Venison Ears

VJB

My dog cannot eat pigs ears or anything that has a high fat content. It just doesn't work and causes problems with her bowels. I've since found that venison ears are a fantastic substitute, and they are great. :confused: That being said though, how often would it be reasonable to give her one.....2-3 times a week? Does anyone else know of any other low fat chews that are available. I recently saw a post about a cow hoof, but from memory someone suggested that they can be bad for teeth.

Morty gets maybe 2 a week as a treat (generally on Sunday after Obedience class is when he gets one) - the other maybe mid week sometime....

Glad Heidi likes them - I've found another source for them up here where I can buy them loose rather than in packaged lots of 10 - I think we bought 30 the last time we were there :confused: so we have a few in "storage"

Edited by FionaC

i have a small dog, a Bostone Terrier who has allergies and these would be great for her. can you tell me whwther they would be ok for her in relation to size? sorry but i have never seen them so i don't know whether they are only good for big dogs.

also, where would i buy them please?

You can buy them at petbarn in bags of 10 or 20, they work out to be around $2 each. The other place is on ebay, where you can purchase them for much cheaper at $1 each. The sellers shop is called dog food 2 u.

Sheeps ears are apparently much smaller and also very low in fat. They might be worth a go for a smaller dog.

You can buy them at petbarn in bags of 10 or 20, they work out to be around $2 each. The other place is on ebay, where you can purchase them for much cheaper at $1 each. The sellers shop is called dog food 2 u.

Sheeps ears are apparently much smaller and also very low in fat. They might be worth a go for a smaller dog.

thank you for the info, much appreciated...off to ebay now!

I tried giving Alex the Mini Pin a venison ear today after he tried for a while to tuck into a little bit of beef tendon and couldn't make it happen. He gave up on the venison ear very quickly as well. But he is miniscule. I used to give my wee little corgi lamb ears and they were quite good, but she could eat a pig's ear without too much trouble.

Kangaroo has very low fat content as well. I just bought some kangaroo jerky from the afore mentioned ebay store along with the venison ears and beef tendon. It looks pretty good and is meant to be really tough. My dogs like kangaroo, but I think a lot of dogs don't. My mum's dogs are not especially keen on it.