Heeling

Hi All,

I'm having a bit of a struggle with one of my dogs, he heels perfectly off lead but as soon as the lead is clipped on he pulls like a freight train. Its quite bizzare and I want to take him back to square one, with the lead attached differently (ie will use a collar instead of his harness) and try to retrain him.

Does anyone have any ideas for good exercises or games I can do with him to make it more fun? My Toller would also benefit from a bit more heel work, I've been really slack and letting them get away with too much on walks!!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

"Heeling", is different to walking. You don't heel when you walk,.....you walk.

Making it "not fun" to pull is usually the quickest way to fix it.

Also, people with problem dogs that need motivation for "heeling" (ie; for trialling) are best to focus on building the dogs drive, rather than to think up "fun games" to try to improve things. The dog will be having loads of fun, if it is exercising its drive in full flight :laugh:

this may be a daft question but how do you build drive?

Sue & Cindy

"Heeling", is different to walking. You don't heel when you walk,.....you walk.

Making it "not fun" to pull is usually the quickest way to fix it.

Also, people with problem dogs that need motivation for "heeling" (ie; for trialling) are best to focus on building the dogs drive, rather than to think up "fun games" to try to improve things. The dog will be having loads of fun, if it is exercising its drive in full flight :rofl:

Hi S&C

There are many ways to build, and to direct a dogs natural drive,.....depending on what type of drive your dog responds best to.

A great foundation for building drive is the TOT program, pinned at the top of the training forum.