Another Damn Chocolate Eating Dog Thread, Sorry

Ok. Evidently Saki's been reading DOL lately and getting ideas.

She's eaten about 12 Ernest Hillier chocolates - I'm trying to look up the chocolate toxicity table thingo but I need to know how much chocolate that is in grams and I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to that sort of thing.

How big is an Ernest Hillier chocolate? They were mostly the big square strawberry flavoured dark chocolate ones left. Would that be 5 grams of chocolate, 10, 20, ...?

Saki's 33kg so I'm sure she's nowhere near the life-threatening end of the table regardless, just trying to work out what sort of intenstinal joys to expect :thumbsup:

And she's now sitting next to me after running a heap of zoomies in the yard, so seems fine.

Apparently 25 grams each, so that's 300 grams into 33 kg.

So not toxic enough to cause heart problems but toxic enough to cause intestinal problems.

Damn dogs!

(Yes I'm the idiot the left the chocolates inside a box inside a plastic bag on top of a desk that Saki could reach.)

Yes well this was mostly filling, so the actual amount of chocolate would be less than that.

Rang the vet and they just said to keep an eye on for half an hour and bring her in if her behaviour changes - I was like well she running around really hyper and now is lying down half asleep - and they were all, oh no is that normal? And I had to say, well yes, yes it is for her :thumbsup:

Hope Saki is ok Sam :rofl: I'd be freakin out :laugh: but thats cos I stress too much!!

She sounds like she's doing ok though Lovie.

Her poop is gonna be interesting :thumbsup:

Good luck ..... and as if you didnt already know, please go straight to the Vet if anything turns nasty.

Having been through this last week, you have approx. 2 hour window to induce vomiting. Obviusly the sooner the better.

I wouldn't take the risk with toxicity or pancreatitis with my breed.

Straight to the vet to induce vomiting and then he was fine.

Wow really? I did ring the vet and they didn't seem concerned at all, only said bring her in if she's acting strangely...

She's eaten an entire bag of Chikos when she was a pup, I was in such a panic but she was totally fine, they wouldn't pump her stomach then so I'd be surprised if they would this time?

Wow really? I did ring the vet and they didn't seem concerned at all, only said bring her in if she's acting strangely...

She's eaten an entire bag of Chikos when she was a pup, I was in such a panic but she was totally fine, they wouldn't pump her stomach then so I'd be surprised if they would this time?

Schnauzers can be prone to pancreatitis and my boy is almost 11 (still naughty though :thumbsup: ) and he only weighs 9.5kg.

I discussed with two vets (my own and a local one) and they agreed to make him vomit as we were unsure of the quantity he ate.

I am sure Saki w ill be fine. :laugh:

It is 1/4 ounce of DARK chocolate per 1 kg of weight for a toxic dose according to my vet

ie. 140g [approx 1 and 1/2 blocks of Lindt] of dark chocolate could potentially kill a 22kg dog

Edited by Ravyk

Good to hear she's fine :vomit: I've read that dark chocolate is the worst it has the highest level of the toxic substance whose name I've forgotten :laugh: Sonny ate nearly a whole block of white chocolate the day before he was due in at the vets when I got there they said not to worry as white chocolate is the least dangerous.