Vet Recommendations Sydney Inner/greater West

Hey guys,

i'm getting a labrador puppy at the end of this week and am looking for a vet in Sydney's inner/greater west. Right now i've only heard of one in Homebush which is leaning towards the expensive side. Just looking for a reasonably priced vet for the regular checkups, vaccination etc. Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks!

Hey guys,

i'm getting a labrador puppy at the end of this week and am looking for a vet in Sydney's inner/greater west. Right now i've only heard of one in Homebush which is leaning towards the expensive side. Just looking for a reasonably priced vet for the regular checkups, vaccination etc. Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks!

We go to a guy called Matt at Quakers hill - if that's not too 'greater'. He's awesome, worked at guide dogs for a while so knows labs well.

There's also a vet at Russell Lea (near Five dock) that uses 'natural' therapies that I think a few DOLers have been to.

Others will have reccs I'm sure - but please don't let $ drive your decision too much. I know they can be expensive but your dog's health is obviously v valuable.

Thanks for the reccom but i think Quacker Hills is too 'greater' for us...

Yep totally agree that money shouldnt be the only factor when considering a vet but as a new dog owner i'm not at all familiar with the average cost of each procedure. i'm just looking for a good vet which we can constantly go to without wondering if we're getting significantly overcharged :wave:

Animal Tracks at Homebush is excellent.

All Natural Vet at Russell Lea is also good but they are more expensive, depending on what you do. Balmain's vet is also good. Enmore vet is also a rescue centre from what I understand (they advertise in the newspaper at weekends).

Not sure if Carlingford in on your radar but the vet there is supposed to be excellent.

I know a great one around Pennant Hills.

Other than that, having used them this week for my cat - recommend the Sydney Uni Vet. I would not recommend Sydney Animal Hospital for anything other than toe nail clipping and anal gland emptying or as a last resort later at night (open til 11pm).

I know a great one around Pennant Hills.

Other than that, having used them this week for my cat - recommend the Sydney Uni Vet. I would not recommend Sydney Animal Hospital for anything other than toe nail clipping and anal gland emptying or as a last resort later at night (open til 11pm).

Another recommendation for the Sydney Uni Vet :wave:

Animal Tracks at Homebush is excellent, I have a friend who takes their dogs there. I cannot the praise of the Animal Referal Hospital Strathfield South highly enough for emergencies they operate 24 hours they revived Dida after a cariac arrest and she us now treated by staff there for Addisons.

Enfield Vets are friendly, ok for shots and checkups but based on experience not sure I would take Dida back there.

Edited by Man

Which vet Danois?? I live in Thornleigh and go to Hornsby vet. Cherrybrook vet is also good from what I hear.

dogmad - it is the Pennant Hills vet.

My vet from Lane Cove has taken over the clinic and I will now be making the trek from Inner West.

I had a real illustration of different approaches to vet care this week. Milo (cat) was unwell - I went to Sydney Uni Vets as my vet was not yet open. Cannot fault the care - thorough examination and very competent. Their approach was to take blood and faecal sample on Thursday night and monitor and if no better on Monday then we would have to do imaging. Even talking biopsy and endoscope.

I took him back Saturday - different vet and this one gave him an anti-emetic to stop nausea and ABs so see if there was an improvement over weekend. Funnily enough there was and I am $500 poorer.

My usual vet would have started with that as the first option then moved to testing etc if no improvement. The younger vets seem to opt to test for everything as the first option and hope to chance upon something.

Anyway - point of the story is give Ian a go at Pennant Hills - I trust him completely with my lot and he was brilliant with Angs.

Which vet Danois?? I live in Thornleigh and go to Hornsby vet. Cherrybrook vet is also good from what I hear.

Cherrybrook Vets is awesome, I have taken my animals there for the last 10 years and they are terrific!!!

I would highly recommend Gladesville Vet Hospital. :laugh: I live 45 minutes away and wouldn't go anywhere else.

Professor Max Zuber and all his team are fantastic vets, and treat your dogs with great compassion and care. Also open 7 days a week.

My vet from Lane Cove has taken over the clinic and I will now be making the trek from Inner West.

I

Interesting, thanks for that. I knew it certainly wouldn't have been the previous inhabitant of the practice!!!

And I've heard great things about Gladesville vet too.

Edited by dogmad

I had a real illustration of different approaches to vet care this week. Milo (cat) was unwell - I went to Sydney Uni Vets as my vet was not yet open. Cannot fault the care - thorough examination and very competent. Their approach was to take blood and faecal sample on Thursday night and monitor and if no better on Monday then we would have to do imaging. Even talking biopsy and endoscope.

I took him back Saturday - different vet and this one gave him an anti-emetic to stop nausea and ABs so see if there was an improvement over weekend. Funnily enough there was and I am $500 poorer.

My usual vet would have started with that as the first option then moved to testing etc if no improvement. The younger vets seem to opt to test for everything as the first option and hope to chance upon something.

Anyway - point of the story is give Ian a go at Pennant Hills - I trust him completely with my lot and he was brilliant with Angs.

Another vote for Ian here.

I live Bankstown area and will still go to Ian unless it is urgent.

awwww you guys are too nice :(

Ian's officially starting this Thursday. I'll be started with him (and thus reuniting the A-Team :rofl: ) on Wednesday the 9th. The place needs some work, but that aside, Ian is a wonderful vet - you only need to be at his old place a few hours and see how upset his previous clients are, to hear how loved he is!

I

Interesting, thanks for that. I knew it certainly wouldn't have been the previous inhabitant of the practice!!!

Glad I could clarify it dogmad - no idea about the previous vet there but I do know how good Ian is.

In fact both him and his vet nurse (who is a DOLer) were nominated for MDBA awards last year - Best Supportive Vet and Best Vet Nurse.

1+ re Sydney Animal Hospital - emergencies only due to their long hours and move to a more caring less mercenary environment ASAP!! Note that Northumberland Ave at Stanmore and the Matraville practice all belong to the same vet and the same criteria would apply.

I often use Sydney Uni for simple things and as I have a minor breed I feel it is my duty to inflict them on the baby vets from time to time!! Yes there are dogs bigger than a breadbox in the inner city!! I like the double handling they get there - helpful when the dogs are younger.

But the good vet who hasn't been mentioned is Livingstone Road, Petersham. Dr Janet Cridland. Can't beat them.

Meea

This scares me as i have just been at Strathfield this week and am contemplating using them for surgery on my dog. What are peoples thoughts regarding vets in South West Sydney. I live in between Bowral and Campbelltown but am prepared to travel.