Pup And Older Dog Eating Out Of Same Bowl

corvus

Erik seems to have this weird hangup where he won't finish what's in his bowl until I put it in front of the other dog, then Erik's head is in it along with Kivi's and they clean it up together. I feed Erik and Kivi seperately. I give Erik about 5 minutes to eat what he wants and once he's wandering around no longer looking interested in his meal, I take it out and give it to Kivi to clean up and let Erik out.

I have this vague feeling that I shouldn't let this happen, but not really sure why. Kivi and Erik are comfortable sharing the leftovers and if Erik is super hungry, he finishes his meal without Kivi's help. To me it seems like Erik is just interested in whatever Kivi's got, but maybe I'm wrong. Could it lead to any problems later on, do you think?

Food can make any dogs fight even pugs. Personally I think you are heading towards big problems when one of them decideds they do not want to share.

How often are you feeding Erik and how much? Perhaps feed less or if he decides he has had enough remove the food and serve it for the next meal.

Erik seems to have this weird hangup where he won't finish what's in his bowl until I put it in front of the other dog, then Erik's head is in it along with Kivi's and they clean it up together. I feed Erik and Kivi seperately. I give Erik about 5 minutes to eat what he wants and once he's wandering around no longer looking interested in his meal, I take it out and give it to Kivi to clean up and let Erik out.

I have this vague feeling that I shouldn't let this happen, but not really sure why. Kivi and Erik are comfortable sharing the leftovers and if Erik is super hungry, he finishes his meal without Kivi's help. To me it seems like Erik is just interested in whatever Kivi's got, but maybe I'm wrong. Could it lead to any problems later on, do you think?

I don't see anything wrong with removing Erik's food promptly if he loses interest in eating it. But I probably wouldn't let him see Kivi eating his left overs, and I certainly wouldn't let them both share the left overs together.

Letting them share leftovers might work out just fine in the longterm, but when Erik gets a little older and loses his "puppy license" it could also lead to fights over the leftovers. So I'd personally be laying down the law before there are any problems, and start proactively teaching both dogs to stick to their own bowls at dinner times.

JMO.

Thanks, that makes sense. I knew there was a reason why I felt like I shouldn't be doing it. I was giving Erik a little extra than I thought he needed as the breeder said she lets them eat as much as they like at this age, but I'm getting a good feel for how much he's going to eat, now, so I think I can feed him just enough that he'll slow down a bit at the end but clean his bowl. If he loses interest I think I'll tip the leftovers into Kivi's bowl and keep Erik locked up until Kivi is done.

It may not be an issue now but later when the pup is not a pup it may become an issue.

My boys are not allowed to eat out of each others bowls and this is strictly enforced by me. If one was to leave something in their bowl (which is extremely unlikely) then I take that food and put it in the bowl of the other dog - he is not allowed to help himself.

From very early on, my dogs/puppies are encouraged to eat separately. On occasions if I have a fussy eater, I'll let them eat within sight of each other (sometimes a bit of competition at the food bowl can encourage a slow eater) but always with at least a fence, crate or pen between them.

Here separate bowls BUT everyone is allowed a shared lick of a plate,which is a treat .

It is great to have dogs who can share but im of the belief there bowl is there dinner & what goes in one may not be the same in another whether it be meds etc etc & its always easier to teach early the food rules

Thanks, that makes sense. I knew there was a reason why I felt like I shouldn't be doing it. I was giving Erik a little extra than I thought he needed as the breeder said she lets them eat as much as they like at this age, but I'm getting a good feel for how much he's going to eat, now, so I think I can feed him just enough that he'll slow down a bit at the end but clean his bowl. If he loses interest I think I'll tip the leftovers into Kivi's bowl and keep Erik locked up until Kivi is done.

Sounds like a plan. :laugh:

Looks like I work a bit differently than most postings here.

My three dogs sit and wait and then i put a bowl in front of each and tell them to go for it....They each eat out of their bowl and if one finishes first they will stand and watch the others..... if they get to close to another dogs bowl you will often hear a low warning growl and if they dont move back i might step in and correct the dog wanting to invade another dogs space.

However once any of the dogs walk away from their bowl the others will of dive in and lick the bowl.... Generally they all end up licking each others bowls...

Have done this with our multiple dog household for years and havent had fights.....

Work on the principle that the bowls actually belong to ME... the food might be theirs but once the food is gone or they have walked away there is no need to fuss. I also leave the bowls stacked on the floor in the corner of the kitchen and although they keep going over for a look and a sniff or even a lick, i dont allow them to carry them around, after all the bowls belong to me.

When food is plentiful (as with our domestic dogs) hunger is not an issue. Even in the wild when a pack makes a kill, they all pull apart and share the kill. Arguements are generally minor and just tiffs.

Interesting, alpha bet.

My last dog was a bit on the food obsessive side and was allowed to clean other dogs' bowls once they had left them. I ended up putting a stop to it when she started to get super obsessive about it and wouldn't go outside until she had licked every other bowl in the house. It was very silly, but once I'd broken the habit I got slack and let it happen again and it never got that obsessive again so I just let it continue and it never caused a problem. Kivi learnt to eat very fast and learnt that if Penny wasn't feeling very hungry he wasn't welcome to her bowl until she'd walked away from it.

I honestly could not imagine Kivi getting snarky about anything. He's 17 months old, now, and still hasn't ever growled. It could happen, though, and if it were going to it would probably be over food.

Hi Corvus-

I feed my two at the same time, within sight of each other. I put the bowls down in front of them, give them the command to eat, and that's fine. However, they both like bowl swapping - sometimes Boof will not touch his until Tash has finished with hers (although she never finishes it all) - then he will start. Tash will watch him, and then there is like some wierd signal between the two of them, where he will go and clean up what is in her bowl, and she will have the rest of his - and then there is a bit of backward and forwarding. I used to worry about it a bit, but then I guessed that it relates to the dog hierachy, and really, as long as I'm still the leader, I leave the manouvering up to them - as long as its all peaceful (which it is).

Mind you, when we have more doglets, that may change, so I will just monitor the dynamics.

Oh, I should add that bones are a different matter.....there is active competition for those, but they have to be nicely fermented and, while there is an entire garden of buried bones, its the one that the other dog has that is most desirable!! :thumbsup: