I Need Some Strong Arguments

As the title says I need some good strong arguments as to why there is no need to hit or scream at your dog. Nothing im saying is working and I feel so sorry for the little guy :( Whenever he sees his owner he is always being very submissive but of course it means he's done somthing wrong so he gets another flogging :grouphug:

As the title says I need some good strong arguments as to why there is no need to hit or scream at your dog. Nothing im saying is working and I feel so sorry for the little guy :( Whenever he sees his owner he is always being very submissive but of course it means he's done somthing wrong so he gets another flogging :grouphug:

I agree with Poodlefan. For someone like that, the act of "discipline" is personally very reinforcing. No amount of practical advice about what will work and what won't matters, because ultimately it's about having an avenue to let fly at something that can't retaliate, it's not about training. Occasionally pointing that out to someone will shame them into a rethink, sometimes it won't.

Someone came up to me once in my capacity as a volunteer trainer and told me that they had hit their dog - from the look on their face I think they were hoping for a reaction. I just said evenly that that won't work to fix the problem. They then said "oh I know, but I was so angry". A lot of people already know that beating the dog won't work, they do it because they want to and because they can.

1. If the dog keeps doing the same thing despite the punishment, the punishment clearly isn't working.

2. Dogs can't learn if they are in a stressed state, hitting him just makes them confused and frightened.

3. If what you (not meaning you, whitka :rofl: ) really want is a better behaved dog, take the time to train the behaviours you want, or manage the dog so the bad behaviours don't have an opportunity to occur.

4. Hitting is not training. No that isn't guilt on it's face, and it isn't trying to get back at you.

5. If what you really want is to release some anger, get a punching bag and stop treating your dog like one.

5. If you don't have time or patience to train, get a stuffed dog and give your dog to someone who understands it's a living, feeling animal.

7. Your dog needs to trust you to learn. How wonderful would it be for your dog to really trust you - and how despicable that a big smart human like you thinks it's OK to beat up a lovely dog you are lucky to have.

...and if that doesn't work, somehow get them to give up the poor dog.

Constant flogging of a dog is a great way to engender fear and not much else.. as Anita says, maybe this person enjoys that. :grouphug:

You could try asking them what a child would turn out like if everytime a parent saw it, they punched it in the head.. it's the same basic effect.

Edited by poodlefan

errrrr because it is abuse? plain and simple?

the only time I've hit a dog was because it was intent on tearing my face off and it was literally life or death with that animal. Didnt make me feel like a hero but saved me a trip to the emergency room.

Not that the answer in ANY way makes it okay, but why is the person doing it? That may help with the solution.

Becuase its the only way they will learn, for instance he chewed up some shoes last night but becuase he knew what he did wrong he needs to be punished.

Cos these are my housemates.

I point out how i've never hit my dog ( and never will ) and yet he still turn out to be a good dog with the right sort of training.

Edited by whitka

Becuase its the only way they will learn, for instance he chewed up some shoes last night but becuase he knew what he did wrong he needs to be punished.

Cos these are my housemates.

Tell him to put his shoes away and they wont get chewed. Id be getting rid of the housemates theres no way I could live with anyone who beat up their dog :)

Edited by Paganman

Whitka I would not share a house with someone who treats their dog this way. The risk that they will treat YOUR dog this way is too great. :)

If you have the lease, give them their marching orders. If you don't, I strongly recommend you move. I'd be telling them why too.

It's abit harder then that, it's my boyfriend's house and im living with him, they only moved in a couple of weeks ago. I dont want Toby there for that reason so he's at my parents house. I've told my bf that if anyone hits my boy there would be hell to pay :)

It's abit harder then that, it's my boyfriend's house and im living with him, they only moved in a couple of weeks ago. I dont want Toby there for that reason so he's at my parents house. I've told my bf that if anyone hits my boy there would be hell to pay :)

Then talk to your boyfriend. Sounds like you'd be better off if the housemates are gone.

Unless they're complete morons, it sounds like they just don't know how to deal with the dog and are doing the only thing they think will work.

How about you grab the dog and a clicker one day and teach the dog something cool to show the owners when they come home (something like beg, spin, speak on command or balance a treat on his nose then flip it off, just some cool little trick that will impress them)? If you can demonstrate that you've already taught the dog something using your methods, then they might be more inclined to listen when you tell them the dog can be trained using your method.

Edited by Staranais

Yep RSPCA

Of course you could say to them, "I've told you time and time again that hitting the poor dog wont make it more obedient. Maybe I should just keep hitting you until you get the message"

Keep you boy at parents so they cant exact the same 'discipline' on him and tell the BF they have to go - the abuse of the animal is too upsetting for you and making you sick.