Buying From The Us

Kirislin

With the Aussie $ strengthening against the US I really think if I was to upgrade I could save alot if I bought from the US. I dont know the ins and outs though, do you have to pay duty on top of the purchase, if so, does it also apply to 2nd hand? If I insure the goods am I covered for the full amount if they get lost or damaged.

What about guarantees? I'm sure there's stuff I haven't thought of.

Anyone who has experience please chime in.

Warranty a major issue as you mention.

Very rare to get local service / warranty on US-purchased stuff.

Some camera brands offer it, but double check.

My OH bought an apple mac and had to ensure he upgraded to an int'l warranty, same with us for our GPS that we bought while living there.

ok then - spit it out - what are WE buying now :)

:laugh: not telling

but but but .... we might get a bigger discount if we buy two :crossfingers:

I'm just teasing you. :) I dont know if I will buy anything but it's just that the $$ is good right now, if ever you were going to take the plunge, now would be a good time.

I suppose my wish list would be a 1D Mk lll for the super fast FPS to catch those whippies and maybe the 70-200 2.8, dont know if I'd get the IS, an 85L simply because it's the most beautiful lens I think I've ever seen (which I realise is a really stupid reason), but this is JUST a wish list, a tripod, ummmmmmmmmmm, that's all I can think of for now.

well I bought a monopod during the week (not as big or sturdy as Luke's of course :crossfingers: )

wondering about the Sigma 70 - 200 lens

I guess I'm trying to experiment to see if it's the camera, the lens or the photographer - in which case I will give up :)

I just want sharper pics than what I get now.

Where in the US do you look?

I buy from the US but I'm not the best one to ask because I honestly don't care about warranties. Icouldn't even tell you which bits can be serviced where (for some reason I think lenses are international and bodies are country of purchase? Dunno, can never remember.) If it needs work done I just ship it to wherever I have to. Happily I can count on one hand the times any of my gear has had to go to the dr's over the past 10 years.

If your order is under $1000 Aud you don't get done for GST when it arrives.

Double check all amounts and details with customs - a phone call or their web site should clear stuff up, probably.

I'm lovin' the dollar at the moment as I have a few things that need purchasing and there's a trip in my future - not often I have such good timing!

Oh and I love my 1DIII, though my 40Ds are no slouches when it comes to freezing action either. As much as I love the 1DIII, if I was in it for shooting action, I'd be sorely tempted to buy 40Ds and some really fast, long glass instead of plunking down the extra for the 1DIII body.

anniek - I have a pro tog friend who has that Sigma 70-200 and he ADORES it to bits. Says you can pry it out of his cold dead hands. And he's had the Canon IS 2.8 version but the Sigma lives on his camera. I haven't tried it and I have the Canon 2.8 IS which I love, so can't see myself adding the Sigma. I do have Sigma's 50-150 2.8 and it's totally fantastic. Factor in the price I paid for it and it's dreamy.

I buy from the US but I'm not the best one to ask because I honestly don't care about warranties. Icouldn't even tell you which bits can be serviced where (for some reason I think lenses are international and bodies are country of purchase? Dunno, can never remember.) If it needs work done I just ship it to wherever I have to. Happily I can count on one hand the times any of my gear has had to go to the dr's over the past 10 years.

anniek - I have a pro tog friend who has that Sigma 70-200 and he ADORES it to bits. Says you can pry it out of his cold dead hands. And he's had the Canon IS 2.8 version but the Sigma lives on his camera. I haven't tried it and I have the Canon 2.8 IS which I love, so can't see myself adding the Sigma. I do have Sigma's 50-150 2.8 and it's totally fantastic. Factor in the price I paid for it and it's dreamy.

I have priced the Sigma in Oz the same as the US.

Have read lots of reviews on the Sigma v Canon and they all seem to say the same thing - that they are equal in results.

Kja - dumb quesiomn - I only have the 400D, and I understand that a non canon lens must come with a canon mount - but does the canon mount fit all canons? Would what ever I buy for the 400D also fit something newer - if/when I do upgrade?

At the moment I am trying to keep each individual purchase under the $1000 - OH doesn't flip so loud when he only sees three figures :)

He seemed :crossfingers: that the monopod was only two figures.

Was thinking should maybe just trade the greys in for something slower?

Kja - dumb quesiomn - I only have the 400D, and I understand that a non canon lens must come with a canon mount - but does the canon mount fit all canons? Would what ever I buy for the 400D also fit something newer - if/when I do upgrade?

Short answer, is "yes" your third party Canon mount lenses should fit a newer Canon body should you decide to add one later :thumbsup:

*Some* Canon lenses will NOT fit all Canon bodies without modification. Cases in point - Canon's awesome 10-22 & 60mm macro is built for the 1.6 crop sensors (400D, 450D, 40D, 50D etc) and will not work on the 1.3 crop bodies (1DIII etc) or the full frame bodies (5D, 5DII, 1Ds etc). There is a mod you can do, but off the shelf they do not work. Another reason I have the Canon 10-22 AND the Tokina 11-16 :laugh: Every Canon lens that will work on a full frame will work on a crop sensor camera, but not the other way around.

To make it easy, here's a short list of the ones that don't play nice on FF (I think there are more but these are the only ones I have LOL):

60mm marco'

17-55 2.8 IS

10-22

You will pay about $300 import duty on items over AUD1,000 so not really worth it if you are ordering just over $1,000 worth of gear.

That was what I found when I researched it anyway.

Edited by Ripley

Here is an example for the govt website:

Example: Import of goods (other than tobacco products or alcoholic beverages) valued above $1000

Item valued at AUD2,000

AUD$

Customs value (Cval) $2000.00

Customs duty (Duty) @ 5% of Cval 100.00 (Payable)

International transport and insurance or postage (T&I) $150.00

Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI) (Cval+Duty+T&I) $2250.00

Goods and Services Tax (GST) @ 10 per cent of the VoTI $225.00 (Payable)

Total payable Duty + GST $325.00

I like buying books from the US - but gear comes from here. I also like supporting businesses that are helpful and very quick delivery (my canon stuff comes from quality camera sales but you will find cheaper but not receive the advice he offers). QCS I had ordered a battery and when I got around to trying to charge it up it wouldn't charge and he sent me one that arrived next day - it was here before I'd had a chance to ask if he wanted the faulty one sent back. And located in perth gives you a little longer during the day (SA & otgher states time) to place an order that arrives the next day.

You will pay about $300 import duty on items over AUD1,000 so not really worth it if you are ordering just over $1,000 worth of gear.

That was what I found when I researched it anyway.

Do you know if this applies to 2nd hand stuff too?

Those taxes and charges are so totally unreasonable. But you do need to be aware of what you might get charged when you make a decision. Best to price things up for both options and see what ends up with the most ticks in the Positive column.

I believe it applies to anything that comes with an invoice and stated value ;)