

ktn

Has anyone here used aquadent? I've read about the toxicity of its main ingredient xylitol to dogs, but others claim that the concentration is very little to cause harm. Has anyone had issues with it at the dosage instructed by the product?

thanks,

Kat

Taken from Wikipedia

Dogs that have ingested foods containing high levels of xylitol (greater than 100 milligram of xylitol consumed per kilogram of bodyweight) have presented with low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) which can be life-threatening.[27] Low blood sugar can result in a loss of coordination, depression, collapse and seizures in as soon as 30 minutes.[28][29] Intake of very high doses of xylitol (greater than 500 - 1000 mg/kg bwt) has also been implicated in liver failure in dogs, which can be fatal.[30] These are points of controversy, however, as earlier World Health Organization studies using much higher doses on dogs for long periods showed no ill effect. [31]

The ingredients in AquaDent are listed as follows: Purified water, Glycerine, Xylitol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium sorbate, Emilgase (enzyme), Zinc gluconate, Sodium benzoate, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Yellow No. 5, Chlorhexidine gluconate.

So perhaps check how much is ratio of Xylitol to the volume the bottles are sold in. That would be something the manufacturing company could answer I would hope...

Edited by shmoo

you need 10 mls of aquadent to every litre of water ... considering I use a 60L bucket for my lot it would cost me a fortune :crossfingers:

It also contains FD&C blue no 1 and yellow no 5 as colouring agents

http://www.virbacvet.com/images/resources/...t%2020MAR09.pdf

this is the MSDS for it. I wont use it at all. I cannot find the amount of Xylitol in it, could be on the label but I cant find it

"Based on published studies of xylitol toxicity in

dogs and the APCC’s (Animal Poison Control Center)

experience, proper use of this product (according

to label directions) should not present a risk of

hypoglycemia in dogs. In addition, no significant

hepatic toxicity would be expected either."

Eric K. Dunayer, MS, VMD, DABT; Risk Assessment of Xylitol in Dogs and Cats, APCC-2006

this is on their flyer

I don't have time to research it but I have used this on one of my fosters with a gum injury to prevent infection and it worked a treat.

I didn't use it as a permanent water additive though, I actually flushed his mouth (some was swallowed each time) with the solution prepared as directed after every feed to dislodge food and keep the area as clean (which could not easily be stitched) as possible. With a combination of meds and this, his gum healed nicely without stitches.

No side effects or issues of note.

Toxicity is a relative term. Most substances either natural or man made are toxic, it is just the dose that matters. If used as directed, then there should be no real cause for concern.

I wouldn't just permanently add it to a dogs drinking water unless directed to for a particular reason by your vet. We don't permanently drink diluted mouthwash either.

Edited by Just Andrea

I wouldn't just permanently add it to a dogs drinking water unless directed to for a particular reason by your vet. We don't permanently drink diluted mouthwash either.

That is what it's meant to be - a daily thing for the life of the dog to prevent plaque build up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I don't want to take the chances as I have an older dog who's prone to bad teeth. She also bites so I need to try something else as well as our risky teeth brushing sessions.

I think we will stick to the more mechanical methods (diet, brushing, etc) for now. Or find an alternative to aquadent - it sounds like it works to prevent plaque buildup, except for the xylitol bit :\