Heeling Footwork Diagrams Or Videos?

http://www.basset.net/kay6.html

Try this site.

I would recommend getting some instruction from someone who is good at it and work on it constantly until it becomes natural - without your dog!

One of my former occasional instructors used to practise his footwork while walking around his office. Pity he didn't instruct more, maybe my footwork would be a damn site better than it is now. :laugh:

http://www.basset.net/kay6.html

Try this site.

I would recommend getting some instruction from someone who is good at it and work on it constantly until it becomes natural - without your dog!

One of my former occasional instructors used to practise his footwork while walking around his office. Pity he didn't instruct more, maybe my footwork would be a damn site better than it is now. :laugh:

Thanks Jess.

I like Kay Laurence diagrams in her Clicker world obedience book :confused:

A great game a friend and I used to play was to put our dogs away, have one of us heel and the other one call out turns and C&T the humans when they got it right :whisper: - Works a treat! (pardon the pun!)

The other thing to do is to have someone blindfolded and link arms with you as you practice the foot work. You will find they will have a MUCH better idea of where you are going if your footwork is correct! Guess what - same for the dog too :rofl::o

I like Kay Laurence diagrams in her Clicker world obedience book :confused:

A great game a friend and I used to play was to put our dogs away, have one of us heel and the other one call out turns and C&T the humans when they got it right :whisper: - Works a treat! (pardon the pun!)

The other thing to do is to have someone blindfolded and link arms with you as you practice the foot work. You will find they will have a MUCH better idea of where you are going if your footwork is correct! Guess what - same for the dog too :rofl::rofl:

*Runs to my bookshelf* :o

Edited by Luke W

I like Kay Laurence diagrams in her Clicker world obedience book :eek:

A great game a friend and I used to play was to put our dogs away, have one of us heel and the other one call out turns and C&T the humans when they got it right :laugh: - Works a treat! (pardon the pun!)

The other thing to do is to have someone blindfolded and link arms with you as you practice the foot work. You will find they will have a MUCH better idea of where you are going if your footwork is correct! Guess what - same for the dog too :shhh::rofl:

I get people to this all the time.. but you also need ear muffs so that the " human dog" can't hear you otherwise they will follow your commands. It is a real eye opener for alot of people

I also get the person being the dog to hold the end the lead as people can't use an arm to guide the person as much. Works a treat too (until I fall down laughing at some of the behaviour that is offered by pretend dog as the drops and sits can be quite funny to watch at times)

When my obedience club used to do traditional training we were taught to do turns by pivoting on the toes of the foot we were turning into. So left turns were pivot left on left foot. Right pivot for right turns. When doing about turns it was important to follow the same track once you had turned about. Always leave on left foot for heeling by taking 1 short step in normal pace to give dog a chance to keep up then walk as requested. Don't look down at your dog, look straight ahead & keep your hands in the one position.