Printing Photos On Home Printer

ruthless

I have an Epson photo printer. If I want personal prints for myself or friends I find it prints better quality than Kmart, Harvey Norman, etc. [i send important stuff to a proper lab.] I can only get 4x6 or 5x7 glossy photo paper for it though. All other options are A5, A4, A3 sizes and finishes. Does anyone know if I can use third party photo paper? I asked Epson, but I don't imagine they'll give me an unbiased answer!

I have an Epson photo printer. If I want personal prints for myself or friends I find it prints better quality than Kmart, Harvey Norman, etc. [i send important stuff to a proper lab.] I can only get 4x6 or 5x7 glossy photo paper for it though. All other options are A5, A4, A3 sizes and finishes. Does anyone know if I can use third party photo paper? I asked Epson, but I don't imagine they'll give me an unbiased answer!

Yes, you can use 3rd party papers.

What printer do you have?

I have an Epson printer (an R2400) and use either Epson or Ilford papers.

The Ilford Gallerie range is pretty good.

What sort of paper do you want to use?

Matte or Gloss?

Cool :cool:

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 1410. I'd like to be able to use matte and gloss papers, depending on the image.

Where do you buy Ilford paper from? I presume I won't be able to use the Epson Easy Photo Print software anymore as it only has options for their paper sizes and finishes? Do I just print from PS?

From Epson ...

Thank you for contacting Epson Support.

Epson Australia cannot guarantee the printed results from third party papers so are unable to recommend another brand.

Just make sure that you put the right settings in for printing - makes all the difference to choose the correct paper type.

How do I select the right settings if I'm using Ilford paper and therefore can't use the Epson software?

Edited by ruthless

From Epson ...
Thank you for contacting Epson Support.

Epson Australia cannot guarantee the printed results from third party papers so are unable to recommend another brand.

Just make sure that you put the right settings in for printing - makes all the difference to choose the correct paper type.

How do I select the right settings if I'm using Ilford paper and therefore can't use the Epson software?

I pick the closest Epson paper.

For Ilford Gloss papers - I use the printer setting for the Epson Gloss.

Oh - and yes - just print directly from Photoshop. That's what I do. The print dialogue will give you options for paper type. Just choose the closest Epson match.

Edited by Luke W

Great, thanks :banghead: Do I get it online or from a photo shop or an office shop? :)

Camera House in Melbourne or Ringwood (Vic) have a good range, so Cam House in Sydney maybe would stock it. Ilford have a high quanitity limitation on their retail outlets so you can't ask a shop to order in just one box at a time. Tis the loveliest paper though, worth the effort to find, they have pearl and art-paper finishes as well as the gloss and semis. Like you I'd only home-print for own prints, everything goes to pro-lab.

They are on-line at this site but I haven't used it yet: and prices are lower than I've paid in stores - http://www.ausmedia.com.au/ilford.htm - this shows the full range.

Luke do you get a better deal in Melbourne anywhere? We used to buy from Harvey Norman, but they stopped stocking Ilford when Ted's stopped.

Edited by PossumCorner