Head Halti Vs Body/chest Halti?

Hi,

I have two GSDs. i currently use the head halti to walk them using a double ended lead however i can only walk one at a time with this method. i dont really like using the head halti.

I was in petbarn a few weeks ago and saw there is a halti that uses the pressure points in dogs chests and was told this was the far better halti?

Has anyone used this new chest/boby halti and if so do you prefer/recommond it?

I would like to be able to walk both Xena and Boss together but i dont want to waste my money on buying this new body halti if it doenst really work.

Barbi

A non-pull harness (what you call a body halti) is a lot better for the dog than a head halter.

Training to walk on a loose lead is even better than that! :angeldevil: Dogs can learn to pull on anything given time. There are no magic bullets on this one.

Edited by poodlefan

A non-pull harness (what you call a body halti) is a lot better for the dog than a head halter.

Training to walk on a loose lead is even better than that! :angeldevil: Dogs can learn to pull on anything given time. There are no magic bullets on this one.

I thought it might be. i have tried walking them without the halti but it just doesnt work, thats why i thought the body halti could be good. Once they get over the excitement of the walk i can use the lead connected to the collar and they walk ok utill they see another dog (their very friendly, but unfortunately strangers dont like seeing two GSDs). Thats why i thought if i can get them using the body halti it could be another smal step to loose lead walking?

Agree with poodlefan - you need to work on getting both dogs working to a loose lead.

Both dogs must understand to refer to you when walking and become accepting and patient, then they will easily respond and give to any pressure no matter from the nose the neck or the chest.

There are many trainers who can offer techniques to help you. Then you will be able to walk 2 or even 3 dogs without playing macrame with the leads, or, being dragged off down the road.

Ring up and talk to trainers in your area and really question what they can offer to suit you before you outlay any cash. Good trainers are happy to chat and then give you a good feeling as to who you think can work best for you. Just remember sometimes trainers might be busy and you might need to call back when they have some time to chat.

All the obedience in the world is usless if you loose control when the dog is distracted.

Best of luck.

Agree with poodlefan - you need to work on getting both dogs working to a loose lead.

Both dogs must understand to refer to you when walking and become accepting and patient, then they will easily respond and give to any pressure no matter from the nose the neck or the chest.

There are many trainers who can offer techniques to help you. Then you will be able to walk 2 or even 3 dogs without playing macrame with the leads, or, being dragged off down the road.

Ring up and talk to trainers in your area and really question what they can offer to suit you before you outlay any cash. Good trainers are happy to chat and then give you a good feeling as to who you think can work best for you. Just remember sometimes trainers might be busy and you might need to call back when they have some time to chat.

All the obedience in the world is usless if you loose control when the dog is distracted.

Best of luck.

Thanks

Xenabosslaying30aug09.jpg