Eating Everything Off The Ground

Have had a bit of a problem with Taite since I got him in that he eats/chews everything. I know he is still a puppy but if I can somehow manage the problem now I would like to get it under control before he ends up in surgery from something stuck inside him. When I take him out as soon as he is out of the car he is picking up things to chew and eat and I am constantly having to fish things out of his mouth, most occasions I can get him to drop it and swap it for something else, sometimes he listens to the leave it command which I have also taught him but often he clamps down and ignores me. It isnt just out and about though he constantly looks for things to chew inside and in the backyard despite me giving him interesting toys and rotating them each day.

I am very concerned because I have had to fish out dangerous things out of his mouth and a few times they were shards of glass, I dont want him to get sick from eating something bad either. Im not really sure what to do at this stage, I keep training the leave it and getting him to drop things out of his mouth but really would like to stop him grabbing everything of the ground, I try and watch but my vision isnt all that great and I often miss things and its so hard to stop him eating everything he sees and someone be talking to me at the same time. I feel that in some way I have done something wrong with his training I just dont know where I went wrong and he somehow is reinforced when chewing things on the ground.

Edited by Two Spirit

How old is he? And are you sure he really understands what "leave it" means?

If so, I think it's probably better to tell him to "leave it" before he picks something up, and reward him if he does so, rather than waiting for him to grab something then trying to trade with him for it.

I'd be keeping him on a leash or long line for the time being anywhere there was a chance he'd eat something weird. You can give the "leave it" command whenever he goes to pick something nasty up, and have the ability to enforce the command using the long line if he ignored you (prevent him reaching the item). You can call him over to you to reward him with something tasty if he leaves the item on command. When he's 100% at leaving things on command on the long line, I'd try him offline then.

Others may have different suggestions, but that's what I'd be doing if it were my pup.

:banghead:

aah..

here's a trick you may want to try..tho it may annoy the heck out of you :D

What I have done with pups is get one of these- It's called a ROD BELL..and is a little round bell - like the ones in pet toys/on collars but on a flexible spring- with a clip. It is VERY sensitive to movement.

I used to attach them to the pup's collar and after a short while, you get to know exactly what the pup is doing- by the sound the bell makes :provoke: it is also useful at night.

handy for praising/correcting, cos you can tell if pup is scratching/eating/running, whatever..even if you are not watching!

The other thing I can think of is that , whenever you go out..have a special toy- one he LOVES..and that is only for outside..he gets it as you go out the door, perhaps?

Does he enjoy kongs?

Iceblocks?

Does he actually EAT stuff, or just play with it?

thinking maybe , because ,when he does it you come running, and check him out, and talk to him... maybe he enjoys the attention.

Have you done T O T with him, to get his attention on YOU before he gets his food/toys?

The other think - if you feel it is compulsive..ie: if it's the first thing he does when he's outside..is try him with a basket muzzle when he's not actually being walked on lead/played with .... I still use one with hamlet on occasion..he will eat anything resembling food- whether old bones, fat dripped on the dirt...

Hope someone can help you out- it is a worry, I know!

edit to add- the 'leave it' command, or in my case a loud 'YUCK'.. is ok.. but for a constant ,driven ,Hoover.. it soon loses its appeal :banghead:

Edited by persephone

How old is he? And are you sure he really understands what "leave it" means?

If so, I think it's probably better to tell him to "leave it" before he picks something up, and reward him if he does so, rather than waiting for him to grab something then trying to trade with him for it.

I'd be keeping him on a leash or long line for the time being anywhere there was a chance he'd eat something weird. You can give the "leave it" command whenever he goes to pick something nasty up, and have the ability to enforce the command using the long line if he ignored you (prevent him reaching the item). You can call him over to you to reward him with something tasty if he leaves the item on command. When he's 100% at leaving things on command on the long line, I'd try him offline then.

Others may have different suggestions, but that's what I'd be doing if it were my pup.

:banghead:

He is just coming up to four months. No I am still working on the leave it, he doesnt fully grasp it yet and the way he goes Id be commanding leave it every second. I never have him offlead he is always on lead next to me or near me, a normal lead I wouldnt have him off lead at this age yet. Im not sure I understand about preventing him reaching the item, it doesnt matter where I am he will grab something, if there is nothing there he will turf up the grass roots and all and eat that, do I pull him away with the leash? Hoping I am making sense?

aah..

here's a trick you may want to try..tho it may annoy the heck out of you :coffee:

What I have done with pups is get one of these- It's called a ROD BELL..and is a little round bell - like the ones in pet toys/on collars but on a flexible spring- with a clip. It is VERY sensitive to movement.

I used to attach them to the pup's collar and after a short while, you get to know exactly what the pup is doing- by the sound the bell makes :thumbsup: it is also useful at night.

handy for praising/correcting, cos you can tell if pup is scratching/eating/running, whatever..even if you are not watching!

The other thing I can think of is that , whenever you go out..have a special toy- one he LOVES..and that is only for outside..he gets it as you go out the door, perhaps?

Does he enjoy kongs?

Iceblocks?

Does he actually EAT stuff, or just play with it?

thinking maybe , because ,when he does it you come running, and check him out, and talk to him... maybe he enjoys the attention.

Have you done T O T with him, to get his attention on YOU before he gets his food/toys?

The other think - if you feel it is compulsive..ie: if it's the first thing he does when he's outside..is try him with a basket muzzle when he's not actually being walked on lead/played with .... I still use one with hamlet on occasion..he will eat anything resembling food- whether old bones, fat dripped on the dirt...

Hope someone can help you out- it is a worry, I know!

edit to add- the 'leave it' command, or in my case a loud 'YUCK'.. is ok.. but for a constant ,driven ,Hoover.. it soon loses its appeal :thumbsup:

Thankyou for the suggestions, will get Nathan to do the bell for me, that would be very useful.

yes he enjoys kongs and iceblocks.

He actually eats the stuff, often find it coming out the other end, I dont think Id be as worried if it was just playing. We do TOT and NILF. It is very compulsive and he does it even inside, people I dont know even comment on it when I am out with him. With the muzzle will it stop him doing it when he is older, and no longer has the muzzle on? sounds kind of extreme to me but willing to try if it works.

Two Spirit- how much time has your boy spent 'free' and exploring by himself as a baby? perhaps he missed out on a lot of the baby mouthing/tasting/smelling stuff, and is now trying to do it all?

I would not advise the constant 'leave it' stuff... esp. as he has not mastered it yet... makes life miserable for everyone :thumbsup:

sounds kind of extreme to me

yeah- I was mortified when I had to do it with Hamlet (post surgery to remove sticks etc :thumbsup: )

BUT - after a short time- he was much more interested in sniffing, running and playing, than constantly searching for, and eating stuff. result? much more relaxed owner, and dog.

Mind you, he was not under 12 months... and still had plenty of chew time with meaty bones/kongs/etc.... and when he grew some brains, and was a bit more settled the muzzle was not needed much :coffee:

I do still use it if we have had visitors who may have thrown away BBQ bones etc- or there is new junk lying around....

Edited by persephone

Two Spirit- how much time has your boy spent 'free' and exploring by himself as a baby? perhaps he missed out on a lot of the baby mouthing/tasting/smelling stuff, and is now trying to do it all?

I would not advise the constant 'leave it' stuff... esp. as he has not mastered it yet... makes life miserable for everyone :thumbsup:

sounds kind of extreme to me

yeah- I was mortified when I had to do it with Hamlet (post surgery to remove sticks etc :thumbsup: )

BUT - after a short time- he was much more interested in sniffing, running and playing, than constantly searching for, and eating stuff. result? much more relaxed owner, and dog.

Mind you, he was not under 12 months... and still had plenty of chew time with meaty bones/kongs/etc.... and when he grew some brains, and was a bit more settled the muzzle was not needed much :coffee:

I do still use it if we have had visitors who may have thrown away BBQ bones etc- or there is new junk lying around....

Im not sure how much he got when with his litter, when I visited him from 4 weeks onwards there wasnt alot of toys, we brought our own for the pups to have, they were in a run outside and Taite was the only pup eating and chewing rocks and all. I know he got alot when he was with us after we got him and we have lots of chew toys and kongs etc for him.

Thankyou that makes sense with the muzzle, I think I will use that as a last resort as need be, will try with the bell and keeping a toy for going out to keep him amused outdoors.

He is a dalmatian and they DO eat anything and are brilliant at finding and stealing things to eat or chew. I had one that used to pick up used chewing gum very sneakily when being walked and walk along chewing it. Also at 4 months he is starting to teeth. They do improve as they mature.

You need to make sure that anything dangerous in the house is above dalmatian height, shut doors - particularly laundry doors etc (ask his breeder about the dog she had who ate some clothing). The same with the garden. I also train them as pups to happily give up what they are eating by swapping it for a treat. I train this on something appropriate for them to chew and offer a higher value treat in return for letting me remove it from their mouth. I now have no problems removing things from dally mouths but I do give it back if it is all right for them to have.

Empty soft dring bottles make good toys (just remove the lid and plastic ring around the neck. You can also put some treats in them. My girl at 8 still loves playing with them and finds them hard to chew bits off. Her other favourite toy is bras if she can steal them as they make great tug toys for playing with the other dogs.

He is a dalmatian and they DO eat anything and are brilliant at finding and stealing things to eat or chew. I had one that used to pick up used chewing gum very sneakily when being walked and walk along chewing it. Also at 4 months he is starting to teeth. They do improve as they mature.

You need to make sure that anything dangerous in the house is above dalmatian height, shut doors - particularly laundry doors etc (ask his breeder about the dog she had who ate some clothing). The same with the garden. I also train them as pups to happily give up what they are eating by swapping it for a treat. I train this on something appropriate for them to chew and offer a higher value treat in return for letting me remove it from their mouth. I now have no problems removing things from dally mouths but I do give it back if it is all right for them to have.

Empty soft dring bottles make good toys (just remove the lid and plastic ring around the neck. You can also put some treats in them. My girl at 8 still loves playing with them and finds them hard to chew bits off. Her other favourite toy is bras if she can steal them as they make great tug toys for playing with the other dogs.

Thanks for the suggestions, we do this with things inside and in the garden, and I already do the swapping for a treat and higher value rewards. The breeder also suggested with the drink bottles and Taite does play with them.

Hi Janba

I agree Dallys do like fishing! :thumbsup:

Taite seems to have been talented at eating anything since we first met him at 4weeks- his eating problem though has become worse and as my partner Tithen[Two Spirit] mentioned, very compulsive.

He has only just started to come into teething, his ' I'll eat anything in my mouth' has been non-stop since he has been with us. The only difference now is he is 'extra mouthy', on top of his already well defined, eating everything. :thumbsup:

Inside the house, its as safe as it can be- Tithen prepared for this well in advance before Taite come into our lives. The yard is just , a yard. Grass, one big eucalyptus tree, no garden.

As much as we do what we can inside, it is more intense and extreme when he is outside.

Not just the yard, parks, showgrounds etc are jammed packed with things for him to gobble.

Since we have had him home with us, we have always used the higher value-reward system - what is in Taites mouth, has always been swapped for something of higher value. So Tithen has been doing that, and as Tithen said, it really isnt 100% or efficient enough to stop Taite from this very bad habit. I probably didnt explain that very well, but Tithen really has done his research and has been doing the most positive things with Taite.

Empty soft drink bottles [with treats inside also] was a suggestion from the breeder when we first met Taite and although Taite does still enjoy them [for about 5-10min!] After which, it is straight back to nose on ground and searching for twigs, sticks, whatever else he can dig up in the yard and munch on happily.

Fortunately for us we have got our boy from a very good breeder and do get alot of hints, suggestions from them as well. I also think its good to welcome other ideas, and this way if there is anything Tithen cant work around with Taite, theres always something else to try and tackle :coffee:

Persephone

We will take his favourite toy's out with us on future trips outside and see if this helps. And also try the rod bell suggestion!.

Cheers

Nathan

Hey Two Spirit, an exercise I have just learnt that might be of use to you is called 'its your choice.

It is a Susan Garrett thing and my guys love it.

I have a handful and a sweet boy in my two collies and both of them learned this so fast. They learn that it is better to leave it - lots of fun and very easy to train.

Hey Two Spirit, an exercise I have just learnt that might be of use to you is called 'its your choice.

It is a Susan Garrett thing and my guys love it.

I have a handful and a sweet boy in my two collies and both of them learned this so fast. They learn that it is better to leave it - lots of fun and very easy to train.

Thankyou so much for that video, I learnt heaps and tried it with Taite already learnt to leave food on the floor inside, he learns quick and is so smart I just have trouble keeping up with him lol.

They are smart aren't they? My two got it really quickly and it is great for puppies. Glad you got some value from it ;)

Susan G also has an awesome video called crate games....similar principles to that video. It is brilliant.

Thanks everyone for the help, have tried some of the suggestions, went for a walk with Taite at the park today, he didnt pick up anything off the ground the whole time, just sniffed around and explored, he went to pick up a big stick at the end, but left it when I called him away. Was a very pleasant walk and none of us were stressed. Will keep working on things and using the suggestions.

Mym - thanks, I have wanted to get the crate games DVD just havent had the finances yet, hopefully soon.

Edited by Two Spirit

humm lets see leo has some nick names for some of his habits.... the grazer is one... just turned on year old. he learnt to swallow while we yell leo! drop it... so i am not sure how to tackle it.

i would be better making a list of what leo hasn't eaten :laugh::eek::) .

he has been taught by the resident poo eater well... i am hoping the grow out of it option is coming up....

your taitey is such a cutey pie!