Mystery Ear Problem

Pointeelab, you have made me very angry - it brings back the death of the Italian Greyhound I adopted 2 weeks ago.

He went to 2 different breeders' houses and lived with each for a while, NEITHER of them took him to the vet and yet BOTH knew that he had at least 2 out of the 3 agonising health issues he suffered (rotten teeth and dislocating shoulder were two of them).

Do you love this dog?

Sometimes people's egos get in the way :shrug:

I'm kinda concerned aboout the dog as well after seeing the advice of a different vets - but I think at the end of the day Pointeelab may well have taken the dog to a vet but perhaps pride would prevent her from posting that here.

They do say a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

Pointeelab, you have made me very angry - it brings back the death of the Italian Greyhound I adopted 2 weeks ago.

He went to 2 different breeders' houses and lived with each for a while, NEITHER of them took him to the vet and yet BOTH knew that he had at least 2 out of the 3 agonising health issues he suffered (rotten teeth and dislocating shoulder were two of them).

Do you love this dog?

Dogmad this has nothing to do with your case and the apparent neglect of that dog you rescued. You can get as angry as you like but it's ridiculously misdirected.

I have had communication with a vet and the dog is being treated according to that person. Nothing to do with pride - I posted the thread to ask what might have caused the problem and got landed with opinions (fair enough with a public forum). I monitored the situation as I said I was and acted accordingly. I am not obligated to satisfy the general DOL public with information here. There is far to much of a culture here willing to point the finger and scream neglect. Save your energy for the real cases people.

I would never apply a pressure bandage to a dogs ear!

What's the difference between a pressure dressing and a pressure bandage? I have my own ideas (eg. to me a pressure dressing would be one of those that I described - actually, Rappie described it better - being a Vet, she can :) - but I mean the type where the dressing/bandage is on both sides of the ear flap and the ear is sutured to resemble a quilt. Whereas a bandage to me is something that wraps around something) but I'm not sure that everyone reading would be on the same page, nor whether I am right.

Pressure can be applied to an ear without a bandage - my OH operates on human ears a lot and, although sometimes he does stitch through to hold a dressing on there are ways and means of applying flat pressure against the ear flap.

A haematoma is a "tumour of blood" so by definition, even if the problem is caused initially by a breaking blood vessel, if the pocket is full of lightly blood stained serous fluid then it isn't a haematoma. I realise that vets refer to it as such, but by definiton it actually isn't.

Anyway, Boney is doing fine and having an experimental/new treatment.

A haematoma is not a tumour of blood! It is simply blood outside of a blood vessel. As I stated in my previous post - the lightly blood stained fluid is what is

left over after the blood forming the haematoma has clotted. There would be a big clot left in the ear (this is surgically removed when vets perform the surgery)

What you are doing is not an "experiemental" treatment. It has been tried by vets many times before and has a very low success rate. This is why we perform

the surgery.

Ummm what do you know about the new/experimental treatment that is being carried out? I haven't discussed it. It is something that is now being done in place of surgery which gives a better result if successful.

HAEM = blood and TOMA = tumour. Do vet nurses do medical terminology these days?

Rough Latin translation. A haematoma, strictly speaking, to qualify, must be blood filled. There is no way in human medicine that this space filled with serous fluid would be called a haematoma.

I am not a vet nurse - I am a qualified veterinary surgeon with many years experience.

Call it what you will. Your dog has a haematoma and needs to see a vet.

Yes... a "blood collection" that doesn't contain blood. :shrug: :D

I would never apply a pressure bandage to a dogs ear!

What's the difference between a pressure dressing and a pressure bandage? I have my own ideas (eg. to me a pressure dressing would be one of those that I described - actually, Rappie described it better - being a Vet, she can :thumbsup: - but I mean the type where the dressing/bandage is on both sides of the ear flap and the ear is sutured to resemble a quilt. Whereas a bandage to me is something that wraps around something) but I'm not sure that everyone reading would be on the same page, nor whether I am right.

Pressure can be applied to an ear without a bandage - my OH operates on human ears a lot and, although sometimes he does stitch through to hold a dressing on there are ways and means of applying flat pressure against the ear flap.

A haematoma is a "tumour of blood" so by definition, even if the problem is caused initially by a breaking blood vessel, if the pocket is full of lightly blood stained serous fluid then it isn't a haematoma. I realise that vets refer to it as such, but by definiton it actually isn't.

Anyway, Boney is doing fine and having an experimental/new treatment.

