First Time In Obedience

My current girl was trained in both from baby puppy. I have always been an obedience person but decided to try something different with this girl. Depending on the breed there are some differences in training but if you train different commands and teach the dog what you want then you shouldn't have a problem.

For example, my girl is glued to my leg staring up at me during heel work, for showing she is running at a gait looking straight ahead usually just in front of me - I use two different commands for these exercises and don't have any problems with her getting confused.

I found the same. Ahsoka knows the difference between obedience and showing - different lead, different clothes, different preparation, different cues/commands. She's never once thought we were doing obedience when we headed into the show ring. As with Seita's girl, Ahsoka knows the difference between heelwork and gaiting.

I do Obedience and Showing with both the Dallies and my Pug. Obedience has taken back stage atm to Flyball but hopefully I will have Daisy in CD soon and the new baby in CCD.

You can do both and the obedience really can compliment the showing. I love doing a "stand" with the Pug on the table and then standing back so the judge can look at her without me holding her.

You can do both and the obedience really can compliment the showing. I love doing a "stand" with the Pug on the table and then standing back so the judge can look at her without me holding her.

That's a good point... I take Jedi into neutered class when it comes up and he's so well behaved! Stand for examination and stand-stay for the line up... He's rock solid! With him I don't even feel like I need to be there! :laugh: