Mystery Ear Problem

This afternoon I noticed that T bone's ear flap was fat with a large, firm, fluidy mass. Assuming it was a haematoma, OH and I make a small incision to drain it. The fluid that spurted out with great force was, however, not blood but blood stained serous fluid.

There was no marks to be seen on the ear, it was obviously a little tender to touch but it wasn't bothering him greatly. I hadn't noticed a lot of head shaking. Any ideas? Anybody had this problem before?

He is now all sad in a crate with a pressure dressing and an e collar. Poor Boney. :laugh:

Edited by Pointeeblab

This afternoon I noticed that T bone's ear flap was fat with a large, firm, fluidy mass. Assuming it was a haematoma, OH and I make a small incision to drain it. The fluid that spurted out with great force was, however, not blood but blood stained serous fluid.

There was no marks to be seen on the ear, it was obviously a little tender to touch but it wasn't bothering him greatly. I hadn't noticed a lot of head shaking. Any ideas? Anybody had this problem before?

He is now all sad in a crate with a pressure dressing and an e collar. Poor Boney. :worship:

That is still an aural haematoma :rofl: The fluid that comes out of haematomas is called serosanguinous, as the bloods clots very quickly so unless you catch it within 5 mins or so you will not see fresh blood.

Unless surgery is performed on the ear it will shrivel up into a horrible looking cauliflower ear :)

My Weim had 2 HUGE fat ears yeterday but i also seen little lumps on his head. i gave him antihistamine and rang vet who said to come in in morning. this morning they were HUGE.

went to vet and he said that it wasnt hematoma and was Edema(fluid in his ears) from a allergies coursed by bee bite.

he is on Amoxil for his high temp and Macrolone and his ears are already 50% better and he is much happier i have been rubbing them and keeping him crated.

PointeeLab

My dog once had an awful mass on her ear, vet drained and we had antibiotics just in case of infection. The other option they would use was a multiple incision op where the ear was cut and pierced many times to relieve the mass if the first aspirations were not working, or refilling.

Only my opinion but I would get a check to see if there is any underlying ear infection just to be on the safe side and avoid any Cauli ear from any unusual nasties.

Good Luck

J

He is now all sad in a crate with a pressure dressing and an e collar. Poor Boney. :worship:

He is now all sad in a crate with a pressure dressing ...

The only experience I have had was where my Dad's dog developed a haematoma and once it was lanced it was necessary for the pressure bandage to be stitched through the ear in places so that the skin would re-attach where it had been separated by the fluid. So I'm just curious as to how you apply a pressure dressing any other way that would be sufficient/efficient?

Sorry, I can't help you with your query but I do hope that Boney is ok. Me? I don't think I could even bring myself to attempt any form of lancing (I failed miserably in biology when we had to do the dissection of dead rats :worship: - the initial skin cutting is the only part of medical shows I can't watch) and I'd be worried about doing the wrong thing and/or not doing enough - I'd have to take my dog to the Vet.

Edited by Erny

So you are not taking him to a vet????

I just collected a dog that had been rehomed a year ago and was being returned and one of his ears was tiny and shrivelled, not a good look but I can only imagine the pain he had gone through ....

Unless you yourself are a vet, then I would say your dog needs to go urgently, no question.

Having just euthanased a rescued IG that had been through 5 homes in 2 months but not been taken to a vet for his rotten teeth (every one of them), his dislocating shoulder/swollen leg and when I got him not only was he in agony but it was too late for him, I would say I'm super-sensitive about people not taking dogs to vets when they need to go.

So you are not taking him to a vet????

I just collected a dog that had been rehomed a year ago and was being returned and one of his ears was tiny and shrivelled, not a good look but I can only imagine the pain he had gone through ....

Unless you yourself are a vet, then I would say your dog needs to go urgently, no question.

There is no infection - and he doesn't need a vet at this stage. Nothing urgent about it.

A pressure dressing was applied by my ingenious OH - it seemed to do the trick. At this stage it won't recollect because it's still draining. Erny my OH and I have cut up many people in our time and there's really not much you can do wrong when there is a tight balloon of skin created by fluid - it just requires a little nick in the skin. Before the flaming starts, I'm not in any way recommending that people do procedures on their pets.

Weiz - I have seen oedema of the ears due to allergic reactions and this was definitely not the case. It was about 10ml of fluid sitting all in one spot on one ear. I'm just curious to know what caused it.

That is still an aural haematoma :rofl: The fluid that comes out of haematomas is called serosanguinous, as the bloods clots very quickly so unless you catch it within 5 mins or so you will not see fresh blood.

Unless surgery is performed on the ear it will shrivel up into a horrible looking cauliflower ear :)

Yes - surgery was performed on the ear. It wasn't a haematoma as it contained lightly pink stained fluid and not blood. I have seen a few hundred in my time and this wasn't one of them.

Then its a seroma (which would be unusual) or a haematoma with a consolidated clot (serosanguinous fluid).

Draining a fluid pocket in the ear is frequently unsuccessful as the pocket remains and often refills, it is a good way to get a cauliflower ear. It usually requires full thickness sutures applied to most of the ear flap to get re-adherence, quickest resolution and cosmetic result. I would use a pressure dressing with caution as it needs to be left on for a long period of time to maintain pressure and is an excellent way of creating an ear infection. Similarly, tiny holes in large pockets with dead space make me concerned about infection.

The fluid had to come from somewhere and usually takes a reasonable amount of pressure to separate skin on the ventral surface of the ear from the auricular cartilage. The most common cause is damage to one of the three main auricular vessels and these can take a while to heal as they are fragile after damage.

My recommendation is a vet visit.

Edited by Rappie

One of mine has a haematoma, last Tuesday she was sedated and they drained it. Placed her on a mixure of tablets to try and stop the bleeding. Last night we were back at the vet to drain it again, but this time, they did it whist she was awake. they drained blood out this time, the first time it was more of a clear fluid.

I would recommend taking her to the vet to get some tablets to help with the clotting. The blood vessel may not heal without the tablets.

Then its a seroma (which would be unusual) or a haematoma with a consolidated clot (serosanguinous fluid).

Draining a fluid pocket in the ear is frequently unsuccessful as the pocket remains and often refills, it is a good way to get a cauliflower ear. It usually requires full thickness sutures applied to most of the ear flap to get re-adherence, quickest resolution and cosmetic result. I would use a pressure dressing with caution as it needs to be left on for a long period of time to maintain pressure and is an excellent way of creating an ear infection. Similarly, tiny holes in large pockets with dead space make me concerned about infection.

The fluid had to come from somewhere and usually takes a reasonable amount of pressure to separate skin on the ventral surface of the ear from the auricular cartilage. The most common cause is damage to one of the three main auricular vessels and these can take a while to heal as they are fragile after damage.

My recommendation is a vet visit.

Thanks Rappie - we will certainly keep an eye on it. :worship:

I would never apply a pressure bandage to a dogs ear!

What's the difference between a pressure dressing and a pressure bandage? I have my own ideas (eg. to me a pressure dressing would be one of those that I described - actually, Rappie described it better - being a Vet, she can :) - but I mean the type where the dressing/bandage is on both sides of the ear flap and the ear is sutured to resemble a quilt. Whereas a bandage to me is something that wraps around something) but I'm not sure that everyone reading would be on the same page, nor whether I am right.

He is now all sad in a crate with a pressure dressing and an e collar. Poor Boney. :)

That is still an aural haematoma :eek: The fluid that comes out of haematomas is called serosanguinous, as the bloods clots very quickly so unless you catch it within 5 mins or so you will not see fresh blood.

Unless surgery is performed on the ear it will shrivel up into a horrible looking cauliflower ear :eek:

Yes - surgery was performed on the ear. It wasn't a haematoma as it contained lightly pink stained fluid and not blood. I have seen a few hundred in my time and this wasn't one of them.

The lightly pink stained fluid is the serum left over after the blood clots. The blood clot would still be inside the skin. What you are describing is a haematoma

and without the surgery as Rappie described your dog will end up with a horrible looking cauliflower ear. Please take your dog to a vet :eek:

What's the difference between a pressure dressing and a pressure bandage? I have my own ideas (eg. to me a pressure dressing would be one of those that I described - actually, Rappie described it better - being a Vet, she can :) - but I mean the type where the dressing/bandage is on both sides of the ear flap and the ear is sutured to resemble a quilt. Whereas a bandage to me is something that wraps around something) but I'm not sure that everyone reading would be on the same page, nor whether I am right.

Pressure can be applied to an ear without a bandage - my OH operates on human ears a lot and, although sometimes he does stitch through to hold a dressing on there are ways and means of applying flat pressure against the ear flap.

A haematoma is a "tumour of blood" so by definition, even if the problem is caused initially by a breaking blood vessel, if the pocket is full of lightly blood stained serous fluid then it isn't a haematoma. I realise that vets refer to it as such, but by definiton it actually isn't.

Anyway, Boney is doing fine and having an experimental/new treatment.

What's the difference between a pressure dressing and a pressure bandage? I have my own ideas (eg. to me a pressure dressing would be one of those that I described - actually, Rappie described it better - being a Vet, she can :laugh: - but I mean the type where the dressing/bandage is on both sides of the ear flap and the ear is sutured to resemble a quilt. Whereas a bandage to me is something that wraps around something) but I'm not sure that everyone reading would be on the same page, nor whether I am right.

Pressure can be applied to an ear without a bandage - my OH operates on human ears a lot and, although sometimes he does stitch through to hold a dressing on there are ways and means of applying flat pressure against the ear flap.

A haematoma is a "tumour of blood" so by definition, even if the problem is caused initially by a breaking blood vessel, if the pocket is full of lightly blood stained serous fluid then it isn't a haematoma. I realise that vets refer to it as such, but by definiton it actually isn't.

A haematoma is not a tumour of blood! It is simply blood outside of a blood vessel. As I stated in my previous post - the lightly blood stained fluid is what is

left over after the blood forming the haematoma has clotted. There would be a big clot left in the ear (this is surgically removed when vets perform the surgery)

What you are doing is not an "experiemental" treatment. It has been tried by vets many times before and has a very low success rate. This is why we perform

the surgery.

What's the difference between a pressure dressing and a pressure bandage? I have my own ideas (eg. to me a pressure dressing would be one of those that I described - actually, Rappie described it better - being a Vet, she can :shrug: - but I mean the type where the dressing/bandage is on both sides of the ear flap and the ear is sutured to resemble a quilt. Whereas a bandage to me is something that wraps around something) but I'm not sure that everyone reading would be on the same page, nor whether I am right.

A haematoma is not a tumour of blood! It is simply blood outside of a blood vessel. As I stated in my previous post - the lightly blood stained fluid is what is

left over after the blood forming the haematoma has clotted. There would be a big clot left in the ear (this is surgically removed when vets perform the surgery)

What you are doing is not an "experiemental" treatment. It has been tried by vets many times before and has a very low success rate. This is why we perform

the surgery.

Ummm what do you know about the new/experimental treatment that is being carried out? I haven't discussed it. It is something that is now being done in place of surgery which gives a better result if successful.

HAEM = blood and TOMA = tumour. Do vet nurses do medical terminology these days?

Rough Latin translation. A haematoma, strictly speaking, to qualify, must be blood filled. There is no way in human medicine that this space filled with serous fluid would be called a haematoma.

What's the difference between a pressure dressing and a pressure bandage? I have my own ideas (eg. to me a pressure dressing would be one of those that I described - actually, Rappie described it better - being a Vet, she can :shrug: - but I mean the type where the dressing/bandage is on both sides of the ear flap and the ear is sutured to resemble a quilt. Whereas a bandage to me is something that wraps around something) but I'm not sure that everyone reading would be on the same page, nor whether I am right.

the surgery.

Ummm what do you know about the new/experimental treatment that is being carried out? I haven't discussed it. It is something that is now being done in place of surgery which gives a better result if successful.

HAEM = blood and TOMA = tumour. Do vet nurses do medical terminology these days?

Rough Latin translation. A haematoma, strictly speaking, to qualify, must be blood filled. There is no way in human medicine that this space filled with serous fluid would be called a haematoma.

I am not a vet nurse - I am a qualified veterinary surgeon with many years experience.

Call it what you will. Your dog has a haematoma and needs to see a vet.