A haematoma is not a tumour of blood! It is simply blood outside of a blood vessel. As I stated in my previous post - the lightly blood stained fluid is what is

left over after the blood forming the haematoma has clotted. There would be a big clot left in the ear (this is surgically removed when vets perform the surgery)

What you are doing is not an "experiemental" treatment. It has been tried by vets many times before and has a very low success rate. This is why we perform

the surgery.

Ummm what do you know about the new/experimental treatment that is being carried out? I haven't discussed it. It is something that is now being done in place of surgery which gives a better result if successful.

HAEM = blood and TOMA = tumour. Do vet nurses do medical terminology these days?

Rough Latin translation. A haematoma, strictly speaking, to qualify, must be blood filled. There is no way in human medicine that this space filled with serous fluid would be called a haematoma.

I am not a vet nurse - I am a qualified veterinary surgeon with many years experience.

Call it what you will. Your dog has a haematoma and needs to see a vet.

Yes... a "blood collection" that doesn't contain blood. :thumbsup::o

*Sigh*

You are showing a complete lack of medical knowledge. Im not going to repeat myself yet again.

Good luck.

Vets still do. A haematoma isn't a tumour, sorry. In veterinary medicine, a tumour is a swelling caused by abnormal growth of cells. Whereas a haematoma is a collection of blood outside blood vessels. Even though yes, the suffix -oma generally does denote a tumour (or more accurately, it generally denotes a benign tumour derived from non glandular epithelium), this is an exception.

Whether or not it's still strictly accurate to call a collection of serum from clotted blood a haematoma, I'm not sure.

Vets still do. A haematoma isn't a tumour, sorry. In veterinary medicine, a tumour is a swelling caused by abnormal growth of cells. Whereas a haematoma is a collection of blood outside blood vessels. Even though yes, the suffix -oma generally does denote a tumour (or more accurately, it generally denotes a benign tumour derived from non glandular epithelium), this is an exception.

Whether or not it's still strictly accurate to call a collection of serum from clotted blood a haematoma, I'm not sure.

I was translating the Latin - I do realise that a collection of fluid is not usually referred to as a tumour. That is why I used inverted commas when I said "tumour of blood". Because it was a translation of the word. No need to apologise.

Cavalier, stating that a haematoma must be full of blood to qualify as one is not displaying any lack of medical knowledge at all. In fact, it is showing a true (however pedantic) understanding of the terminology. There may be a small clot present, however the swelling is comprised of lightly stained serous fluid (taking about 3 drops of blood to make it a strawberry colour).

The suffix -oma does mean tumour, but tumour (at a very basic level and in Latin) means swelling. Remember the four cardinal signs of inflammtion? Calor, dolor, rubor and tumor? Heat, pain, redness and swelling.

True, most of the time tumour is used as a synonym for neoplasm but it is not necessarily so. Thus haematoma = blood swelling. Lets not forget that a bruise is an injury resulting in a haematoma, which does not require an underlying or neoplastic cause (other than the injury itself).

From Stedman's:

Haematoma - a localised mass of extravasated blood that is relatively or completely confined within an organ or tissue, a space, or a potential space; the blood is usually clotted (or partly clotted), and depending on how long it has been there, may manifest various degrees of organisation and decolourisation.

The suffix -oma does mean tumour, but tumour (at a very basic level and in Latin) means swelling. Remember the four cardinal signs of inflammtion? Calor, dolor, rubor and tumor? Heat, pain, redness and swelling.

True, most of the time tumour is used as a synonym for neoplasm but it is not necessarily so. Thus haematoma = blood swelling. Lets not forget that a bruise is an injury resulting in a haematoma, which does not require an underlying or neoplastic cause (other than the injury itself).

From Stedman's:

Haematoma - a localised mass of extravasated blood that is relatively or completely confined within an organ or tissue, a space, or a potential space; the blood is usually clotted (or partly clotted), and depending on how long it has been there, may manifest various degrees of organisation and decolourisation.

Cheers Rappie.

Any ideas? Anybody had this problem before?

Hoping Mr T is feeling much better now :laugh:

I've seen them caused by a hard knock (you know, doing zoomies and running fair into something)...

He had been doing some zoomies lately with the pointer pup... they sure play some silly games! He seems to be okay within himself. Besides the bucket factor he is quite cheerful and active. I'm sure he'll be glad to get it off soon though!

Any ideas? Anybody had this problem before?

Hoping Mr T is feeling much better now ;)

I've seen them caused by a hard knock (you know, doing zoomies and running fair into something)...

He had been doing some zoomies lately with the pointer pup... they sure play some silly games! He seems to be okay within himself. Besides the bucket factor he is quite cheerful and active. I'm sure he'll be glad to get it off soon though!

Could have easily been Pointee rammed into something and that may have caused it...

No doubt he'll be glad ot get the bucket off :laugh: