Demodex Treatment - Now Actually With Photos

Rappie

I have seen demodex being discussed on the boards recently - I've also recently been treating a very special young dog that has it. (I also have permission from his new owner to post his gorgeous mug on the interweb :o)

This little dude turned up at our clinic in June, one of our clients found him under their house. He was a stray, no chip, skinny, full of worms, lacking a lot of hair, about 6-7 months old and weighing a touch under 11kg. After speaking to a few of the right people, we ended up with council approval to treat him while he waited out his time in our hospital and then find him a new home if no one spoke up for him. I did a skin scrape on him and found a raging demodex party in his skin - we describe an infection by how many mites we see on a single 'field' down the microscope. Normally when we catch demodex early, we see may 6-10 mites per field. This guy had 30-40 very alive mites per field. Literally creepy crawly.....this is a generalised case of demodex.

So, here are some photos from the day after he arrived:

IMGP7016.jpg

Week 1

Week 1 - #2

We started him on a premium dry food, antibiotics, oral ivermectin, weekly Malaseb baths and liberal doses of TLC applied by all members of our staff (including our boss, who took a few days to realise we'd hidden a puppy in our isolation ward ;) )

And one week into treatment - at this point he was still leaving a trail of dead hair and scurf and scale behind wherever he walked.

IMGP7449.jpg

Week 2

And at 6 weeks into treatment (and now a lovely 15kg):

IMGP9044.jpg

(Scuse the willy in the next one - he's not perfect!)

Week 6

Week 6 #2

Handsome and huggable no?

He's since gone to a new home where he is very much loved. He had his first negative scrape today. Although he's got some other health issues we need to work through, he's given a whole veterinary hospital a serious case of the warm and fuzzies. He turned up on our doorstep and we've done what we can to help him. The council paid for his initial diagnosis and treatment which covered his first week in hospital, the rest has been done with love by myself and a dedicated team of nurses with the aid of a few soft hearted people in the council team. He's now got a great home with a lovely family (and the best bit is that we still get visits ;) )

Edited by Rappie

reminds me of Ruby

I bet he had no idea how good life can be until now!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Those people that work at that clinic are suckers for mangey pups, obviously. ;) :o ;)

I mean, not that I would know anything about it.... *runs and hides*

Welcome to the world of rescue Rappie :mad

Great job! You and the rest of the clinic staff are to be congratulated.

Can I ask what course of treatment he was put on?

Here's my best demodex story;

Day 1:

post-3413-1249943340_thumb.jpg

6 weeks later:

post-3413-1249943358_thumb.jpg

Edited by PugRescueSydney

Awsome job. what a gorgeous looking boy

Also to you PRS well done :mad

Had a little chuckle at the "hiding him from the boss" comment. Remembering how we used to do this and spend all our time keeping boss vet out of certain rooms.

Welcome to the world of rescue Rappie :rolleyes:

Great job! You and the rest of the clinic staff are to be congratulated.

Can I ask what course of treatment he was put on?

Here's my best demodex story;

LOL, thanks PRS :laugh:

He was put on daily oral ivermectin, 3 weeks of cephalexin (antibiotics) and weekly malaseb washes. Apart from that, he got Royal Canin Medium junior, some intestinal wormers and TLC. Once his skin was improving we desexed and vaccinated.

Well done Rappie and Co!!!!

Demodex can be a real bugger can't it! Great to see such a handsome young lad end up where he deserves!

My boss once went to lunch and we had 3 dumped kittens in need of homes. He came back and I told him we had rehomed one of the kittens. Great, he asked how many to go? My reply 8. He was like what! Oh i had a box of kittens brought in that had been seen, being dumped in an industrial area in a plastic bag under some trees. He just shook his head and said it wasn't even safe to go to lunch! Even funnier he took two home which many years down the track, he still has.

Even the boss can be a softy sometimes :rolleyes: