Lightroom

tlc

Hi guys, for anyone really cluey with LR, is there a way once a pic has been edited that you can revert it back to the original. I know you can do it in history or click on reset, but something happened and i seem to have somehow managed to make the pic almost half the size length wise, it happened when i was exporting the pic out of lightroom, not sure why so now the edited pic is skinny and half of each side of the pic is missing. And the reason for this post is usually i would just start again with the original but when i exported it asked if i wanted to make copys (as i put them back in with the originals) or overwrite and i choose overwrite (which i never usually do) cause i was only going to use this particular shot for posting in dol..

hope this makes sense and hoping someone can advise me on if it is possible to get the original back??

Nope didnt work, it is like somehow it has saved the picture as it is. I havent got a clue how I did it? Im so annoyed. It wasnt even like it was a fab shot but I was going to use it and Im kicking myslef cause I never overwrite I always save as a new file so I still have the original.... Grrrrr, but thanks for your help it was worth a try.

Arrrrggghhhhh, Im so stupid, I thought I had reformatted the memory card but i havent so I still have th original, what an Idiot I am :dunce:

Although still curious if this ever happens again as to if there is a way to go back to the original.

Edited by tlc

Before I edit anything in lightroom I usually just right click and make a virtual copy, and edit that one. I then export it if I like it and want it saved outside of lightroom.

I was only using my point and shoot ixus 970 so not in raw. With my work flow I dont auto import strait to LR I save a copy of everything in My pictures, then I import what I want to edit in to LR (or if raw files the whole lot so I can convert them to jpegs) then I edit and export back to my pics usually putting the edited files into a new folder within the original folder, so then I have all originals and also edited copys, all in the same folder. Maybe Im doing it the hard way, but it is the only way I really know that works for me. But like I said this time I overwrote the original and something went horribly wrong in the process, cropping the pic even more and then not letting me convert it back. I had tried everything to figure it out before I posted cause i didnt want to look like a total loser :dunce: to find I hadnt reformatted the memory card anyhow, der!! But still it is a mystery as to why it happened??

I purchased a copy of lightroom and it is not a cheap program as you guys would know, Is it possible to download the whole program of something like limewire? or bit torrent? and if so then can you use it without buying it? a friend was asking me and I was curious as I thought adobe products were only able to be used by 30 day trial or by buying them? Also is it the same with PS. I bought both of mine PS cs4 and LR2 when i was doing my photography course and I had my student card, it was a lot cheaper than getting them full price.

I think you're adding an extra step by not importing straight into lightroom :dunce: You can set what folder it imports to, and the format of the folder it's creating, so you can tell it to import to My Pictures/21.2.09 for eg.

When you edit them you could then export the whole folder to a newly created one (done in lightroom) like My Pictures/21.2.09/Edited

yes I see what you mean therefore making it one step less I have to do causer LR will do it for me. Will have a look at my settings and see if Im game enough to do it!! There is something funny going on with it anyway I click the box to say dont import when mem card detected and it doesnt for about the next 2 times then after that LR automatically opens, its kind of like it is buggy. makes me think, Maybe Ill go see if there is any updates?? Thanks for the help.