Strong Lead Types?

I was walking Buster and he pulled suddenly to sniff a pile of old furniture on the side of the road and the metal clasp on his lead that attaches to his collar snapped in half :p .

He didn't realise and kept trotting along beside me but I wouldn't want that to happen again and he run in front of a car or something.

It was just a cotton lead I got when I joined up for obedience but the metal didn't look really cheap.

What lead would you recommend buying in future? How do do know if the clasp in a quality metal or not?

Hi Bluestaff

I have three of K9 Force's leather leashes and they are the best! The leather is so nice to hold and the clasps are made out of brass and will definitely not break or snap like the leashes that have the die cast chrome snaps can do. I think I'm really spoilt after having the leather leashes, because whenever I hold a leash that is cotton or nylon I realise how nice mine are to hold :p

http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=leashes.html

:laugh:

I have the leather double ended police leads from www.fordogtrainers.com

they have been in salt water, dog drool, and had a 60kg dog smack the end time and time again at full run. 4 years old and still going strong not even a tear in the stitching.

I was walking Buster and he pulled suddenly to sniff a pile of old furniture on the side of the road and the metal clasp on his lead that attaches to his collar snapped in half :) .

He didn't realise and kept trotting along beside me but I wouldn't want that to happen again and he run in front of a car or something.

It was just a cotton lead I got when I joined up for obedience but the metal didn't look really cheap.

What lead would you recommend buying in future? How do do know if the clasp in a quality metal or not?

It's difficult if not impossible to tell the quality of a snap hook by looking. It's about knowing whether the metal has been die cast or not. I tend to find that the majority of leads that are commonly available via commercial retail outlets have the cheaper fitting and that it is especially the webbing/nylon leads that have them.

I'm often explaining to people about the 'cheapness' of the snap-hooks on their leads and what can happen, but I think most regard me as merely being anal because they've never had this happen to them. Until one day it does. And there are two dangers involved :

1. To the dog because it means you have lost your means of restraint and control.
  2. To the person, as it means the lead, being under pressure, can fling back towards and even in the face of the handler. I can easily imagine injury (potentially loss of an eye) through this occurrence.

I too have a small stock of the leather leads that K9 Force sells, so that there is an availability to purchase by my clients. Both the leads (leather) and the fittings are excellent quality.

I prefer the brass fittings than the silver ones (which are usually the cheaper fittings) however K9 Force has some newer stock (of which I have a couple) that comprise of the silver snap hook, but which I believe are high quality.

It often does come down to you getting what you pay for. Although admittedly in some cases, you pay for more even though you get less (I've seen the prices on some of the fancy webbing leads, with their cheaper quality fittings). In my experience, the quality of the fittings isn't even considered when people buy leads. It's the asthetics of them (eg. fancy colours/weaves) that tends to sway purchase decisions.

Edited by Erny

In my experience, the quality of the fittings isn't even considered when people buy leads or colours. It's the asthetics of them that tends to sway purchase decisions.

Totally agree Erny, although for me there isn't anything nicer than a well made leather leash. I prefer the look to the leashes that have bright colours/patterns, I think a nice leather leash looks smart and stylish :)

Ive got a K9 Force leather one too though it is my second because I chopped my first in half with a pair of very large tree clippers :rofl: That was completely user error and nothing to do with the quality of the lead. Unfortunately nothing anyone can do about idiots :)

Lead quality is v important to me. I met a poor lady whose daughter had lost her beloved stafford at a busy junction near Moore Park. She was waiting at the lights with the dog on lead, dog saw something across the road, pulled, lead snapped and dog went under a car. So sad.

I wouldn't risk a cheap lead particularly if you have a strong breed who is given to the odd lunge.

get a saddle maker to make one up for you

that way you can choose the width and length of the lead that suits u

and the price is reasonabul as well

i use a 25mm wide X 6ft long lead for my rotty the reason i have it so wide is i have big hands and i find it rest nicly

i know that width wont suit many peope hands but thats an example

I agree with Cramet....

I get leads made by a a local lady who makes horse gear. A lovely 6 foot lead costs me about $35 but will last and last....

Harness leather is much better quality than anything used for commercial dog leads and the brass clips from horse suppliers are also great quality. I have one that is about 14 years old and still going strong.

the good thing with harness leather is that it softens with use.. a light soak in warm pure oil for 10 minutes, wipe clean and let sit.... within a couple of weeks you will find it as smooth as a babys bum on your hands....

K9: Our leashes must not be "commercial" then, as ours are soft right from new, no oil, no wearing them in.

The one I use in my training every day was taken out of stock in 96, still in perfect condition, & I cant imagine how many dogs have been on the end of it as it is used commercially.

also try Black Dog if you want a strong webbing lead with a strong clip...

www.blackdog.net.au

I wouldn't try a clip with a strong dog - they are renowned for breaking. I think most trainers recommend a buckle (any many schools don't allow clips due to the break risk).

also try Black Dog if you want a strong webbing lead with a strong clip...

www.blackdog.net.au

I wouldn't try a clip with a strong dog - they are renowned for breaking. I think most trainers recommend a buckle (any many schools don't allow clips due to the break risk).

i've never seen a lead with a buckle instead of a clip. I would be very interested in a photo if you have one.

I have a feeling Megan is talking about collars (ie plastic clip types -vs- buckle fittings). Pro-K9 does not approve of the plastic clip type collars for training and/or restraint purposes either. I've seen too many of them 'give'. Again, it is a safety issue and not one that many people give credence to because, in the absence of instruction, they assume a collar is a collar is a collar.

Edited by Erny

I know of at least one school that didn't allow webbing leads due to long-term wear-and-tear and rope burn if you need to grab the lead.

I don't mind webbing leads for the smaller dogs - provided it is good quality and there are no signs of wear and tear and for training, if it is long enough. But for the stronger dogs and dogs of medium size upwards, I prefer a good quality leather lead (of course, also with good quality fittings).

I've been scarred by some nylon leads. Hate them.