New Dog, New Mistakes...

I have a 10-year-old GSD x Kelpie from the pound I made many mistakes with. I learnt a lot since then and she has turned out pretty good in the end. So when Quen, my Weimaraner came along I thought I implement all those things and I will have a great dog straight from the beginning. Didn't quite work out... So finally I realised my mistakes and corrected them. Most of the problems are gone, there're just a couple left. One is, that Quen starts crying when left alone. I know Weimaraners are prone for SA and I've tried to train against it from day 1. But I think I haven't done enough. So now I walk him by himself (also for him to gain some self-conciousness) one day and Hera the next. As soon as I leave with Hera he howls. Sometimes he settles very quickly but other times I still hear him howling 900 m away from my house. Do you think it just needs consistency and he'll learn? Or is there anything else I could do?

The second problem with him isn't really a major problem but an annoying one and I just don't know how to go about it. Both of the dogs are crated outside. When I get up in the morning, Quen whimpers a bit as soon as he hears me and when I'm dressed, I come downstairs, let them out and we go for a walk. Quen is exited to go for his walk and likes going on a walk. What he doesn't like it the preparation before the walk. He doesn't come and stand still to get his coat/collar/leash put on. Really annoying. I think the reason for that might be a) he hates the Halti and b) he hates the choker. I used either one or the other on him for our walks as he was pulling so badly. I've got this under control now and walk him on a flat collar but he's still playing up every time before we go for a walk. Can anyone help with this? Thanks!!!

A friend and her partner have 15 Weimaraners. I visit from time to time, and have not noticed them to be particularly vocal or suffering from separation anxiety.

SA to my mind, is diagnosed when kennel pacing, toiletting, and other stress signs.

Apart from barking, which normally is attention seeking, any other symptoms?

A friend and her partner have 15 Weimaraners. I visit from time to time, and have not noticed them to be particularly vocal or suffering from separation anxiety.

SA to my mind, is diagnosed when kennel pacing, toiletting, and other stress signs.

Apart from barking, which normally is attention seeking, any other symptoms?

Well when I leave him behind with y old girl he's fine. He might whimper a bit but he always whimpers a bit. But when I leave with the old girl and leave him behind he gets all nervous/anxious running up and down the fence line howling and crying. Like I said sometimes he settles, sometimes he doesnt.

definitely no expert here, but thought I'd throw a few random thoughts your way.

Have you tried leaving him with a kong or boredom buster when you leave him alone?

I also had a dog who would be vocal when I left with the other dog (perhaps not as bad as yours, but I could hear him two blocks away some mornings!). What worked for me, and may not work for anyone else), was this. Dog is crated in room near front door. I left with the other dog "as normal". I stepped off the deck, and he started barking/whining. I immediately stepped back and tapped on the window and gave a firm "no". Haven't had a problem since - but I also have no idea why it worked!

With the not standing still before I walk, I would probably take the attitude of - you don't stand still, you don't get to go for a walk. With my other dog, she runs around like a loon sometimes when she knows we're going for a walk. If this happens, I just take her collar and lead and sit quietly on the lounge. She has a set period of time before I give up to get herself under control. My other thought is that you could try "bribery" to create a good association with the collar and lead. Have a yummy treat and when he is waiting quietly, put his collar and lead on and reward.

definitely no expert here, but thought I'd throw a few random thoughts your way.

Have you tried leaving him with a kong or boredom buster when you leave him alone?

I also had a dog who would be vocal when I left with the other dog (perhaps not as bad as yours, but I could hear him two blocks away some mornings!). What worked for me, and may not work for anyone else), was this. Dog is crated in room near front door. I left with the other dog "as normal". I stepped off the deck, and he started barking/whining. I immediately stepped back and tapped on the window and gave a firm "no". Haven't had a problem since - but I also have no idea why it worked!

With the not standing still before I walk, I would probably take the attitude of - you don't stand still, you don't get to go for a walk. With my other dog, she runs around like a loon sometimes when she knows we're going for a walk. If this happens, I just take her collar and lead and sit quietly on the lounge. She has a set period of time before I give up to get herself under control. My other thought is that you could try "bribery" to create a good association with the collar and lead. Have a yummy treat and when he is waiting quietly, put his collar and lead on and reward.

Thanks for the suggestions pip. I could put a great meal out there for him - he wouldn't touch it when I leave with the old girl. He's got toys and kongs and all that but he stops whatever he's doing when he sees out going out. I tried getting back saying 'no' - I would never leave.

Yes, I have tried treats before the walk but as soon as I come with the coat/collar he spits it out and starts shivering. :mad

Yes, I have tried treats before the walk but as soon as I come with the coat/collar he spits it out and starts shivering. :mad

Does the dog have a bad association with the collar???

Is the dog a rescue as well or have you had it since it was a puppy??? (sorry wasn't clear in your 1st post)

Does the collar only go on when the dog goes for a walk???

Does the dog have a bad association with the collar???

Is the dog a rescue as well or have you had it since it was a puppy??? (sorry wasn't clear in your 1st post)

Does the collar only go on when the dog goes for a walk???

I had Quen since he was a pup. He never had a bad expereince with the Halti, he just didn't like it. He had a bad experience with the choker once. When I tugged on it his ear was in it and that hurt him. He never had a bad expereince with the coat either. He's fine with taking the collar off, just not on. And yes the collar goes only on when we go for a walk or if visitors come over.

Not much help but had similar issues with my weim despite doing all the leave alone stuff from day 1. The first was solved with very large bones and a treatball, but sounds like you tried that. The second occured as a result of ear pinches from check chains (leather slip collars are much better), afraid we did solve it but not really helpful to you. In our case we had two weeks crate rest due to an injury with only onlead walks....by day three he loved the sight of his lead and collar, and has never looked back.

I had Quen since he was a pup. He never had a bad expereince with the Halti, he just didn't like it. He had a bad experience with the choker once. When I tugged on it his ear was in it and that hurt him. He never had a bad expereince with the coat either. He's fine with taking the collar off, just not on. And yes the collar goes only on when we go for a walk or if visitors come over.

I suggest try putting the collar on when you play, and when you feed the dog, make the collar have a fun/good meaning. Even if you could leave the collar on for a long period of time. Does he enjoy his walks???? Try to take Quen to the collar rather then taking the collar to quen.

have you tried with a brand new collar that has no negative connections?

Don't reward behaviour that shows he is scared, this encourages the behaviour. Ignore the scared/ timid behaviour.

Edited by Casster17